Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm an EV novice but have taken the plunge and ordered the M3P, due May/June, just wondering what I should do to prepare...

Getting a podpoint 7kw on the drive, but there's charging at work as well - I'm sooo confused about public charging networks. Zapmap shows 4 chargers in our multistorey at work (Grafton st, Manchester), which are labelled as charge your car, but there are another 2 boxes with 4 points on the staff levels that have the same boxes labelled new motion (dont appear on the new motion app). There are some in the other multistorey that I don't have a permit for that look like they're definitely charge your car (which means free on the gmev network in Manchester)... Any insights into that mess much appreciated... Which apps are most reliable or comprehensive?

I've ordered the roof wind/sealing strips, a centre console bin/organiser and had some mats in mind, but looks like the M3P has mats included. Some jack pucks, a boot liner. Anything else I should be looking at?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Only joking-ish. I have done the same and feel similarly excited, when did you order? What colour? I went for the Multicoat Red black interior without FSD. I have a few purchases in mind, most of what you mentioned. but will wait until it arrives first. I really would not worry about the charging if you do less that 20k miles/year and you have a home charger. The Supercharger network is all you will need.

Other goodies to consider::
Memory Stick USB for the Sentry mode/Dash cam - physical size as small as possible, 64Gb high speed
Ceramic coating/PPF (clear film)

And after a few months:
May consider wrapping centre console in Carbon/mat stuff
Window tints
Sound deadening under bonnet/boot (translation Frunk/Hood/Trunk - got to learn the lingo) and doors (internal and edges)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plain White, no FSD, via my company, so a littel limited as to what mods I can make until I purchase it outright in a couple of years, if I choose to do that..... Just ordered, and going purely on what the company bods are telling me - no VIN etc in advance, just get weekly updates until it arrives....

Was looking at a sandisk high endurance microSD and an adapter but have a few 128GB sandisk fit usb drives that are tiny that I might give a go.

My mileage is going to be about 24k, if I can get free charging at work I'll probably do the opposite of most people and charge during the day and just use the home charger for preconditioning and weekend top-ups.

I'm really struggling with the public charging concept though - whats the point in having a keyless car and having to carry 15 access cards for charging on various networks? I might just hang around the charger at work and ask people what they do..... I wish there was a decent, comprehensive mapping and info service....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Forget public charging. Yes I agree if you lease a Jag i-pace or Audi e-tron you would be right to panic. Just find a Supercharger (zap map/tesla.com) and do a Bjorn. Food, games, sleep whatever.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yep, surely one the main benefits of a Tesla is not having to use the public chargers. Maybe look for an Instavolt if there's no Supercharger nearby (no app / card needed, other than a normal contactless bank card).

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,700 Posts
If you can charge at home or work then with M3 long range or performance then the Tesla charging network should cover you on longer trips and if for some reason need odd charge the Instavolt network is just PAYG contactless and others will follow.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Other goodies to consider::
Memory Stick USB for the Sentry mode/Dash cam - physical size as small as possible, 64Gb high speed
Ceramic coating/PPF (clear film)
Question: I've been told to NOT get the small sized ones as they overheat quite bad. It's better to get the larger ones, even though it takes up more space in the cubby hole, as it will help to dissipate the heat better. What's people's input on this? Has anyone experienced problems with the USB getting really hot?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
A load of white M3P have been listed this morning on inventory so if you want it sooner I'd make a phone call and try and get them top match you to one of those (all black interiors though I think)

CYC run GMEV (looks like you know this already) so its one and the same. You may want to order an RFID card for GMEV (it used to be cheaper than buying the CYC one but did the same thing) as underground car parks can be unreliable for mobile signal. I used to park in the Manchester Central car park up until 3 years ago and the chargers were often taken by 8:30 back then, I guess there will now be more but they fill up quick.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You may not always be able to rely on free work charging so switch to a supplier with an early morning cheap charging rate. Octopus is an obvious recommendation for me as I just switched to the GO tariff this week.

Sandisk 64GB PRO Endurance + UGreen SD card reader USB3.0/USB-C
IPow Magnetic phone mount.
Screen protector which reduces finger marks too.
Mud guards.
Centre console rubber card holder/tray if don't use the phone as a key.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Loads more have appeared - seems they made a lot of white that aren't allocated although there are some other colours mixed in. If you go via here I now flag which are easy to find on the Tesla website and which are hidden inventory

·
Registered
131 Posts
Question: I've been told to NOT get the small sized ones as they overheat quite bad. It's better to get the larger ones, even though it takes up more space in the cubby hole, as it will help to dissipate the heat better. What's people's input on this? Has anyone experienced problems with the USB getting really hot?
It was the location I was thinking about when I said small. You can plug in a small hub and tuck it away then you don't lose the USB port.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My delivery date is 25th June (sigh!). I have been told the date will drop nearer the delivery time. Mine will be on Salary Sacrifice so may have trouble getting update information. I have the RN number though if that is any use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts