Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken much notice of how early the preheat function starts up before the departure time? I'm guessing it will depend somewhat on the actual temperature you have set and the ambient?

Just got up and my departure time is set for 5.35-5.40 I think and going downstairs for my coffee (at 5.10) and it looks as though it's already started defrosting.

Also how long after your scheduled departure time will it stay on for, assuming you forget to turn it off previously and don't actually go to the car?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can check and adjust the timings with VCDS under charger-modules adaptations.
I'm new here, so I take it VCDS is the VW diagnostics equipment? I'm not overly keen on fiddling with things too much in diagnostics, I've known people who've essentially bricked thier cars attempting to make a setting change without knowing exactly what they're doing n

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,834 Posts
Has anyone taken much notice of how early the preheat function starts up before the departure time? I'm guessing it will depend somewhat on the actual temperature you have set and the ambient?

Just got up and my departure time is set for 5.35-5.40 I think and going downstairs for my coffee (at 5.10) and it looks as though it's already started defrosting.

Also how long after your scheduled departure time will it stay on for, assuming you forget to turn it off previously and don't actually go to the car?
I find it easier to start the preheating using the app as my departure times vary. I allow 15-20mins if its frosty.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I've currently only got a granny charger for my GTE and the pre-heat (if enabled) always turns on 30 minutes before. It doesn't have enough power to get to the desired set point if it's very cold. No matter, it still defrosts and warms the car.

The algorithm seems to be based on a look up table, probably taking the internal and external temperature difference into account. One of the other clever things about this process is that it won't ever draw current from the battery. On the Leaf, at least the first generation, pre-heating on AC would drain the battery in some cases if using a 3.3kW AC charger, as the charger could not top the battery up sufficiently. The GTE/e-Golf avoids this by limiting pre-heating power to the capacity of the mains.

I've started using the app more because my schedule as a result of the shift to working from home more often is very flexible - so just tapping the app 20-30 minutes before I leave gets me a warm, de-iced car!

If anyone hasn't realised yet, you can activate the pre-heat and window heat functions simultaneously, which makes the car direct the heat more towards the windshield, and turns the rear demist grid on. One annoying limitation is it doesn't pre-heat the mirrors!

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,834 Posts
I've currently only got a granny charger for my GTE and the pre-heat (if enabled) always turns on 30 minutes before. It doesn't have enough power to get to the desired set point if it's very cold. No matter, it still defrosts and warms the car.

The algorithm seems to be based on a look up table, probably taking the internal and external temperature difference into account. One of the other clever things about this process is that it won't ever draw current from the battery. On the Leaf, at least the first generation, pre-heating on AC would drain the battery in some cases if using a 3.3kW AC charger, as the charger could not top the battery up sufficiently. The GTE/e-Golf avoids this by limiting pre-heating power to the capacity of the mains.

I've started using the app more because my schedule as a result of the shift to working from home more often is very flexible - so just tapping the app 20-30 minutes before I leave gets me a warm, de-iced car!

If anyone hasn't realised yet, you can activate the pre-heat and window heat functions simultaneously, which makes the car direct the heat more towards the windshield, and turns the rear demist grid on. One annoying limitation is it doesn't pre-heat the mirrors!
Pity you can't also pre heat the seats and the steering wheel isn't heated!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

Just checked my last startup when outside temperature was 0 degC and required temperature was 22 degC.

Car started warming up 30 minutes before scheduled time, and stopped 5 minutes after scheduled time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did wonder about the app but after registering most of the details it now wants me to pay for it. Sod that considering most seem to say the app is rubbish.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,834 Posts
I did wonder about the app but after registering most of the details it now wants me to pay for it. Sod that considering most seem to say the app is rubbish.
The app works and most say the £55pa or £85 for 2years is worth it. It's certainly no worse than Nissan's app and better than many. But if you depart at the same time every day, the car's timer would be ok.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The app works and most say the £55pa or £85 for 2years is worth it. It's certainly no worse than Nissan's app and better than many. But if you depart at the same time every day, the car's timer would be ok.
That's pretty much my thoughts, I do mostly go at similar times everyday and it's not just the cost of the app, as you do need to pay for a dongle of some sort for the internet connection.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,834 Posts
That's pretty much my thoughts, I do mostly go at similar times everyday and it's not just the cost of the app, as you do need to pay for a dongle of some sort for the internet connection.
No dongle is needed but it depends on which infotainment version you have. What year is yours?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It asks for either Wlan or carstick to connect to carnet. It's a 2018my.

Unless that was just simply for the registration setup and after that the built in system is enabled.

I figured it must have some form of connection somewhere as the green light is lit next to the sos button.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,834 Posts
You use the Weconnect app once you have signed up online at VW.

Mine's a 2017 model and works fine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You use the Weconnect app once you have signed up online at VW.

Mine's a 2017 model and works fine.

Yeah I saw that app, but how does the car itself connect to the server, as when I registered I had to create a hotspot on my phone to allow it to connect to the VW servers, that's why I asked if I needed a VW carstick LTE dongle.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,834 Posts
Yeah I saw that app, but how does the car itself connect to the server, as when I registered I had to create a hotspot on my phone to allow it to connect to the VW servers, that's why I asked if I needed a VW carstick LTE dongle.
The car has a sim and uses 3/4g. You should have emergency help and info buttons on the roof panel if it does.

The infotainment supplement does waffle on about wlan etc, just ignore it and follow the steps on the website.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is the system different on the golf to the Passat? My Passat can definitely preheat on battery. In fact I have had to set the end of the charge time to be after my preheat in morning so it actually takes power from the mains.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,834 Posts
Is the system different on the golf to the Passat? My Passat can definitely preheat on battery. In fact I have had to set the end of the charge time to be after my preheat in morning so it actually takes power from the mains.
My Golf can also preheat from the battery - just used it to warm the car for a trip to the takeaway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The car has a sim and uses 3/4g. You should have emergency help and info buttons on the roof panel if it does.

The infotainment supplement does waffle on about wlan etc, just ignore it and follow the steps on the website.
We Connect uses Telematics module behind your instrument cluster. That telematics module has built in eSIM. Not related to the sim on the infotainment unit or mobile hotspot. Pre-FL models with telematics and We Connect does not have always the SOS button.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Yes it can though pre-heating is limited to a maximum of 10 minutes compared to 30 minutes on a mains supply.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts