Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a home charger. And with my Model 3 I had the 13amp plug, and Type 2 cable to use with said charger.

Thinking of when I venture out, do I need to prepare for the pubic charging network?

Does the Type 2 cable work with Tesla Super Chargers?
Do I need to set something up in the app to pay for Super Charging?

When using other charge points, do I need an account, or can I pay on the spot with Apple Pay?
Presume the Type 2 cable will work. But do I need a Chademo? Convertor.

Just looking for general guidance, so I can go and research and be prepared as possible. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
987 Posts
You’ll only need your cable for slow charging on AC posts. Rapid and supercharging will be done with the cables tethered to the charging units. For a Model 3 that’s the CCS cable. No adaptors needed.

Take a look at Zap Map along the routes you will drive. It will show you where chargers are and who operate them. You’ll also see how to pay. You will likely need memberships with most of them.

As long as your Tesla account has up to date payment details you just turn up at a supercharger, plug in and you’ll start charging immediately and will be billed automatically.

Other public chargers are not so simple, and you can’t always expect to just tap a contactless credit card.

Even if you see a supercharger or rapid charger equipped with a type 2 cable do not use it or you will charge very slowly or not at all. Always use CCS.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
General guidance is to use the Supercharger and Tesla Destination charging network when you can. Much less hassle.

If you have to stray away from that, there are a few options such as Instavolt which you can pay with card.

Worth setting up the Electric Highway and Podpoint app before you go. There are others of course, but it depends where you are heading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts