Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few months on from my 10k service thread I've been phoning around for prices on the 20k service.

Again, surprised by the variation.

Local dealer in South Wales, Hutchings quoted £167.35.
Pretty much what I expected. Annoying that they insist on changing the brake fluid at 8 months old with a gentle EV 20k miles on the motorway.

Supplying dealer Richmond (Southampton and Portsmouth) quoted £205 and listed the exact same work to be carried out. They can't fit me in for a month anyway so they were out straight away.

Interested to hear your experiences.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The second price you mention is much more than I was told when checking before purchase. Here is a screenshot of a message I sent
Azure Rectangle Sky Font Electric blue

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the inconsistency is annoying. Especially considering how little work they actually do on the car.

·
Registered
Kona 64
704 Posts
The 10k & 30k are kick the tyres jobs, they tell you how much tread you’ve got left and how little wear you have on the brakes.

Fortunately my expensive service (2018 car) does not come till 100,000 miles when the coolant is changed.As you have discovered you have ‘superior’ coolant which has to be replaced at 40k

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 10k & 30k are kick the tyres jobs, they tell you how much tread you’ve got left and how little wear you have on the brakes.

Fortunately my expensive service (2018 car) does not come till 100,000 miles when the coolant is changed.As you have discovered you have ‘superior’ coolant which has to be replaced at 40k

Yes the battery coolant is the biggest joke.

Whilst I knew about the service charges before purchasing I didn't realise it included brake fluid on the second service. I really don't think it's required in my case and not changing it shouldn't (in my opinion) effect my warranty but at least one of the dealers spoken to insist it does.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Premium SE in Galactic Grey
222 Posts
I booked mine via the Hyundia website (1st service) and was quoted a price of £70.20 at the local dealer, who the previous day had quoted me £88.70. After I booked it via Hyundai, dealer called me to confirm, but again quoted £88.20, I forwarded the email I received from Hyundai and they honoured the lower price!

·
Registered
Kona64
1,757 Posts
wow I presume the Farlington mob were one of the high pricers
I could probably drive from there to Wales, have a decent sea side fish'n'chips, the 20k service, instavolt it and still be quids in.
I shall be asking the dealer to get somewhere near the Welsh pricing if they want my business.

Reactions: AdamLC

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
579 Posts
Yes the battery coolant is the biggest joke.

Whilst I knew about the service charges before purchasing I didn't realise it included brake fluid on the second service. I really don't think it's required in my case and not changing it shouldn't (in my opinion) effect my warranty but at least one of the dealers spoken to insist it does.
Brake fluid should be limited to once every 2 years, per the Kona's schedule and that of many other cars. I've had mine done at the second service at very low kms and the dealer used some clever kit to do that efficiently. Normally once a car is out of warranty I'd do this myself but for the Kona I think I'll let them handle it.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Yes, this will be very annoying.

But at the moment I have an Audi under warranty (so I feel safer having servicing done by Audi) so the cost of servicing the Kona seems like small change in comparison (except for the coolant, of course…….). This - and the ridiculous road tax (which we didn’t realise until we paying for the car; silly me) - is one of the reasons we are moving to an Electric Kona. That, and supporting Greta Thurnberg of course!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had the 20K service done last month at £155. Told them I could top up the washer fluid myself and the battery in my key remote was working OK and, when needed, I could change that. These deletes made it cheaper than the original quote.
When I got the bill it included £2.26 for brake fluid - I queried this as I knew it should be a change - and they confirmed this was correct and "yes, the brake fluid was replaced" !!!
Checking, a litre is available online at around £6.50 so I wonder how much fluid is needed?
The cabin air filter was over £40!!!!!

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Premium SE in Galactic Grey
222 Posts
Had the 20K service done last month at £155. Told them I could top up the washer fluid myself and the battery in my key remote was working OK and, when needed, I could change that. These deletes made it cheaper than the original quote.
When I got the bill it included £2.26 for brake fluid - I queried this as I knew it should be a change - and they confirmed this was correct and "yes, the brake fluid was replaced" !!!
Checking, a litre is available online at around £6.50 so I wonder how much fluid is needed?
Not car service, but similar mindset; I hired a van to help my son move house. It was a diesel and I got all the usual hard sell at the desk - insurance, waiver etc etc. All no. Then the usual, return with full tank, but needs to have AdBlue(?) full as well! Only did 40 miles and filled up tank at cost of c£9, only to get a penalty applied for £6 for the AdBlue. Looked this stuff up and typical consumption is a litre per 600 miles and it costs £10 for 10 litres!!!! I did 40 miles, used c0.06litres, but paid for the equivalent of 6 litres of the stuff, equivalent to 3,600 miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If they charged you only #2.26 (sorry, don't know how to do the English pound symbol on my Aussie keyboard) for the brake fluid, and they said they did a fluid change, then they are likely ripping you off. If they did anything at all, chances are they sucked out fluid from the reservoir and replaced it. That is NOT a brake fluid change. A brake fluid change needs the system to be flushed out, top to bottom, via bleeders at all 4 wheels. More than #2.26 worth of fluid required to do that!

You can buy after-market Kona cabin air filters on line for $16 Aussie - what's that, about #8.5 GBP!

·
Registered
678 Posts
If they charged you only #2.26 (sorry, don't know how to do the English pound symbol on my Aussie keyboard) for the brake fluid, and they said they did a fluid change, then they are likely ripping you off. If they did anything at all, chances are they sucked out fluid from the reservoir and replaced it. That is NOT a brake fluid change. A brake fluid change needs the system to be flushed out, top to bottom, via bleeders at all 4 wheels. More than #2.26 worth of fluid required to do that!

You can buy after-market Kona cabin air filters on line for $16 Aussie - what's that, about #8.5 GBP!
They probably buy in bulk by the barrel load at trade prices, and still able to put a mark up to the customer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The low cost of £2.26 was why I queried it - they checked with the service department and came back with "Yes, it was changed". Very difficult to prove any different if they stonewall!
Especially on a 1 year old vehicle that hardly uses the brakes. (using regen, I mean). No discolouration or drop in level etc
It has the tick on the warranty satisfied box and is on lease, so technically their car and will be returned to them.
Before it went in I did think "Does it really need the fluid change at 13 months old?" so aren`t unduly concerned about the car - just about what the garage tell me!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The low cost of £2.26 was why I queried it - they checked with the service department and came back with "Yes, it was changed". Very difficult to prove any different if they stonewall!
Especially on a 1 year old vehicle that hardly uses the brakes. (using regen, I mean). No discolouration or drop in level etc
It has the tick on the warranty satisfied box and is on lease, so technically their car and will be returned to them.
Before it went in I did think "Does it really need the fluid change at 13 months old?" so aren`t unduly concerned about the car - just about what the garage tell me!
I realise not everyone is a home mechanic, but it is easy to tell if it's been done properly. The brake bleeders on all the wheels get dirty in normal service. If the job has been done properly those bleeders will have been cleaned up and had a spanner put on them. Evidence of that is abundantly clear, with cleaned bleeders and spanner marks breaking off the road grime and showing evidence of having been applied to the bleeders . Lack of such evidence is proof positive that the job has not been done properly.

If you know what has to be done, not just on brakes but anywhere in the scheduled service, there are things you can do to test for compliance, like small scratch or paint marks which will show whether or not something has been attended to. Unfortunately not enough people have the required knowledge and trust that everything is done properly. Often it is, but just as often it is not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does it really need the fluid change at 13 months old?
This is exactly my point, my car isn't even 8 months old and has done the vast majority of its miles on the motorway, barely using brakes at all let alone friction brakes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, this will be very annoying.

But at the moment I have an Audi under warranty (so I feel safer having servicing done by Audi) so the cost of servicing the Kona seems like small change in comparison (except for the coolant, of course…….). This - and the ridiculous road tax (which we didn’t realise until we paying for the car; silly me) - is one of the reasons we are moving to an Electric Kona. That, and supporting Greta Thurnberg of course!

It's all relative. I feel like I'm being ripped off paying £160 for an electric to be serviced at 8 months old....on the flip side, my Mercedes is dues a service this month too. It's a nice car but it's a 2 litre diesel. It's done 19k miles and I was quoted a smidge under £700. Laughable (it's all service items, no belts etc.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is exactly my point, my car isn't even 8 months old and has done the vast majority of its miles on the motorway, barely using brakes at all let alone friction brakes.
The Australian service schedule is a check at 1500km, then every 15,000km or 12 months. I don't know how 8 months fits into that unless you're a high mileage user when mileage would trump calendar.

The requirement to change brake fluid is as much calendar driven as it is mileage driven because brake fluid absorbs moisture which can reduce braking performance and can create corrosion. But a brake fluid change at 8 months or a year is probably unnecessary - a good earner for an unscrupulous dealer. 2 years is average unless very excessive mileage. The Aus Kona interval is every 30,000km or 24 months.

However the brakes themselves are likely to need a bit more attention. Because the friction brakes on EVs don't get used much they don't get exercised as much. There are sliding parts that can stiffen up or seize with lack of use, especially in cold wet climates and especially where roads are salted. (Don't know if they are where you live, but it's a factor.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The requirement to change brake fluid is as much calendar driven as it is mileage driven. But a brake fluid change at 8 months or a year is probably unnecessary - a good earner for an unscrupulous mechanic. 2 years is average unless very excessive mileage.
I agree, two years is pretty standard these days. I also think 20k miles is low. Brake fluid absorbing water over time is I believe what causes the drop in performance and potential problems. Either way, I don't think I need new brake fluid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts