Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Performance 2019
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polar have just installed some 150kW chargers near my home. The nearest Tesla ones are a long way away and significantly more expensive.

Is there a way to initiate the preconditioning for supercharging in preparation for a visit to a non-Tesla charger?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hmm..set your destination to the nearest Tesla Supercharger to force it to precondition, but actually drive to the Polar charger? May work if the 2 chargers are not too far apart (don't know how close it actually starts the preconditioning).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, very helpful.

@BruceyB very creative, but they are 30 miles away.

I wonder does pre-heating the car also do something to the battery?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Polar have just installed some 150kW chargers near my home. The nearest Tesla ones are a long way away and significantly more expensive.

Is there a way to initiate the preconditioning for supercharging in preparation for a visit to a non-Tesla charger?
I thought you could do it by putting on climate for an hour. Might be worth experimenting?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Driving like a nutter, pre-conditioning for an hour.... seems like an awful waste of energy just to get a faster charge rate. Is there something about preconditioning that I don’t understand?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Presume the performance owners can force this by putting the car in track mode? That kicks in the afterburners to heat the battery doesn't it?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm not 100% on how much difference pre conditioning would make on a 150kw charge. My SR+ will hit 100kw with a fairly cold battery, so I'd assume a LR/P would still be able to hit 150 without needing 5 minutes of warming.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm not 100% on how much difference pre conditioning would make on a 150kw charge. My SR+ will hit 100kw with a fairly cold battery, so I'd assume a LR/P would still be able to hit 150 without needing 5 minutes of warming.
I agree, I have not seen Polar deliver anything like their rated charge. So I am not sure how much preconditioning would help. My wife’s 3 was only charging at 20kWh on a 40kWh charger. I am sure it was not the car holding back.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I charged my M3P on a 50kW CCS charger last week from 10 to 90% and the battery management going on was quite surprising.
Start charge at 10% SOC, battery at 6degrees, 38kW to battery, plus 7kW shared between front and rear stators to warm the pack.
50% SOC, 41KW to pack, pack temp 45 degC, still 7kW to battery heating.
The battery heating stayed at 7kW until pack temp reached 50 degC when it shut off and then power to the pack went up to 48 kW at approx 60%SOC.
Rate of charge stayed at approx 48kW until 90% with pack temp of 53degC.
Previously charging on Superchargers at up to 130kW I've witnessed the pack heating at 7kW until 50degC at about 50% SOC, then actively cooling when the pack hits 55degC.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I charged my M3P on a 50kW CCS charger last week from 10 to 90% and the battery management going on was quite surprising.
Start charge 10% battery at 6degrees, 38kW to battery plus 7kW shared between front and rear stators to warm the pack.
50% SOC, 41KW to pack, pack temp 45 degC, 7kW to battery heating.
The battery heating stayed at 7kW until pack temp reached 50 degC when it shut off with 48 kW to pack and approx 60%SOC.
Rate of charge stayed at approx 48kW until 90% with pack temp of 53degC.
Previously charging on Superchargers at up to 130kW I've witnessed the pack heating at 7kW until 50degC at about 50% SOC, then actively cooling when the pack hits 55degC.
How do get the battery temps etc?

·
Registered
556 Posts
How do get the battery temps etc?
I use Scan my Tesla with a can dongle.
I also use Core Tesla which is a free app which doesn't need a dongle. Unlike Scan my Tesla, Core Tesla doesn't give pack temperature but it does tell you when the pack is being heated and also the actual kW going to the charger so you can work out kW going to battery heating and hvac. It also let's you know the status of most other things the car is doing like wiper blade heating.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Polar have just installed some 150kW chargers near my home
Why is near your home useful? Do you not have a home charging point?

Even on Polar Plus the costs are far higher than home electric, especially if you elect for a cheap overnight rate like Octopus Go...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Why is near your home useful? Do you not have a home charging point?
Speed.

Yes, I have a home charger with an EV tariff, but I sometimes arrive home in the evening with < 20% and need to use the car later or park it somewhere else overnight. The home charger is too slow then.

Actually, Polar Plus isn’t that expensive when the charges are included like they are on two local sites. I would only have to do two 50kWh charges a month to warrant the subscription. Not unusual for me. I did 145kWh on them last month and that would have cost £11.60 at home overnight.

There is a 50kW Polar charger nearby that is free to Polar Plus users, but that takes just over an hour to put a decent amount of charge back. I find the hanging around for that irksome. Pints in the hotel are pricey too.;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
There is a 50kW Polar charger nearby that is free to Polar Plus users, but that takes just over an hour to put a decent amount of charge back. I find the hanging around for that irksome. Pints in the hotel are pricey too.;)
Sit in the car and watch Netflix :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Speed.

Yes, I have a home charger with an EV tariff, but I sometimes arrive home in the evening with < 20% and need to use the car later or park it somewhere else overnight. The home charger is too slow then.

Actually, Polar Plus isn’t that expensive when the charges are included like they are on two local sites. I would only have to do two 50kWh charges a month to warrant the subscription. Not unusual for me. I did 145kWh on them last month and that would have cost £11.60 at home overnight.

Rapid charging is not included in the Polar Plus subscription. They cost 15p per KwH on top of your £8 monthly subscription. Or 25p per KwH if you don't have a subscription.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts