Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my M3P arrives with a year of premium connectivity...

1) Does it use its own data connection, or does it use my mobile data?

2) if it uses its own, which network does it use, and how fast is it?

Just thinking about blissful netflix for all the hours I spend waiting to pick kids up...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It's a roaming SIM that ends up with a spanish or dutch IP... It works fine for netflix. Only downside is iplayer thinks you're in another country.

·
Registered
119 Posts
5G -- is that even widely available in the UK? I have not run a speedtest from the car's web browser but it has been fine for me for Netflix. More important I would think is the strength of GSM coverage where the car is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know I don't have to upgrade my mobile contract along side my drive, consumer unit etc etc

·
Registered
120 Posts
When premium runs out or you are in area with bad signal can you use your phone connection?
Paragraph lifted from Tesla's FAQ page:

"Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
Some features that are available to Standard Connectivity owners over Wi-Fi such as video streaming, Caraoke and the internet browser may also be accessed over mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier. "

However, I know for a fact that mobile hospot will not work with live traffic and satellite view. These two features are exclusive to people who subscribe to premium connectivity.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
There’s a general belief that all premium content is available via a Wi-fi hot spot. The two stated exclusions relate to live traffic display on the map (although still used for routing) and google earth type view of the map. These are said to be available via a hotspot except the car drops Wi-fi when you put it in drive (although you can manually reconnect to the hotspot). Mine has premium so I can’t check myself

As mentioned above, it’s 4G and almost certainly on a Dutch carrier. older cars are capped at 3G which was Spanish

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just got the email (UK), and I'm happy to pay £9.99 a month.

My question is: Can anyone play Netflix content in in the car? It hasn't been working for me for quite a few weeks now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Netflix has been working fine on my car. From time to time YouTube will stop working but after an update earlier this year seems to have resolved that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just got the email (UK), and I'm happy to pay £9.99 a month.

My question is: Can anyone play Netflix content in in the car? It hasn't been working for me for quite a few weeks now.
I was about to post exactly that - I've had my LR AWD for 2 weeks, everything works fine except Netflix which either asks for a login or goes back to the entertainment menu.

We do have a home Netflix account but I thought the Premium Connectivity package (1y my car) was supposed to include this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
You always had to have a separate subscription for Netflix. The LR AWD allows you to stream via the built in network. My understanding is you cannot do that on the Standard Range Plus.

·
Registered
74 Posts
OK, so how do I get Netflix to work using Tesla's account please (LR)? It will not connect, no matter how I try

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
OK, so how do I get Netflix to work using Tesla's account please (LR)? It will not connect, no matter how I try
I don’t think you can - it’s not like Spotify.

You need to pay for your own Netflix subscription.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don’t think you can - it’s not like Spotify.

You need to pay for your own Netflix subscription.
OK, it’s confusing when Premium Connectivity says it includes Netflix and Spotify- I couldn’t see anywhere that said you need your own account for one but not the other....

I’ll now log in with our existing account.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm getting this message when trying to play Netflix in the car. App opens ok, can see my account and content, even the background previews play, but no luck when trying to play anything. It's been like this for 2 months already.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've now logged into our existing Netflix account & scrolled through a couple of movies - it worked straight away :D

....maybe if this lockdown lasts through the summer & there's a scorching hot day I should sit in the car with a few beers & watch Netflix? (after all, the house doesn't have aircon & the car is hardly moving).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've now logged into our existing Netflix account & scrolled through a couple of movies - it worked straight away :D

....maybe if this lockdown lasts through the summer & there's a scorching hot day I should sit in the car with a few beers & watch Netflix? (after all, the house doesn't have aircon & the car is hardly moving).
It sounds great through the cars sound system also !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts