Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a leaking valve via the core and wondered if anyone can tell me if the valve core is a standard valve core as seen in standard tyre valves.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Valve cores usually just screw in, it wouldn't be too difficult to remove one to see. I don't see why they would be different. I would pop a jack under the suspension arm though to stop the car flattening the tyre when you let the air out, that way you stand a reasonable chance that the tyre beads will retain their seal on the rim and you'll be able to pump the tyre up with a low power compressor. You can pick up valve removal tools for a couple of pounds from ebay and about double that from Halfrauds. Some valve dust caps have a valve removal tool build into them.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,533 Posts
Not answering the question (that is already done above), but I don't get the "I might". Wouldn't a bit of water with detergent tell you what's going on? Or am I missing something? Honest question, I am not trying to be a smart a**.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not answering the question (that is already done above), but I don't get the "I might". Wouldn't a bit of water with detergent tell you what's going on? Or am I missing something? Honest question, I am not trying to be a smart a**.
Point taken but I would still like to know whether the valve cores are as in standard valves.

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
693 Posts
Do you know for certain you have TPMS pressure sensing valves. I'm fairly certain that our 2017 ZE40 doesn't, and uses the brake sensors for the ABS to determine if a wheel is rotating faster than others, and hence deflating. Our Zoe doesn't give the pressures for each wheel, as other Renaults with TPMS valves did. Do Zoes with TPMS valves show the tyre pressures?

·
4,533 Posts
Do you know for certain you have TPMS pressure sensing valves. I'm fairly certain that our 2017 ZE40 doesn't, and uses the brake sensors for the ABS to determine if a wheel is rotating faster than others, and hence deflating. Our Zoe doesn't give the pressures for each wheel, as other Renaults with TPMS valves did. Do Zoes with TPMS valves show the tyre pressures?
ZOE with TPMS does NOT show pressure anywhere, but it does in CanZE (sorry!). I don't know about the ZE50 though.

I have been both told, as well as seen denials, that some ZOE's use differential rotation indeed to raise the tire pressure alarm, so there :poop:

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
693 Posts
ZOE with TPMS does NOT show pressure anywhere, but it does in CanZE (sorry!). I don't know about the ZE50 though.

I have been both told, as well as seen denials, that some ZOE's use differential rotation indeed to raise the tire pressure alarm, so there :poop:
CanZE doesn't show tyre pressures on our ZE40, which is one of the reasons I don't think it has TPMS sensors. Not had the tyres off yet to check. The car didn't complain when we swapped the wheels front to rear to equalise wear, which I think cars with sensors sometimes do,

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, but I do get warings about checking tyre pressures and the Punctures.

Thanks to those who posted "Yes" confirmations :)

·
4,533 Posts
Just for later reference (again, pre-ZE50 caveat!) ZOE reports pressures only while driving (which CanZE then picks up). I think it is a fair assumption that if
  • It's a post 2014-11 produced car (before that, pressure monitoring was not mandated)
  • CanZE works just fine in other screens
  • You are driving
  • No pressures are shown
you're dealing with a non-TPMS-sensor car. By regulations, post late-2014 it should then have low pressure alarm, so it then should have a rotation difference system. In that case it would not make any sense if IDs were displayed, so that would be some sort of double check. If IDs are shown, but no pressures (again, while driving), I am lost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts