Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only owned my Ampera for a week, When I have fully charged it is the predicated mileage on the dash based on the previous owners driving style? Even after a full charge it only says 36 miles and I was expecting it to say a higher number. The lifetime average mpg was 70 but even after a week I have dragged that up to over 100.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The predicted range adjusts to your driving style over the past day or so, so the previous driver's style should not influence it now. Is the predicted range close to the actual range you acheive?

You can find lots of driving tips on this site to maximise your range. I rarely get a prediction of 50 miles but I do sometimes acheive that, currently I get predicted and acheive about 44.

Main influences are...

Sport mode - eats up range
Heating/Cooling
Wipers
Inclined routes
Speeds above 60mph
Stop-Start - the acceleration reduced range

So, to maximise range; switch everything off and drive a flat route at a constant speed (40-55).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also found, early on that running the tyre pressures at the "higher" end of the limits made a good 2 - 3 mile range improvement.

As Andy says if your driving style achieves better than the initially predicted has, it will soon "adjust" it's forecast and that encourages you even more to beat that!!

Enjoy your motoring.

Big Paul

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,612 Posts
Today I did a regular a 54 mile round trip with no opportunity to charge midway. I arrived at my destination with 7 miles range left on electric but by the time I had arrived back home, the battery was empty and fuel (petrol) range had only reduced by 7 miles. Range also seems to get eaten up quickly first thing but then settles down and seems to travel further than a mile before it drops a mile if you know what I mean, maybe just the cabin heater when setting off.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
h8ten said:
Today I did a regular a 54 mile round trip with no opportunity to charge midway. I arrived at my destination with 7 miles range left on electric but by the time I had arrived back home, the battery was empty and fuel (petrol) range had only reduced by 7 miles. Range also seems to get eaten up quickly first thing but then settles down and seems to travel further than a mile before it drops a mile if you know what I mean, maybe just the cabin heater when setting off.
I've also noticed that actual petrol range seems to be better than the estimate.

I think part of it may be that if you normally make short trips that corresponds to poor fuel consumption, but the only time you actually use petrol is by definition a longer trip. So the estimate you get before the engine starts is based on a different driving style.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts