Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a brand new e+ Tekna and am selling my now nearly seven year old Tekna 24 privately as I was offered a silly part exchange deal.

The car is in pretty good condition, at 43k miles, with all the bars on the battery but it does have a few bumper scrapes and a small dent on the nearside wing - is it worth spending ~£700 sorting these or better to drop that amount off the asking price and leave as is?

We have always charged to 80% just going up to 100% when we need it for a particularly long journey the next day (couple of times a month if that) Total of only 4 rapid charges in its life!

I just bought leaf spy and have done a test and am trying to figure out what it means :-SOH = 86.65 AHr=56.67 the bars look all fairly similar in height but all but 6 of them are red - is that a problem? The car has been sitting about for a couple of weeks unused - should I try and drive it a bit and charge to 100% or even go to a rapid charger. Would this turn it more blue?? Would it increase the SOH? Not really sure what it all means TBH. I don't want to manipulate it to something its not - I just don't want it to look unnecessarily bad.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Given its 1.66% away from dropping that first battery bar it depends how open you want to be with a potential buyer, you effectively have an 11 bar car in their minds if they are well informed, but if they are a noob, should one be educating them or taking advantage of their lack of knowledge.

That sounds a harsh analysis, personally if selling privately I’d be open and honest as I wouldn’t want it to come back on me, and I like to walk way from any transaction (be it an ebay sale) knowing I’ve been as good faith as I possibly could (others are not so altruistic). However if I was chipping it in to a garage, more fool them for not being well informed about battery degradation and leaf spy.

On the balancing of cells, this thread had some good advice that I followed prior to selling my 2015 Leaf Re-balancing the cells

Reactions: pip895

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Don’t try and do anything to “increase the SOH”. You can’t. 7 years old with no bars gone is pretty miraculous. I machine if you followed any of the “advice” about doing a deep discharge and full charge, or a series of rapid charges, all you’ll achieve is the battery controller realising its -actually- below 85% SOH and dropping a bar!

personally for a 7 year old car I wouldnt worry too much about cosmetic bodywork. You might have slightly more buyers interested if it looks perfect but you’ll have enough interest anyway that it will sell no problem

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that - I will probably get the two worst bits done re touching up ~£300 and leave it at that. I have actually just put the car through a full service and MOT at our local Nissan dealer and they didn't even give me a battery report! (I asked about it and was fobbed of with some story about "a software upgrade meant they couldn't do it anymore"??) one of the reasons I went for leafspy.. but its thrown up more questions than answers really.

I will charge up to 100% and then take it out for a short run about just because Its been sitting around for a while but I'm not going to do anything more..

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
One other thing to do before selling any Leaf is to remove it from your You+Nissan account so the new owner doesn't have to go through the rigmarole of contacting Nissan to get the car transferred to their account...

I say this as someone who had to go through this rigmarole. ;) If the car is still on your account it blocks the new owner from adding the VIN of the car onto their account so they can use the app, and also means you still have access to control their car after you've sold it... going through Nissan to sort this out is a slow process.

Also remember to clear your information on the infotainment system such as contacts, recently navigated address, home address etc...

When I bought my Leaf not only was the car still on the old owners You+Nissan account, it still had all their synced contacts, navigation destinations and home address! So I had to go through and clear it all out myself. There are many pages to search through to find everything that should be deleted unfortunately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts