Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that after a few lost court cases and a strong push from Canada on the back of the one in Australia, those that ordered cars early last year before the wording changed are now getting free premium connectivity back in their cars.

If you think you fall into that camp and its not showing as free in MyTesla it might be worth asking the question.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Seems that after a few lost court cases and a strong push from Canada on the back of the one in Australia, those that ordered cars early last year before the wording changed are now getting free premium connectivity back in their cars.

If you think you fall into that camp and its not showing as free in MyTesla it might be worth asking the question.
Interesting do we know what dates for cars registered? All models?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Premium connectivity is a complete waste of money in the UK IMO. They use a foreign SIM so you can't use iPlayer and other video streaming services.

I have just bumped my data allowance with my mobile provider for an extra £1 a month, and so I can just connect to the hotspot, which means I can actually use the streaming services and YouTube doesn't think I'm in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep. Confirmed. I didn’t renew premium at the year 1 point in August and used my phone connection when needed. Updated to 2020.40.8 this morning and premium connectivity has returned!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yep mine now says it is an included option. They did take the direct debit last month though. Wonder whether I should cancel it myself.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Yep. Confirmed. I didn’t renew premium at the year 1 point in August and used my phone connection when needed. Updated to 2020.40.8 this morning and premium connectivity has returned!
Yes us too and good news. We had raised complaint with Tesla and didn't pay when was due Aug. I use Spotify a lot and be good not having to faf with hotspot on phone any longer and be able to see delays - which hotspot didn't provide.

As above, it is for those who (like us) ordered before website was changed early July 2019. At that point you couldn't order SR+ so doesn't apply...

·
Registered
674 Posts
As above, it is for those who (like us) ordered before website was changed early July 2019. At that point you couldn't order SR+ so doesn't apply...
My SR+ was ordered on 5th May 2019..... but I'm pretty sure SR+ has always said it does not come with premium connectivity (and didn't mention that there was any way to get it) we also had it free on and off for over half a year while they sorted out the payment options.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
My SR+ was ordered on 5th May 2019..... but I'm pretty sure SR+ has always said it does not come with premium connectivity (and didn't mention that there was any way to get it) we also had it free on and off for over half a year while they sorted out the payment options.
Yes, my mistake. You are right the difference was SR+ initially didn't even offer it as an option as there was no way to pay for it. At that time it was widely discussed it would be around $100 a year.

Reactions: Benhchap

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes, my mistake. You are right the difference was SR+ initially didn't even offer it as an option as there was no way to pay for it. At that time it was widely discussed it would be around $100 a year.
That is my experience too with an SR+. I was not expecting it and was very pleased with the six months free afterwards. I don’t really need it but have purchased it for a couple of months separately since when the children demanded it! It’s great to have that option.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Did anyone cancel their paid subscription or direct debit ? Mine shows up as an "included" option now but the direct debit is still active.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Didn't set up a DD, they just took from my card if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
452 Posts
That is my experience too with an SR+. I was not expecting it and was very pleased with the six months free afterwards. I don’t really need it but have purchased it for a couple of months separately since when the children demanded it! It’s great to have that option.
So for us standard range plus owners we're left with that only one option?

The only thing I quite liked was having the satellite maps, the rest I could live with just using my mobile hotspot to get working. Did anyone else find the live traffic visualisation quite disappointing? Quite hard to read, obtain much useful information out of having it.
If this was improved, I probably would be willing to pay a small amount to have it back but it would be a lot less than the £10 a month it is currently.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
If this was improved, I probably would be willing to pay a small amount to have it back but it would be a lot less than the £10 a month it is currently.
The price is because Tesla are very USA centric, where mobile data costs are much higher than Europe. In USA at $10 it is actually very competitive vs. Audi, BMW, JLR, etc. In fact, Tesla offer far more for free than those other manufacturers, most require a subscription to remote lock, precondition, etc .

However, in Europe those manufacturers typically offer connectivity for longer and/or at lower cost, which makes the £120 a year (after 30 days or a year) look expensive. Personally I think that a mid tier at £5 that doesn't include Netflix and web browsing might be attractive for a lot of owners.

Reactions: lucasfunkt
1 - 15 of 15 Posts