Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you people get on your Leaf 24 / 30 ?

how much in fuel/Electricity does it cost you per mile ?
(assuming your not charging for free)

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
That's totally variable depending on whether people can charge at home or have to use public chargers. And then the economy and/or driving style of the car has a major effect on the outcome. Clearly the cheaper the cost of electrons and the more miles per kWh they achieve then the lower will be the price per mile.

The best will be a cheap overnight home tariff of say 6p per kWh used in a car driven by someone who is a hypermiling granny which will produce 0.8p per mile. Then through all prices per mile up to someone driving at 80mph in heavy rain up the M6 over Shap, and filling up at an expensive charger. That could cost 20p per mile.

An average cost for an average driver in average weather conditions using a reasonably standard daytime tariff in a car with an average efficiency would be around 4p per mile - perhaps a bit less.

The same driver using a variety of 'paid for' public chargers would be paying around 9p per mile - possibly a bit less.

Someone with home availability but uses Rapids on road trips can find that their cost overall would be anywhere between 4 and 9p per mile subject to the split of miles involved.

We can now wait for dozens of forum replies to see how accurate my back of a fag packet estimates proves to be.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i realise its variable, same as an ICE car etc, but id be interested to know what your all getting :)

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
i realise its variable, same as an ICE car etc, but id be interested to know what your all getting :)
OK - I mostly charge at home and pay 13.6p per kWh. I manage something like 5 miles per kWh in Summer months which is 13.6/5 = 2.73p per mile.

In Winter months that would be 13.6/4 = 3.4p per mile.

But I drive an Ioniq, not a Leaf 24/30.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in NZ, and have cheap night rate electricity. Roughly 7.5kWh @ 12c for a 42 km round trip (varies a bit either way depending on summer/winter temperature). So ballpark 2.25c/km. Pretty much 2 NZ$ to the pound, 1.6 km to the mile, so about 1.9 pence per mile. Leaf 24, no attempt to "hypermile", mix of urban and open road.

As comparison, the V8 X5 that tows the horses, if (mis)used for the same trip, would be around 21 pence per mile. $$$ == Leaf love.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,387 Posts
At assumed 10p per kWh electric rate, my price per mile over whole of my ownership so far is: 2.44p per mile.
But I pay 7.6p per kWh during off-peak when I charge my car and a few times 35p per kWh, so 10p/kWh would be a pessimistic estimate.

Then there are other costs: estimated car depreciation, insurance, service, tyres, etc and fuel cost:
Total per mile cost, including absolutely everything I've spent to drive the car, is 24.2p per mile for me.

The same spreadsheet also records a similar priced 0.5 year older Skoda Octavia diesel, covering similar 8k per year miles. That is 41.6p per mile. Hopefully this will drop below 40p per mile in 2 years time when I sell the car before major service + timing belt + DSG oil need doing again, that would be a £1000 bill at main dealer prices.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The question is really "how much do you pay for electricity" since this varies far more than most car's economy. Even in our Model S we pay 2p/mile or less, because we pay on average 6p for electricity or charge from solar (which I could claim is -6p/mile since we get 18p/kWh generated)

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,356 Posts
Using OhmeEV and Octopus Agile ToU tariff, we manage 1-1.5p / mile.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,697 Posts
My estimate over 58,500 miles almost entirely on public charging, is approximately 3.5-4p per mile overall. This includes the cost of parking while charging if I wouldn't otherwise need to pay to park. Obviously doesn't include any ownership costs except fuel.

This year has been more like 6p per mile because I haven't needed to park anyway, and because I've been willing to pay for slightly more expensive chargers to ensure availability and reliability.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
i average around 3-3.5mi/kwh and pay 8p per kwh with an E7 meter.

So 2.2-2.6p a mile. Factor in some charging losses as well and its probably closer to 3p.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good to know !

thanks guys for answering, its interesting to see what your all getting if people make the switch from ICE

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
But what is the day rate? Many people claim savings on E7 but forget to admit the loss on higher day rates.
Well as it happens i've signed up to Octopus so i can get onto the Agile tariff, so currently the rates are actually 15/10 on a temporary fixed tariff.

I have an EmonCMS instance and detailled logs of my power use, so before i got E7 i carefully calculated the options.

For house only, it was actually pretty much dead heat even between E7 and standard. I do have some servers and network equipment as well as a fairly big fishtank which means a high-ish constant background load, and this probably helps balance out the E7 prices? We're also pretty good at running the dishwasher and washing machine overnight on the cheap rate power. Once the car gets added on, E7 was a decent amount cheaper. I do a fair amount of miles, 12-15k a year so the cheaper charging certainly makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Since I've been on Octopus Agile, my average price per mile has been around 0.8p Alas, 'lockdown' has meant that car has only done around a thousand miles in last three months. Low rate results from a couple of sessions at 'plunge' rates (i.e. negative cost per unit), several sessions plugged in at Tescos to have free power to make up for queueing time, several occasions when we had enough Solar power to use granny lead at 6 or 8 amps and just generally being able to charge car when pricing was most attractive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
But what is the day rate? Many people claim savings on E7 but forget to admit the loss on higher day rates.
I'm paying 26c day, 12c night; I could get circa 20c flat-rate. In an act of greenwashing, my power company give me 9pm to 7am (rather than 11pm to 7am) night rate because I have an electric car. The house is empty most days, I heat with electricity at night. My power bill has barely changed, my girlfriend is hotter at night. The petrol saving is free money.

But hey, everything else is expensive here in Middle Earth.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,356 Posts
I'm paying 26c day, 12c night; I could get circa 20c flat-rate. In an act of greenwashing, my power company give me 9pm to 7am (rather than 11pm to 7am) night rate because I have an electric car. The house is empty most days, I heat with electricity at night. My power bill has barely changed, my girlfriend is hotter at night. The petrol saving is free money.

But hey, everything else is expensive here in Middle Earth.
Aah you are with EDF Go Electric. They seem to have upped their day prices. I had then until May and day time rate was 17p

Also remember 2100 GMT to 700 GMT. As Sumner time ends keep that in mind

·
Registered
724 Posts
Aah you are with EDF Go Electric. They seem to have upped their day prices. I had then until May and day time rate was 17p

Also remember 2100 GMT to 700 GMT. As Sumner time ends keep that in mind

I suspect he's more likely with Meridian, given the NZ flag, pricing in "c" and reference to Middle Earth...

·
Registered
340 Posts
I get around 4.5 miles per kw summertime without driving too much like a Granny. On the 5p per kw overnight tariff at home, mixed in with the free scores I get at Tesco/Sainsburys/Local Out of Town Mall (need 6.6kw on board charger to make that worth it) I probably average around 4p per kw. So for me it's around 1p per mile.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts