Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm waiting for my Model S to be delivered, I'm looking at the optional Pre-paid service plan and thinking, "£1800 sounds like a lot". One of the advantages of this car is meant to be that it's super reliable because the moving part count is so low, and there's no oil or filters to change... so what does £1800 of servicing actually entail?

But from a practical point of view, what other options are there for getting your Tesla Model S serviced? Any experience and/or tips will be most welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've been having similar debates as my model s is on order. On the one hand they say it's easier to maintain as there are no regular oily bits that need servicing/changing on the other they offer this expensive service plan. Assuming we keep an eye on tyres (visually) and brakes (via the sensors), is there anything that needs to be done every year? I'm wondering if it's more of a safety inspection they do.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I did ask many months ago when I test drove a Model S why the service cost was so expensive. Out of the feeble excuses that was uttered, the priceless comment was that "they pay their service engineers more"! :ROFLMAO::unsure:

I think they could have spent a little more time coming up with better excuses.

Having said that though, some of the user experiences have been very positive.

Personally, when I take delivery I plan to have a service every other year. Apparently, Tesla claim that this will not affect the warranty.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
A service costs £550 (or at least it did for me in April). The service plan is a block purchase of 4 for £1800 i.e. a saving of £400, so if you plan to have the car serviced 4 times then it's a no brainer to get this.

If you have financed your car in any way (lease, HP, etc) then it's extremely likely that the hire paperwork will require you to have the car maintained to the manufacturer's recommended schedule, in which case you have to have it serviced.

But if you bought the car outright then you don't need to get it serviced if you don't want to. If you take your car in for any other work, or leave it with them when you fly out of Gatwick or Heathrow, it will get inspected and any issues will get remedied anyway. It still gets software updates, you still get the roadside assistance etc etc.

Personally I think I will have my next one serviced at 15k miles and at 49k miles just before the warranty expires. But I certainly won't be doing it any more than that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How about the effect it has on the potential second-hand buyer. "Ooh, lovely car, never really had something this high-tech before, when was it last serviced?". "Not been serviced as you don't really need it". Walks away shaking head.

As I've said before, plenty of people will never use the airport service or take their car in for anything else, for peace of mind, I would recommend servicing. Their labour rates are £175 an hour btw, that's 2.5 hours giving your car a thorough going-over.

My past service repair orders, from when the car has had remedial work, noted that the car had been checked over and that it was a "courtesy inspection". With the service centres under pressure and more cars on the road, I suspect that such inspections may become, at best, cursory.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
How about the effect it has on the potential second-hand buyer. "Ooh, lovely car, never really had something this high-tech before, when was it last serviced?". "Not been serviced as you don't really need it". Walks away shaking head.
If the buyer isn't open to the idea that a car might not have mandatory annual servicing, they probably aren't open to the idea that a car might have no gearbox, engine or fuel tank.

The person you describe was never going to buy the car, irrespective of its service record.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Where did you hear that? The more I've thought about it, I've been thinking about taking this option when I take delivery in March. But not if the price goes up by any significance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Then for first time buyers, from experienced owners opinion:
Is getting the Pre-paid service a worthy option?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
@CubDriver, I asked how long I had to opt for the service plan and was told its now 6 months but don't leave it too long coz the price is going up; £400 I think, but brain was overloaded that day

·
Registered
254 Posts
On the Tesla Motors forum, people seem to be suggesting that two years is a good interval, mainly because the important items - changing the brake fluid, cabin filter and receiver/dryer are done then (the other items in the schedule are fairly trivial). But since that doesn't fit the requirement for an MOT test in the UK at 3 years.....

·
Registered
612 Posts
As far as I'm aware, if you get the four-services package for £1800, you HAVE to have them at 12,500 mile intervals (or thereabouts), whereas I would want them annually or at 18-20k intervals. I'm happy to be corrected on this, but the short intervals would make the package uneconomic for me.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
As far as I'm aware, if you get the four-services package for £1800, you HAVE to have them at 12,500 mile intervals (or thereabouts), whereas I would want them annually or at 18-20k intervals. I'm happy to be corrected on this, but the short intervals would make the package uneconomic for me.
No you can have them whenever you like.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts