Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.

I have just signed up on here and thought I should introduce myself.

I have been driving a standard Prius (GEN 3 T4) for the last 22 months and averaging 60.5 to the gallon with a mixture of motorway and town driving. My car is due for a MOT in October but has just over 2 years left on the warranty so I am in no rush to change it.

I'm averaging about 22,000 miles per year with my main journey of approx 100 miles each way to HQ that I do about once or twice a week and then journeys all over the country on an adhoc basis and then some weeks pottering around the local area doing no more that 15-20 miles per day.

The Prius suits me at the moment but I would prefer to have something more EV but I'm not sure what - one of the reasons I have signed up on here

The other issue I have is that I can see myself moving in about 3 years nearer into London where there will only be on-street parking (and parking outside your house will be a blue moon experience) and I'm wondering how you can charge your EV when you don't have a home 'base' to do the overnight charge

Thanks for reading

Tim

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Hi Tim and welcome.

Charging an EV when you don't have off-street parking is difficult right now but depending on where you live it is sometimes not totally impossible. If you get a car with rapid charging, such as CHaDeMo 50KW DC ( e.g. Nissan Leaf) then if you live near a rapid charger you could charge there but it is inconvenient. On-street charging is one of the biggest problems with EVs right now and there is no real solution currently. That is one reason why I think that plug-in hybrids such as the Ampera or Volt will become popular over the next few years.

If there is anyone on the forum with experience of regular on-street parking at home please post your experiences.

Sounds like you have plenty of time to do the research and the tech may have changed and developed by then anyway :)

·
Militant EV driver!
4,563 Posts
Given your usage pattern:

If you were buying today, I would say go with the Plug-in Prius.

If you were buying later this year, get the BMW i3 REx. It will cover your commute, rapid charge and offer some backup against the on street parking conundrum.

I understand that there is a fund for councils to install on street charging. I have heard some London boroughs will put something outside of your house if asked. Otherwise check https://www.sourcelondon.net/map.php before moving.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello Tim,

If you have more details on your potential move in the next few years you could make an informed decision. It would be hard to beat the plug in Prius if your drive to London is within the range of the Prius plug in distance. This would be about an 8 to 10 mile round trip summer or winter. I don't know the polution zones of London to where using an ICE car becomes prohibitively expensive due to fees. Motorway driving or a round trip distance of 11 miles is beyond the range of the plug in Prius on electric.

If your employer has a plug in arrangement at your place of work you could be plugging in during the day and driving back and forth pretty much all electric with the Volt or Ampera. This assumes your round trip distance is about 30 to 35 miles.

On the Volt or Ampera you could use the motorways in all electric mode at any speed. The plug in Prius is limited to lower speeds for its electric range.

Ross

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Based on your regular 100 mile commute as being the major part of your mileage the Plug-in-Prius would probably suit you better than a Volt\Ampera.

The trade-off's occur at:
78 miles based on Gallons Equivalent in terms of fuel consumption.
98 miles based on Cost per Mile (using eco7 best case Electricity price)

see attached graphs, derived from US EPA label figures (converted to UK measures)

Attachments

·
Militant EV driver!
4,563 Posts
Be interesting to put the BMW i3 REx on this too :)

It has a 9 litre fuel tank.

They are saying NEDC gives 80-100 mile EV range and 150-190 mile range with the REx. So 70-90 miles extra on petrol.

Taking the middle figure and converting to the more realistic US EPA it would be 60.3 miles EV and 53.58 on petrol.

That would mean petrol economy of 27 mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your replies since I posted this last year.

I still haven't made a decision whether to change to a plug-in but with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV now on the market, this looks the logical vehicle, unless there are other manufacturers bringing out equivalent vehicles - PHEV with a 30+ miles EV range

Can anyone let me know if other manufacturers are planning on releasing similar vehicles

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Ampera/Volt…approx 45 mile range
VW Golf/Audi A3…….aprox 30 miles
VW group are talking about a complete range of PHEV's
BMW i3……………approx 80 miles

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks for all your replies since I posted this last year.

I still haven't made a decision whether to change to a plug-in but with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV now on the market, this looks the logical vehicle, unless there are other manufacturers bringing out equivalent vehicles - PHEV with a 30+ miles EV range

Can anyone let me know if other manufacturers are planning on releasing similar vehicles
Outlander PHEV is a good candidate, only around 30 miles pure electric but then you have a CHAdeMO connection to take advantage of a quick 30min rapid charge on the motorway. Hybrid implementation is somewhere between the Prius & the Ampera if I understood correctly. There are no gears, engine charges batteries or drives wheels if you're going fast enough to bring the engine onto the drivetrain (as no gears).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts