Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anyone have a fool proof method to prevent the rubber caps, at both ends of a public charging cable, filling with rain or snow when plugged in (and dangling loose).

thanks

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Take them off and throw them away? :unsure:
What purpose do they serve other than to transfer water into the plugs? I'd rather take the risk of my plugs getting dirty in their carry bag than the caps keep water in and the small amount of dirt in the bag out.
Might be different if it's a lead at home that you just drop on the floor, but mine have wall mounts to avoid that.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take them off and throw them away? :unsure:
What purpose do they serve other than to transfer water into the plugs? I'd rather take the risk of my plugs getting dirty in their carry bag than the caps keep water in and the small amount of dirt in the bag out.
Might be different if it's a lead at home that you just drop on the floor, but mine have wall mounts to avoid that.
That's not answering the question. I have a particular use in mind that will require the caps to be refitted after use. Other than drying out the caps with a towel, I'm looking for a solution that enables the rubber caps to be used in their intended manner . A clip or velcro such that rubber cap is always pointing downwards whilst the plug is engaged would be ideal.... anyone?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Mennekes untethered cable only has a cap on the end that goes in to the car, as does my tethered home charger. For both, I find that when plugged in to the car, resting the open side of the cap against the side of the car stops most of the rain getting in to it, it may get slightly damp but it’s not an issue. It does seem a bit pointless having caps on untethered cables as you’re not going to leave them outside not plugged in.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,449 Posts
I made a small clip on a 3d printer that clips around the cable and then has a small arm to put the cap tether through. Roughly the shape of the number '2' or a '?' with a horizontal bar attached to the bottom of the upper curve. The main reason for it was to stop the cap rubbing the bodywork in the wind but it also keeps rain and should also keep snow out of the cap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts