Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday we got to test drive the Tesla Model X and also the Nissan Leaf (having previously done the Jaguar I-Pace at Millbrook proving ground special event). Tesla and Jaguar packages are quite simply stunning. Tesla wins on simplicity, connectivity and charging, but Jaguar wins on it being a drivers car by some margin. Would love either of those. Nissan Leaf fails (as I expected it would) on first main criteria, driving position. No rake and reach adjustment, only one, which is dire considering even the cheapest of cars have this functionality these days. So Kia and Hyundai are looking like best all round solution and Kia e-Niro is at least obtainable in the near future, whereas the Hyundai Kona EV is on a 9month (42weeks) delivery schedule! So have placed a deposit with local dealer who has an allocation of 20 of the very first cars to reach the UK. I am about 12 in that batch of people who have done so and they expect the remaining ones to be gone in the next couple of weeks and then the phone will probably ring constantly. Will update here on info (price/specs) as it trickles down from Kia HQ, to dealer to me.
For the obvious follow up questions...

£1000 deposit, fully refundable. I originally emailed several weeks ago, the 2 closest Kia dealers to sound out their response Late one evening. One responded that same evening! The other I have heard nothing from. The dealership is a chain, so there are other kia ones in the south that are also doing the same deposit pre-order. I even had a generic email to all saying can preorder so they are spreading the word. Dealership is Brayleys. Like all dealerships it’s down to people who are enthusiastic and want to promote EV’s and seems I found one, can’t be sure of others and they have several brands across the group too.

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing confirmed on what actual prices will be until actually announced (only going on what various press info has stated in discussions with UK chief executive and president Paul Philpott) and since gov car grant changes been announced, think they will announce pricing next month. Trust it doesn’t end up too high and may well cancel if too high. Not thinking of buying outright, as all our previous cars have been, so PCP or other approach may well suit if it’s a bit more than expecting. My gut feel is Kia want to sell this car and realise it’s a game changer, but price is crucial to that. The fact they are training all 192 dealerships to sell this vehicle compared to 33 for the Soul, suggests they are serious.

Reactions: Paul M

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'll be contacting the Kia dealership tomorrow (Monday 19th Nov) to see if they have some news.

EMG (Cambridge) | Kia Car Dealer Cambridge - Cambridgeshire | Kia UK

Do you know if the dealers are going to get units in for test driving when the order books open? I'm due to test drive the PHEV to give me some idea of what the BEV would be like, not sure whether to do that now.

thanks

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
Well yesterday we got to test drive the Tesla Model X and also the Nissan Leaf (having previously done the Jaguar I-Pace at Millbrook proving ground special event). Tesla and Jaguar packages are quite simply stunning. Tesla wins on simplicity, connectivity and charging, but Jaguar wins on it being a drivers car by some margin. Would love either of those. Nissan Leaf fails (as I expected it would) on first main criteria, driving position. No rake and reach adjustment, only one, which is dire considering even the cheapest of cars have this functionality these days. So Kia and Hyundai are looking like best all round solution and Kia e-Niro is at least obtainable in the near future, whereas the Hyundai Kona EV is on a 9month (42weeks) delivery schedule! So have placed a deposit with local dealer who has an allocation of 20 of the very first cars to reach the UK. I am about 12 in that batch of people who have done so and they expect the remaining ones to be gone in the next couple of weeks and then the phone will probably ring constantly. Will update here on info (price/specs) as it trickles down from Kia HQ, to dealer to me.
For the obvious follow up questions...

£1000 deposit, fully refundable. I originally emailed several weeks ago, the 2 closest Kia dealers to sound out their response Late one evening. One responded that same evening! The other I have heard nothing from. The dealership is a chain, so there are other kia ones in the south that are also doing the same deposit pre-order. I even had a generic email to all saying can preorder so they are spreading the word. Dealership is Brayleys. Like all dealerships it’s down to people who are enthusiastic and want to promote EV’s and seems I found one, can’t be sure of others and they have several brands across the group too.
I've been in contact with three local dealers and they were all saying the same thing. Until the car is released in the UK they can't order a car. I have my name on the list at our most local dealer. I'm the second of three people who have been in and said we want to order one when we can.
I've been told that they can take a deposit if I want to place an order but it isn't going to push me any further up the queue as they can't place an order yet.
At the moment I'm number two on their list and they will contact me as soon as they can order or they have cars allocated to them.
Any Kia dealer can do that, but they can't place orders for the e-Niro, according to my dealer, and no cars have been allocated yet. You're probably being spun a line to get money on the table and commit earlier than necessary.

If the tweet from Kia UK saying April is a release date we have a way to wait, but I hope it's cars on the road in April.

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Based on my initial dealer reply recd. they should have some demo cars available across the country.
See below...
The car is due to launch early 2019, so we would be expecting to get a vehicle a few weeks before release date (to be confirmed). It is unconfirmed as of yet when you will be able to order these cars, however we are now taking initial deposits (subject to pricing and specification) in order to secure one of the first E-Niro’s to land in this country, if you would like to do this then please do give me a call....

I am nearly retired, so do some part time demo delivery driving for a local company who deal with a number of major brands, so have driven nearly all possible variants of diesel, petrol, hybrid, PHEVs and EV’s over the last year. The brands include Toyota, Lexus, Hyundai, Kia, Merc, Alfa, Jeep, Fiat, Maserati. I know that Hyundai and Kia planned to get EV’s onto their demo fleet as soon as available, so there should be demo vehicles once Kia get them into the UK.

I would recommend viewing and test driving other variants as it does help appreciate the brand and vehicle size, etc. I have previously driven a Niro PHEV, so that helps my understanding of what the e-Niro should be like. I’ve also watched every video, vlogger, and consumed all other media stuff to help with a decision over the last couple of years.
Like all cars (I am a decades old company car driver, used to do 35K yearly, diesel of course) there are always some compromises in whatever choice you go with, it’s just minimising those things in the end.

I noticed that one dealership in Bletchley MK actually does both Hyundai and Kia brands and wished I had noticed this earlier as I would have swung by it to show my wife at the weekend so she could visually compare the Kona and Niro variants almost side by side. Bletchley Kia | Kia Car Dealer Buckinghamshire | Kia UK

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PR comment says it will be on sale in April 2019, not entirely the same as when you will be able to order. But appreciate it is still months away, but Kona EV is even more at present.
I have spoken with my contacts via driving and they are saying demo models in UK in Feb/Mar2019 which makes sense if full for sale is targeted as being Apr2019.

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And a copy of the email I recd. to preorder which may be useful to some on here...
Dealerships at Enfield, Harpenden and Oxford

AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER

Be one of the very first to join the electric revolution at Brayley Kia and pre-order your new Kia e-Niro!

With a 301-mile range you can say goodbye to range-anxiety and hello to clean driving with all the space, versatility and quality you've come to expect from the Kia Niro, along with the added eco-credentials of an electric car.

The e-Niro will be available from early 2019, so don't delay, pre-order yours at Brayley Kia today!
Mark Corr
Brayley Kia

Say goodbye to range-anxiety
The all-electric e-Niro is unique as an all-electric, compact crossover. Coupled with its incredible 301-mile range it's an affordable and practical, and comes with all the benefits of electric power.

All-new Interior
It's not just about how it's powered, the new e-Niro features a newly designed interior too. With a 7-inch touchscreen to show you the closest charging stations, a host of advanced drivers-assistance systems and a cargo space of 451 litres, it's both practical and technologically advanced.

BRAYLEY KIA
Enfield: 020 8419 1500
Harpenden: 01582 464100
Oxford: 01865 748000
www.brayleys.co.uk/kia
https://t.e2ma.net/click/5lc84/d0cci4/9otulp
FOLLOW US

© Brayleys 2018.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
Now that is the bit I think is just their sales spin.

Any Kia dealer can take your money but they can't order, or pre ordered, a car that isn't available to order yet. We saw it with the Kona. There were some who posted on the forum that they had already ordered a Kona before it was released. It turned out this was bull when Hyundai put the car on click to buy. They had their deposits refunded and they had to order online like everyone else.

I've emailed the dealer I've been speaking to and he is happy to take my money but he says it isn't going to put me any further forward in the queue. They are expecting to be allocated a certain number of cars to sell but they have no idea how many they will get.

I guess your dealer is pre selling their allocation and you are securing a number in the queue. Let's hope they get allocated at least 12 cars.

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure why there was is such antagonism towards preorder information.
This is quite normal in any industry and especially automotive.
Let me think, oh yes, Tesla, Ferrari, Bugatti, Ford etc.

Don’t know why I even bothered providing the information along with our decision route to our first EV.

Really surprised to read that people had placed deposits with Hyundai dealerships when it was so very well publicised that initial orders would only be taken via their clicktobuy site. I had a car configured ready to buy as soon as it went live, but decided to wait for the e-Niro. If Kia had the same clicktobuy setup, I would be doing that, but since they don’t then getting onto a first in queue makes sense. Remember this is all down to people and their individual relationships at Kia HQ and some will be undoubtedly be better than others. The dealer I have been speaking to already knows they have been allocated 20 vehicles in the first boatload and that’s what I expect will be the case. If that doesn’t happen and I miss the first batch and then it goes the way of the Kona to 9months wait then I’ll scrap getting an EV and plod along with the old diesel until normality returns and no doubt many other purchase options will then be available.

I am of the view that EV with lithium-ion is going to change to something else quickly (there might even be some dieselgate event about rare materials, recycling etc.) solid state batteries may happen, along with other storage using silicon, carbon fibre, etc. In 3 to 5 years we might be on a road to hydrogen fuel cell based vehicles. This is all very fickle to say the least. Which is why for the first time I am not planning on buying a car. As autonomous vehicles become mainstream, car ownership will plummet and hailing a ride is all anyone will do. All change for sure!

Reactions: Tim Ostler

·
Registered
132 Posts

Don’t know why I even bothered providing the information along with our decision route to our first EV.

Really surprised to read that people had placed deposits with Hyundai dealerships when it was so very well publicised that initial orders would only be taken via their clicktobuy site. I had a car configured ready to buy as soon as it went live, but decided to wait for the e-Niro. If Kia had the same clicktobuy setup, I would be doing that, but since they don’t then getting onto a first in queue makes sense. Remember this is all down to people and their individual relationships at Kia HQ and some will be undoubtedly be better than others. The dealer I have been speaking to already knows they have been allocated 20 vehicles in the first boatload and that’s what I expect will be the case. If that doesn’t happen and I miss the first batch and then it goes the way of the Kona to 9months wait then I’ll scrap getting an EV and plod along with the old diesel until normality returns and no doubt many other purchase options will then be available.

I am of the view that EV with lithium-ion is going to change to something else quickly (there might even be some dieselgate event about rare materials, recycling etc.) solid state batteries may happen, along with other storage using silicon, carbon fibre, etc. In 3 to 5 years we might be on a road to hydrogen fuel cell based vehicles. This is all very fickle to say the least. Which is why for the first time I am not planning on buying a car. As autonomous vehicles become mainstream, car ownership will plummet and hailing a ride is all anyone will do. All change for sure!
Ok

Well I for one am grateful for your input. I intend to visit my local dealer in the south east this week and see if they have any allocation and are taking deposits. I think a personal approach might be worthwhile here. No point phoning as they will only quote the official line.

If all else fails I’ll buy an Outlander PHEV and leave the forum for three years!

·
Registered
505 Posts
There is every chance though that you may not be in that first batch of 100 cars like Norway which come through soon regardless of pre-orders as this is not official by Kia UK. It all depends when your dealer puts the order in.

I don't think anyone is antagonising. The official response is that it is not available to order yet and as shown by other countries for the e-Niro their pre-orders are done on the official Kia country page .

My dealer; GWR, the biggest in Europe have had no information from Kia and do not allow pre-orders

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
I'm not upset nor trying to be antagonistic.
The information you've been given is different to the information I've been given by two different dealerships locally and I don't want people thinking they can pre ordered a car if they can't or that only certain dealerships can take orders now.
I've been told that placing a deposit now will not make any difference to when I can get a Niro so there is no point in parting with my money yet.

Like most people I don't trust car salesman and don't believe anything they say unless it is proven by other means, but if one is advising me that there is no advantage to putting money forward now I'm slightly more likely to believe him. I could be wrong and he is totally misinformed but they do have interest in the e-Niro and are asking Kia UK for information, or so they tell me!

Maybe I'm totally wrong and they are trying to play me in being cool and laid back. If so I'll be happy to see you get your car nice and early while I end up have to squeeze stuff into the Kona.

1 - 20 of 638 Posts