Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
£3k off so now under 75 grand.

$3k and €3k off in other markets too I believe.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I don't think its the first drop either in recent months either. Supply and demand I guess, its looking a little old compared to the M3 despiute the tweeks and announcing the Plaid model for the end of next year is going to have people holding off I guess expecting the "refresh" if it ever comes to arrive. Personally I might have been tempted to hold the price and ship them all with FSD turned on, not that I value FSD that much but it would maintain the "premium" badge for the MS. That said, at the end of last quarter they bundled lots of inventory with FSD and a discount so they've tried that and will have the data to know whether it was worth doing.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I presume battery costs are now so low that re-making a "standard range" 75D model for ~£60k would mean a big drop of profit-per-car, given that Model S is probably a helluva lot more expensive to build than M3.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
They were aiming for $100 a kwh so 25 kwh is $2.5k. Even if it was double that, there's only $5k between the raw production cost, add on the other margins and mark ups I imagine the 75 would have the same profit if priced at 65-70k. If the fag packet maths is right, dropping below 65/70 is going to start hurting margin and only something they'd do if they had excess capacity, and either way they'd probably prefer people to drop 60k on a M3P than a MS 75D/Std range so don;t give them the choice..

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It did in the US but not sure it has over here. I don't know why Musk gets involved in these choldish games pricing the car after a sex act and shorthand for cannabis - he might think its really funny, as will some owners, but to me it feels like he just wings it from day to day. Maybe I'm getting too old!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts