Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have quickly realised that if you have kids in the back of your Model S regularly then you need to come up with an aftermarket storage solution as there appears to be ZERO storage of any kind in the back. No storage bins in doors, no pockets in the seat backs, no centre console and no cup holders - not so much as a completely redundant ashtray to finger-poke small bits of rubbish into. I think is pretty weird, tbh, what were they thinking?

Anyway, its already driving my wife nuts, and I can see her point tbh.

Tesla appear to have come up with own (fairly nasty imho) solution to the problem they created with the Premium Rear Console - is that what everyone has? The thread is over a year old so I thought it was worth asking the question again. Maybe I missed something when I specced my car, I can't actually find it on the UK website anywhere and don't see an accessories section?

Just wondering what people are doing?

o7

J

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're kidding ......

EDIT : I have sent a note to Tesla asking them how much the console is to order. (y)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a very prompt reply from Tesla to say that the Premium Rear Console is 'quite popular' and 'no longer in production' .................. lol

J

·
Registered
65 Posts
Odd. I have it and it has been very valuable during our holiday for water bottles & sunglasses. The kids love it.
Initially looks like it may move a bit being only retained by the one strap, but actually found that it stays in place very well.

I ordered it back in May I think, and was delivered in June with the car - matching leather & trim.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
We have quickly realised that if you have kids in the back of your Model S regularly then you need to come up with an aftermarket storage solution as there appears to be ZERO storage of any kind in the back. No storage bins in doors, no pockets in the seat backs, no centre console and no cup holders - not so much as a completely redundant ashtray to finger-poke small bits of rubbish into. I think is pretty weird, tbh, what were they thinking?

Anyway, its already driving my wife nuts, and I can see her point tbh.

Tesla appear to have come up with own (fairly nasty imho) solution to the problem they created with the Premium Rear Console - is that what everyone has? The thread is over a year old so I thought it was worth asking the question again. Maybe I missed something when I specced my car, I can't actually find it on the UK website anywhere and don't see an accessories section?

Just wondering what people are doing?

o7

J
Absolutely no food or drink is permitted in the car (except for water on very long trips and when stuck in traffic).

Lack of storage bins means that much less crap gets left in there. Once a week I collect up the lego figures, hair clips and tissues and dump them in a pile on the kitchen worktop.

Never owned such a tidy car.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a great option and you can colour coordinate them as well - if it doesn't work out with the OEM one I may well order one of these, thanks!

Regarding the "enforcement" strategy that you other guys seem to be able to use ...... never going to happen in our household! The wife and kids all enjoy drinking, eating and general revelry in the car and it its a horrible mess. I spend long periods away from home so there is no chance of me policing this - mitigation is my best strategy :

1) I bought one of those 'car bins' with tear off bags inside
2) I have the car cleaned by an energetic professional regularly
3) I take a plastic bag out to the car and fill it with all the crap and dump in the kitchen
4) Occasionally there is shouting and "emotional engagement" - note : this does not work but makes me feel better

Thanks for the linky!

J

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The new Tesla centre console (available as upgrade) has cup holders for the rear but still no rear storage.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The new Tesla centre console (available as upgrade) has cup holders for the rear but still no rear storage.
Would love to see a picture or link, our car is 2 days old and has the new centre console and nothing under the rear vents at all that I can see.

J

·
open source sustainable company
617 Posts
Would love to see a picture or link, our car is 2 days old and has the new centre console and nothing under the rear vents at all that I can see.

J
Tesla — Model S Integrated Center Console

Link above look at third and fourth image under the main one shows the 2 cup holders

Your car isn't unique in that a lot of people have the new centre console but not the 2 rear cup holders, which is even newer and isn't or hasn't been installed until recently on new orders, which deliver in a few weeks time.

Your build of car probably missed this by a few weeks/months at the time it was built.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aaaaargh, how annoying. Here's mine :

Ah well, S**t happens ... lol. Wish they hadn't discontinued the OEM bodge though but the aftermarket one linked by you above looks OK and is cheaper I 'spose.

J

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd be interested in a group buy on this after market rear one, if a few are interested, even if we just saved a little and combine shipping, of course we will almost certainly get clobbered for import duty/VAT.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Does anybody know what is underneath the centre console armrests? If the space is empty, there could be cupholders and a bin for rear passengers in there.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'd be interested in a group buy on this after market rear one, if a few are interested, even if we just saved a little and combine shipping, of course we will almost certainly get clobbered for import duty/VAT.
Just thought I'd throw this out there.
I'm sure you could get this in the UK from Tesla Parts...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts