Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite driving like my nana and turning everything down low my predicted miles when i get in each morning is now only 27. Is this other owner's experience at this time of year?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fraid so, the cold really is a killer to your batteries also gets the raised eyebrows when you tell people you lose half range when it's cold!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
GMG31 said:
Despite driving like my nana and turning everything down low my predicted miles when i get in each morning is now only 27. Is this other owner's experience at this time of year?
Just to be clear... are you talking about in an Ampera/Volt?

If so then yes, it can vary hugely depending on temperature and your driving recently. It is not unusual for me to be in the low 30s first thing. Not sure I have been as low as 27 but I could easily imagine that might happen for some.

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
I am still getting around 40 miles per charge but I do preheat before leaving in the morning. Temp this morning was around 8C. I ran on Hold for first 10 miles to get thermal heating as total journey was 60 miles. Lifetime dropping slightly due to some longer journeys, now 178mpg. No thermal heating on BMW i3 ;-)

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you have the option proddick's suggestion makes things better during cold weather, especially if you are using the Level 2 charger better then the Level 1 charger which can't keep up and ends up being supplemented by the battery.

It's what I do here in Colorado this time of the year.

Ross

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Yep, there is a big step down in range at 8C.

We've measured the heater pulling 2.5kW, so if the charger is not supplying that you can lose range (even the 10A setting isn't quite enough).

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well I have tried pre-conditioning several times now and notice no difference at all in the range achieved so I don't bother with that now. Perhaps I shall try again when the colder weather arrives :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
My range has dropped to the very low 30s but then it has been down to below freezing the last few days and I use the preheat before I leave, twice on one occasion because it was too nippy. This morning was only a single heat session and the windscreen and front windows were only half cleared.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just wondering what actually happens to the battery and when the charge is “lost“:-

a) say you fully charge during the day, do you “lose“ that charge forever over a cold night? Or is it still there if you don't drive until it's warmed up the next day?
b) if you charge to full on a cold night but the weather warms up the next day, do you have less than a full charge then?
c) does the Ampera/Volt heat the batteries during charging if it's a cold night, or only when pre-heating/starting/driving?

I appreciate we don't often get days above say 8C and cold nights, I just like to understand what goes on!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never park overnight without plugging into my charger even if I have only done a few miles that day because it keeps the battery in good condition.
I always use pre heat on a morning I think it is really good and definatly saves battery life. but this week has been so cold i have had to use it twice before setting off.

my only dissapointment with my Ampera so far is that during the day getting in when it has not been possible to pre heat the car is so cold and really doesn't warm up at all before I get to my destination. I have tried running it on hold to try and get some heat inside the car but so far I am not enjoying winter and it hasn't started yet!!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
I noticed yesterday that the engine came on 'Due to low temperature, I was wondering if it came on to assist in heating the cabin, not had a chance to check the manual yet. I had driven in colder conditions but had not noticed it before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't leave mine overnight not plugged in even if the battery is fully charged. Plugging it in maintains the battery and allows pre heat the next day. I love pre heat, it definatly saves battery life and getting into a warm de frosted car on a morning is great.

However if I had one gripe about my Ampera is how hard it is to keep warm during the day it takes far too long to warm up by which time I have usually arrived at my destination. I think the Ampera should come with a fleece jacket as standard.

This week has been so cold I have tried running the car on hold during the day to try to get some heat into the cabin but even that isn't good enough

·
Registered
178 Posts
GMG31 said:
I wouldn't leave mine overnight not plugged in even if the battery is fully charged. Plugging it in maintains the battery and allows pre heat the next day. I love pre heat, it definatly saves battery life and getting into a warm de frosted car on a morning is great.

However if I had one gripe about my Ampera is how hard it is to keep warm during the day it takes far too long to warm up by which time I have usually arrived at my destination. I think the Ampera should come with a fleece jacket as standard.

This week has been so cold I have tried running the car on hold during the day to try to get some heat into the cabin but even that isn't good enough
You can still pre heat when you are not plugged in. At 2C it tends to use 0.7kw for one ten minute Pre Heat so you loose a bit of range. I must say its nice getting into a defrosted warm car with the heated seats already hot in the morning. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts