Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this message today on the my Tesla account. I thought I had bought the LR premium edition with all bells and whistles.

Is this subscription a new ‘feature’ or have I missed something?

What will I get if I subscribe?

·
Registered
162 Posts
How long have you had your car for? The LR premium connectivity only lasts for a year, not indefinitely. After that you have to pay a monthly subscription.

If you choose not to subscribe then you will no longer be able to use any of the internet features such as Spotify, YouTube, Netflix etc. You also won't be able to see traffic data on the navigation map and you can't use satellite view. However, you can still use the normal map for navigation. Basically, everything will be cut off except navigation.

Having said that, you can still use your phone as a hot spot to connect to these services (with the exception of live traffic data) BUT only when you're stationary. Once you put it into drive, your mobile hot spot will be disconnected.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it as I don't really use any of the online features. But each to their own.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just to add, you can still use a mobile hotspot for music streaming while driving, but you have to enable the wifi once you are in drive. So putting the car into drive disables wifi, but you can then click at the top left to enable it again and it will stay enabled until you next put it into drive where it will disable again. bit of a PITA but you can get by if that's all you want.
So the only thing you really lose is the satellite maps, live traffic, and convenience.

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
86 Posts
I will be subscribing when my 1y premium subscription expires next April - I get a lot of value from satellite maps, Spotity + Netflix & Youtube (when charging). Happy to pay £9.99/mth

·
Registered
741 Posts
I will be subscribing when my 1y premium subscription expires next April - I get a lot of value from satellite maps, Spotity + Netflix & Youtube (when charging). Happy to pay £9.99/mth
Same here :) It's only £10 per month..... the Tesla has saved me about £350 pm in fuel savings already... lol :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
You can get Netflix & YouTube while charging and Spotify while driving by using your mobile as a WiFi hotspot. So that only leaves satellite maps and traffic visuals as extras that premium connectivity provides.

Reactions: Steven4

·
Registered
16 Posts
I saw a campaign going on Facebook about Premium Connectivity. It seems that anybody ordering before September last year should be entitled to the premium connectivity based on the contract wording. Time will tell if this works out..

·
Registered
741 Posts
I saw a campaign going on Facebook about Premium Connectivity. It seems that anybody ordering before September last year should be entitled to the premium connectivity based on the contract wording. Time will tell if this works out..
Do you have a link or details?
I collected mine Sept 29th 2019... so would be nice to find out. :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
Interest too, mine was ordered early August 2019 and collected 24th September. Not too concerned about the monthly fee, it would be nice to stop and start it as required as in the last year I would have only used it three times on long trips.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interested too as ordered in August, collected in November.
I think that only recently the Premium Connectivity information became displayed in the car details section

·
Registered
508 Posts
Interest too, mine was ordered early August 2019 and collected 24th September. Not too concerned about the monthly fee, it would be nice to stop and start it as required as in the last year I would have only used it three times on long trips.
Hi. I might misunderstand you but that is what I do. I add it for a month and then cancel it until I want it again. I add and cancel same day and it runs off at the end of the billing month. I like the satellite maps; children like everything else!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got my LR this week so it should come with a year's free subscription but when I try to access those services it asks me to subscribe and pay. Does the free subscription need to be activated or have I missed something?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got my LR this week so it should come with a year's free subscription but when I try to access those services it asks me to subscribe and pay. Does the free subscription need to be activated or have I missed something?
Mine was completely automatic, it was enabled when I collected it, and my mobile app worked straight away too (mine is a company car). I'd ping Tesla if not present, maybe they missed a step in delivery process.

Reactions: Howie

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mine was completely automatic, it was enabled when I collected it, and my mobile app worked straight away too (mine is a company car). I'd ping Tesla if not present, maybe they missed a step in delivery process.
Thanks for the reply, really helpful!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds like your car isn't marked as 'handed over', just something I saw on a youtube video earlier. Probably an easy fix.

·
Registered
672 Posts

PC was free for life on cars ordered before 30th June 2018.
Plenty of disgruntled M3 owners that may have had pre-ordered/reservations in by this date; but orders orders even from May 2019, are after this date.
We ordered July 2019, and was listed online at that point, PC was a limited 1 year free; with the prospect in the future, the SR+ owners will be offered a subscription package.
Given I've saved £325/year over first 5 years thanks to the government; this in many ways compensates for the £120/year premium connectivity that I'll have the opportunity to pay.
Swings and roundabouts, some you win, some you lose.

·
Registered
741 Posts

PC was free for life on cars ordered before 30th June 2018.
Plenty of disgruntled M3 owners that may have had pre-ordered/reservations in by this date; but orders orders even from May 2019, are after this date.
We ordered July 2019, and was listed online at that point, PC was a limited 1 year free; with the prospect in the future, the SR+ owners will be offered a subscription package.
Given I've saved £325/year over first 5 years thanks to the government; this in many ways compensates for the £120/year premium connectivity that I'll have the opportunity to pay.
Swings and roundabouts, some you win, some you lose.
I have to agree, £10 pm is worth it for me as I normally commute 100 miles everyday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts