Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes use of preconditioning and have you noticed any improvement in range?

Also from what I can see when you park car, the settings of temperature and whether air con is on or not cannot be adjusted remotely if you wanted to turn on air con for example?

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
I think if the temperature difference warrants AC the AC will switch on regardless of settings. In the original manual, it did hint that preconditioning temperature was independent of the cabin temperature set.

I think it was 18 degrees in hot weather and 23 degrees in the cold - but in practice I don't think that works quite as simply as that and does use your last set temperature.

·
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think if the temperature difference warrants AC the AC will switch on regardless of settings. In the original manual, it did hint that preconditioning temperature was independent of the cabin temperature set.

I think it was 18 degrees in hot weather and 23 degrees in the cold - but in practice I don't think that works quite as simply as that and does use your last set temperature.
Interesting that thanks, I shall have to see if I can find out in practice, what about the heated seats in winter is it going to turn them on as well?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now that the weather's cooling down again and now that I've had the s/w upgrade[1], I'm using it.

As with all things EV-range related[2], there are too many variables to know conclusively that range is improved but I suspect it is. If only because I can get in to a toasty hot, fully defrosted, heat soaked cabin before I've even unplugged. Without pre-con, the first thing I'd do is blast the heater on. With pre-con, I can complete some trips with the a/c off.

[1] Earlier in the year (I got one of the first i3s so am an old-timer), with the old s/w, the pre-con didn't seem to actually do anything. Maybe the battery was warmed up but I didn't notice the cabin getting heated. Maybe I was doing something wrong with the settings!

[2] BMW's predictor is so over clever that trying to untangle the various factors is impossible. For all I can tell, it looks at external temp, weather forecast, altitude at start, local hilliness, and phase of the moon.

·
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well what I've found so far that even after setting departure time it seems to carry on until you start car, I thought it would turn off before that, this is the only grey area I am puzzled about. :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts