Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched this video which shows the previous model Zoe's keycard with 'charger flap unlock' and 'preheat' buttons, both of which look very useful. These have gone from the new Zoe's keycard- is it still possible to do these 2 things using the keycard? The manual is driving me nuts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
ZOE 50 Intens + CCS, Flamme Red
36 Posts
No.
Preheat/AC should be activated via app, but it doesn't work so far.
You can open charger flap only with switch in the car. But you can stop charging and unlock plug with "unlock" button on key-card. Charging will be activated again if you do not unplug cable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks albrehti glad it wasn't just me being dim. That's really weird that Renault dropped these 2 useful features from the keycard.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,168 Posts
I believe they now use the same keycard as certain ICE Renault & Dacia models, which don't use charger flap or preheat.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
678 Posts
They do indeed and that is likely the reason, a standardised key card across the range.
It's called "planning for the future". We're making the move to EVs, so let's standardise on what is required for ICE vehicles. Why not standardise with a couple of extra buttons, that could even be unmarked for now, to have things in place for where things are heading? Losing useful functionality that people are used to is not a good marketing tool to encourage people to upgrade to the next model. It's making me think twice, with lack of preconditioning from the app etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's called "planning for the future". We're making the move to EVs, so let's standardise on what is required for ICE vehicles. Why not standardise with a couple of extra buttons, that could even be unmarked for now, to have things in place for where things are heading? Losing useful functionality that people are used to is not a good marketing tool to encourage people to upgrade to the next model. It's making me think twice, with lack of preconditioning from the app etc.
The current keycard came before the current ZOE, why change everything else to suit what still is and is going to be for some time, a niche product.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
678 Posts
The current keycard came before the current ZOE, why change everything else to suit what still is and is going to be for some time, a niche product.
Why not? My proposal would cost nothing, except ICE drivers would have two blank buttons that did nothing. If Renault were any good at software they could do something else on an ICE, like open the charge (petrol) flap.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,263 Posts
That's really weird that Renault dropped these 2 useful features from the keycard.
Renault logic. Add useful features, then take them away.

Current key? Do you mean previous key? The Zoe dating back to 2012 uses the key as used in the Leguna from several years before, only they used a couple of buttons for different task, i.e. no boot release unlock etc, flap unlock instead.

As Renault are all going EV/Hybrid it made perfect sense to keep the preheat button and the flap open button. That's the whole reason Renault removed them, they are nonsensical when it comes to practical design. As has been highlighted they'll add features to the app, charge for it after the first 12 months gratis, but it'll never work and no one will pay and it will be yet another failed experiment in Renault IT department.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@Sandy
Current keycard came before new ZOE 50.
All features should be via MyRenault app. But ...
:cry:

·
Zoe Devotee
9,263 Posts
@Sandy
Current keycard came before new ZOE 50.
All features should be via MyRenault app. But ...
:cry:
Before the new ZE50 but not before the ZOE, so if Renault had any foresight they would have designed the key better. ;)

I'm all for App options, but they need to work and be high availability, 2 things Renault have never master in my experience of their online services. In fact over the years they've got consistently worse on both points.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The new ZOE 50 is my first EV. As for the car itself, I am very pleased. However, I am very disappointed with the software of the car itself, as well as the accompanying MyRenault application. Maybe also because I followed Tesla's forums too much ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is worth us all firing off a few tweets to Renault to let them know we're not happy? @GroupeRenaultEV @renault_uk ... you never know

1 - 17 of 17 Posts