Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Wondering what I am doing wrong here.

Last night I set the time to preheat to 8.40am and to schedule charging. Make sure that everything is ticked. Set it and the light comes up below to say that preconditionibg is active. Leave plugged in overnight to charge. Charging starts and finishes successfully.

Go out this morning at 8.30 am to see if it is working and nothing. I switch on the power to see if settings are correct. They are and then when I switch the power off the heating immediately starts. Light flashes to show it is preheating as scheduled

Just cant work out what is wrong. If you have to go out to make it start it defeats the purpose.

Any ideas?

Regards

Dbran

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
What temperature settings have you got on the temperature and what was ambient outside? When you switch off in the night, make a point of checking the main dashboard. It flashes up whether departure and off peak charging are on or off (they should both say "on"). Might help diagnosing it if it's a problem :)

Pic of the settings screen would assist to spot any glitches (y)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I remember somebody in a thread saying they had an issue when using the combination if scheduled charging and pre heating. As previously said, it might not need 10 mins to pre heat thou. Or you could try it without scheduled charging, just charging to set time and pre heating.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I'm guessing that's what it looks like tonight. Did you check that the days are set correctly in the schedule? So Thursday was set to pre-heat yesterday. As they say, there are no stupid questions (y)

And the clock is showing the correct time?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Are you also sure that the two settings on the dash were set to "ON" when you left it yesterday. Mine often don't trigger for some reason. If you didn't notice and they were off, then the departure might not have been set so no pre-heat. When you switched on and back off, you may have triggered it correctly to "ON" at which point it would have started pre-heat as you described.

Set it and the light comes up below to say that preconditioning is active
Which light are you referring to here?

I've still not figured out why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but I have the Geofence set and I'm presuming that it may be something to do with the car not figuring out where it is. Have you got location based charging switched on by any chance?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes that's what it looks like tonight and all those things were set correctly yesterday.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The centre light flashing on the dash only relates to charging - Manual says

Reserved charging in operation (turns off in 3 minutes) or temporary interruptions (e.g. power failure)
So pre-heat was not necessarily "ON"

Based on your photos above, I would expect the pre-heat to start at precisely 8.10am Friday morning (assuming the clock time in the car is accurate). This should be announced by your EVSE opening its contacts (y) You haven't got any timers on the EVSE I am presuming, car won't pre-heat without power?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Pre heat wont start at a precise time. If you set your departure time for 8.40 and set temp for 21. Car will make sure at 8.40 the inside temp is 21. So it might take 5 / 10 mins to get to that temp.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Yes but at 8c and a target of 21c, my experience is that it will usually kick in 30 mins before. I've never had it kick in earlier than 30 minutes so I assume that is the maximum allowed?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would be pretty sure that both were set to "on". The light I refer to is the little orange light with a fan to the lower right which I recall was flashing when I powered off and the fans started.

So i reckon it is either 1) I checked to soon and next time check at 8.40am or 2) it is something to do with scheduled charging finishing at 8am.

I am thinking it is more likely 2)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Either could be right, 1 should be easy to check. I have never used scheduled charge times so far, have used pre heat with a set depart time, as you have to have this set to use pre heat and have not had a issue as yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maybe the charging warmed the car up? Obviously try the departure heating without a scheduled charge. I have not had any problems, at least not with this!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
You could try extending the end time of your charging past your departure time. That's what my setting is on currently but I am not sure it is supposed to make a difference especially when my charge always ends well before departure anyway and I always hear the EVSE re-open 1/2 hour before the departure. A 13c rise from 8-21c is going to take a while based on my experience. If I can, I'll check on mine in the morning again and see what it does. The car is set on 20c so shouldn't be much different.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
No use this morning. 1) I was asleep 2) when I did wake up the car had been sat in the sun for ages so probably didn't need much heat anyway so not a good test :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts