Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So, got a call from the dealership today. Car was supposed to be done today. They received the ECU, but apparently they're having a hard time flashing it.
They said they've tried everything they could come up with, and no one else at the dealership has any more ideas as to why it's not working. They have been in contact with Audi Switzerland throughout this whole process as well. Since Audi Switzerland has no further ideas either, they have now contacted Audi Germany. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update:

Picked up the car yesterday. They managed to flash the new ECU. Apparently something on the Audi servers was configured wrong and that prevented them from flashing it.
So far so good. AC has been working so far. Set a timer yesterday evening and got up today and the AC was on. It was not really warm in the car, but this is probably due to me charging with 10A at home. The battery charging also didn't interrupt. However it stopped doing that 1 week before i brought the car in, so they couldn't test it.

The only thing that is still somewhat weird:

When the ignition is on and i turn on the A/C through the MMI by going to car -> car-system -> A/C, the A/C starts immediately and the button-text changes to "turn off A/C". But when i click on that, the A/C still stays on. I'm wondering if this is like that for you aswell @etronfan?

Also, the software version i have on the MMI now is:
_K1455

So it looks like there's a new update in case you want to do it. I'm not sure what the difference to your version is tho.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One more thing:

When the car is sitting unplugged, and i open the APP, it says that the car is NOT ready to be charge. I can't remember how it was before. Is it like that for you aswell? Does it only say ready to charge when it's plugged in (but not charging cause of a set timer for example)?

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello @something , i saw all your answers, lets cross our fingers.
I m experiencing the same thing so that's ok :)
When you put the car on ignition and turn on the preheating, it will stay on when you turn off the car.
When you put the car on ignition and turn on the preheating then off, it will turn off as soon as you turn off the car (it will stay on until then).

Same thing for the charging on the app. Not ready if unplugged. It should say Ready if plugged and timer configured (never used it though).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi etronfan

Right now everything seems to work fine and is pretty stable. I really hope it stays like this.
I'm glad to hear that the preheating works the same as in your car. I was already a bit worried that the new ECU didn't fix the problem.
At this point i'll just have to use the car as usual and see if everything works over a longer period of time.

Thanks for all your help. It made it alot easier for me to bring the car into the dealership again and press them about the problems the car has, since i had a reference to your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!

I just bought an A3 E-tron and since I live in Finland, this preheating topic instantly caught my eye. I have a couple of questions:

A) There are 2 options for pre heating: 1) Aux air con and 2) aux air con and heating (webasto/Eberspächer)
- I quess you both have nro 1 as I seem to have? The number 2 explains the need for gasoline as it is petrol powered and much more powerfull.

B) There are 2 different timers in the car:
  • aux heating only
  • charging and aux heating (this is joined to the upper button next to the charging point in the car?)
Which one of these do you use and which one is better?

C) In the video etronfan mentioned that the heating was more efficient when the vehicle was unplugged. I have a timer in my power socket, so what about when the vehicle is plugged but not charging (no power coming from the socket)?

Cheers guys

Toni

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Kannu,

A) I m not sure to understand the difference between the two you are mentioning. This car has the Aux air con, which allows you to have cold or hot air in any case. Although i doubt it uses gasoline, the car asks for you to have more than the reserve. My guess is that they didn't completely reprogram the e-tron compared to a normal A3 with this feature (but that's only my guess). Or maybe it's a safety feature, so if the car is unplugged, you don't use all your battery and then you would be in trouble if you don't have enough gasoline too.

B) The timer for charging is good for when you have special electricity contracts where you pay less overnight than during the day. The timer for heat, is so that you car gets hot or cold before you leave.
As i can't have the infrastructure to keep my car plugged, i don't use any timers. And if you use the AUX without the car being plugged, well you lose the battery "quickly".
As i don't have a special electricity contract anyway, if i had the charging infrastructure, i would just use the preheat timer and leave the car plugged in. There is not really a better one. More of a "one answers your needs better than the other".

C) In my video, it's all about the car if it is charging or not. So if the cable is plugged, but the car is not charging, it should heat well.
Just be carefull with any extension cords, power adpaters, power timers, multiple sockets... as if they are not especially made for high current, you could start a fire overtime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A) The are 2 different options for the pre-heating. One uses only electricity and the other is a small separate petrol engine (google webasto), which uses petrol from the tank. This can be heard from outside the car as a hum and also it usually smells.

So I'm guessing you also don't have this option as it is normally selected only here in the north Europe.

Ok, now to the topic. Yesterday evening I programmed the aux heater to go on today 2 pm. Checked the box and all.

Now 30mins ago i went to the car and nothing. It was cold, AC wasn't on. Tank was full and the battery was full, no charging was going on at that time (it had ended about 1hr prior).

I just moved the car to my new parking spot and set the timer again now for tomorrow morning. The car isn´t plugged now so lets see what happens.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh ok, so yes i should have only the electric one.
Have you tried to turn on the preheating through the phone application ? or also through the MMI menu to see if everything goes well ?
Do you configure the timer through the phone app or mmi ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just ordered the data sim, which should arrive next week, so no phone connectivity yet. I'll check the MMi-version tomorrow in the car. This is my first Audi and after many BMWs the whole UI is different and a bit messed up.. xD

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think that the webasto heater is pretty rare. I don't have any source or anything for that, just my assumption. Since the normal aux AC can both, heat and cool the car, altho the heating won't be as strong as with a dedicated gasoline heater (i'm assuming, never tested it. But there would be no point if it wasn't stronger than the normal aux AC).
The Aux Heater stays on for around 20 minutes. So if you program it to go on at 2pm, it should turn on at 2pm and turn off around 2.20pm. If it doesn't turn on at all, maybe you have the same problem that i had, and one of the ECU's is defective. As etronfan mentioned, try to turn it on instantly through the MMI by navigating to car -> car-system -> aux AC. Basically the same place where you can set the timer. There should be an option to "start aux AC now" or something similar. If your battery has enough charge, and as mentioned by etronfan, you have enough fuel in the tank, it should turn on immediately, regardless whether the car is plugged in or not. Again, if this does not work, there's a chance one of your ECU's is defective just like mine. If this is the case, i hope that your car is still under warranty? I don't really know the exact price, but my dealership said the unit they replaced costs around $4000. I'm assuming they exaggerated a bit, but yeah, definitely not a cheap part.

Also, you should be able to use the App on your phone without external data-sim. The etron has an e-sim built in that is used for the communication between car -> server/phone and vice-versa.

Edit:
One more thing: If you are plugged into a normal socket with the original e-tron charger, then the charger will automatically limit the charging current to 10A. When you charge like that, the aux AC is really weak. When i get into my car in the morning it's around 0 degree celsius outside right now. I don't know the temperature of inside the car, but i can just say that it's slightly less cold (not using the word warm on purpose). At work i can charge at a public 22kW station, so i get the full charging power the car can handle. When using the aux AC there, it's quite warm in the car, despite outside temperature being around 3-5 degree celsius.
Using the aux AC while the car is unplugged will use around 10-15% of the battery charge. Atleast that's more or less how much i lost when i tried a few days ago.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts