Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really keen on getting a kona, but seems a lot of money for a hyundai. Starting to see prices coming down a bit, carwow quoting £32.5k for a premium. Hoping second hand prices will follow suit.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
73 Posts
On the other hand, they are in short supply, especially since the coronavirus (COVID-19) has hit production targets. There could be quite a shortage in about 4 months time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Really keen on getting a kona, but seems a lot of money for a hyundai. Starting to see prices coming down a bit, carwow quoting £32.5k for a premium. Hoping second hand prices will follow suit.
I think they are going to be around £30k for quite a while, including secondhand ones. The Kona snuck under the radar as a serious competitor to Tesla while the press were looking at Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes, and all the other supposed "Tesla killers".

Your best bet is to visit dealers and see if you can get a deal on an ex-demo.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If prices do come down, it has to be reflected in the "List Price" as that is what the "road tax" is based on. The Premium SE has a list price above the magic £40k level, which ensures it is liable for the luxury car tax. I know these are not the official terms but it is what people understand.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If prices do come down, it has to be reflected in the "List Price" as that is what the "road tax" is based on. The Premium SE has a list price above the magic £40k level, which ensures it is liable for the luxury car tax. I know these are not the official terms but it is what people understand.

Good news, VED now zero on all EV’s for 5 years but no plug in grant for cars over 50K list price. So good news for the all Kona purchasers unless you bought one recently, ouch. If anyone has one on order hopefully the Coronavirus problems will delay registration into the new tax year.

Budget 2020: Electric cars exempt from VED surcharge. Providing a further incentive for drivers and fleets to switch to electric cars, the chancellor has announced that zero-emission cars will be exempt from the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) 'expensive car supplement' until 2025.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I seem to remember that in the Budget Small Print the change in the so called Luxury Car Tax was backdated to 1st April 2017. That being the case, recent purchasers of the Premium SE need not be worried about the extra cost of ownership. Stay safe.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I try and keep up to date with supply and demand in order to second guess the likely residual value of my Sept 2018 Kona EV.

At the moment Dealers on Autotrader claim to have 18 New ones in stock, some with a discount of over £1k on top of the grant reduction. Most but not all, appear to be unsold 2019 models. The same publication quotes 74 Private/Trade Used models for sale, some with very low mileage.

On a separate note, Tesla UK yesterday advertised a number of Used (ex Test Vehicle) Model 3’s. The cheapest, with 10,721 miles, priced at £34,010, appears to have been snapped up quickly.

In my view the price of all EV’s will continue to soften, going forward. There are a number of reasons including lower Petrol and Diesel Prices and the general state of the economy for the next few years, making it harder to justify the purchase price differential.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts