Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a new Niro and after a discussion with my local dealer, I have been left non the wiser on an whether the car has a specific feature.
I currently have an i3 which will allow me to heat/cool the cabin by setting a timer in the car, using the phone app to set a timer or using the app to heat/cool the cabin immediately. For any of these options, the car does not need to be plugged in.
The salesman seemed to be very vague on whether the Niro could do this or not, and unfortunately they don't have the car with them to check.
Please could somebody tell me if the Niro is capable of these functions.
Cheers

·
Registered
493 Posts
I am looking at getting a new Niro and after a discussion with my local dealer, I have been left non the wiser on an whether the car has a specific feature.
I currently have an i3 which will allow me to heat/cool the cabin by setting a timer in the car, using the phone app to set a timer or using the app to heat/cool the cabin immediately. For any of these options, the car does not need to be plugged in.
The salesman seemed to be very vague on whether the Niro could do this or not, and unfortunately they don't have the car with them to check.
Please could somebody tell me if the Niro is capable of these functions.
Cheers
Yes, it does. When plugged in you can set a timer in the car to start the air conditioning. The current model also has app support.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it does. When plugged in you can set a timer in the car to start the air conditioning. The current model also has app support.
Can you set a timer or use the app to condition the cabin when the car is not plugged in.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Can you set a timer or use the app to condition the cabin when the car is not plugged in.
Not with the 2019 First Edition. No doubt someone who owns a 2020 '4' will soon answer for that model.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I know it’s very much down to personal choice and circumstances but for what it’s worth, I came from the i3 to the 2019 Niro, losing app support and unplugged preconditioning in the process.

I’ve not missed either. Partly because I tend to plug in every night anyway (you can limit SoC on the Niro unlike the i3) and partly because the app was always so darn flaky I got fed up of trying to use it.

The Niro’s HVAC is pretty good too.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it’s very much down to personal choice and circumstances but for what it’s worth, I came from the i3 to the 2019 Niro, losing app support and unplugged preconditioning in the process.

I’ve not missed either. Partly because I tend to plug in every night anyway (you can limit SoC on the Niro unlike the i3) and partly because the app was always so darn flaky I got fed up of trying to use it.

The Niro’s HVAC is pretty good too.
This is a feature that I use regularly on my i3 and it has become a must have for me now.

It does seem a bit odd that the Niro might not be able to condition the cabin if it isn't plugged in, especially as a Hyundai dealer said that the Kona has the functionality.

I completely agree about the BMW app, it is absolute rubbish.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
This is a feature that I use regularly on my i3 and it has become a must have for me now.
I used to use it every day too but only because I set it on a schedule and forgot about it. If you can’t plug in then I can see the rub but if you’ve got off street parking, just plug in, set the SoC limiter if you don’t want it to charge and away you go. I only found it useful for defrosting on really cold mornings.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got the e-niro 4 and I can confirm that you can start heating or AC from the UVO app WITHOUT the car being plugged in. However, I've found stopping it from the app very hit and miss. :cautious:
Thank you, I have got in the habit of usually turning it on about 5 minutes before I use the car, so stopping it should not be a problem :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a e-Niro 4 and yes you can set the car to cool/heat from the car itself or the UVO app. Remember that the car needs to connect online to speak to it remotely from the app which is why it didn't cool for me when parked in an underground car park at the weekend!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went back to the dealer today armed with this information, and after a couple of hours he came back to me confirming that it could be done
Thanks for everyone's help

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
290 Posts
It’s quite ridiculous that the sales guy didn’t know about this pretty major functionality. I’m sure that if it was my job to sell this product I would familiarise myself with it very thoroughly before facing a customer. I have no faith in any car stealerships or their sales people unfortunately.

Peter

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
It’s quite ridiculous that the sales guy didn’t know about this pretty major functionality. I’m sure that if it was my job to sell this product I would familiarise myself with it very thoroughly before facing a customer. I have no faith in any car stealerships or their sales people unfortunately.

Peter
They're not really there to help sell cars, just sort out finance agreements.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They're not really there to help sell cars, just sort out finance agreements.
If it wasn't for members on this website, they would have definitely have lost a sale, and the commission on the finance deal.
Maybe you should all ask for a cut of the salesman's salary for doing the work for him :D

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Peter
I suppose if they personally were that diligent and caring about the standards by which they fulfilled the requirements of their job, they would be doing something more productive than selling cars in the first place.

I don't know many people who came out of school / college wanting to be a salesperson. I do know loads of people who came out with more than a passing interest in cars and probably saw car sales as a way of living their dream of sitting in something they could never actually afford 😆

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have Hyundai Bluelink app which looks exactly the same as the Uvo app format.
Precondition will probably turn off after 10 mins if the same as Hyundai setup. I also found that if you open the driver's door it would also turn off, but if you opened the back door first it didn't. Would like to see a timer in the app so you can set the time for longer than 10 mins.
Either that or be able to use utility mode and lock the doors from outside. Had to put dogs in the car because they were being a nuisance whilst we had workmen in the house. Put dogs in the car with Aircon in utility mode bit had to leave the car unlocked.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find the precondition from UVO fails on the 1st attempt every time, trying again immediately after the fail usually does work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts