Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in late 2010 and early 2011, when the all-electric Nissan LEAF and range-extended Chevrolet Volt debuted in the U.S., we were inundated with stories of dealer price-gouging. In some cases, dealers were adding upwards of ten or twenty thousand dollars on the price of new plug-in cars.

Are BMW dealers price-gouging the i3?

Since then, price-gouging — selling cars well above MSRP in order to cash in on high demand and low availability — has been mercifully absent for the most part. But now it appears price gouging is back, this time with the BMW i3.

http://transportevolved.com/2014/04/01/price-gouging-returns-dealers-add-manufacturer-extras-bmw-i3/

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have to agree that price gouging stinks, as does the 'supply and demand' argument. I agree that S&D means shortages but it shouldn't mean greater value. see any industry with limited supply (ie concert tickets) and there is someone profiteering by artificially limiting that supply (touting).
I am not a fan of the business model that is "charge as much as you can get" I much prefer "charge what it costs+ a profit margin" It's far more ethical to value money by work done rather than an arbitrary expectation. I greatly approve of Elon Musk and Teslas approach of selling cars at the same standard 'cost+' price around the world instead of re-factoring pricing to match national gdp/wages etc. Yet another thing they have done correctly.

·
Banned
558 Posts
This article seems to be quoting US experience with BMW price inflation - it seems iffy to me that this should be presented on a UK chat room - as if it were happening here? Stories need to have integrity and source/context declared. There have been no similar reports from UK buyers - or am I wrong?o_O

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Who says this is a UK only forum (it's not a chat room at all)? Anyone is welcome and all EV discussion is relevant so far as I'm concerned.

I'm fascinated with all aspects of the EV world and love to hear from as far and wide as possible, so please, keep it coming folks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts