Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Private Leaf - Business mileage claim - your thoughts please

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  andywilliamsuk 
#1 ·
Hello one and all

We pick up our Leaf later today (excited!!) and most things I have happy with. I have just asked my employer what the situation is in regards to claiming business mileage back, and have been told I can't. I have hunted on the www to see if I can find a case to back my argument up - which is that I'll be using my own privately owned Leaf for company business. Has anyone come against this - and can employers pay out?

Thanks
Emma

#2 ·
Business mileage includes a provision for capital and maintenance costs, surely..?

#5 ·
I claim business mileage in my Leaf and it is paid at the same rate as any other vehicle.

Look at the table on the first page of this fact sheet, column B row 7 and 8. You can also see point 10.3 on page 9 for further details.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ta/file/315604/factsheet-tax-implications.pdf

What you are paid for is not a fuel expense, it's for use of your vehicle, regardless of the fuel type. If you drive a V12 Ferrari you don't get paid any more for the additional fuel it would use!

#6 ·
If they pay a business mileage rate for ICE vehicles then exactly the same rate should apply for your Leaf. HMRC don't differentiate between fuel types and the standard claimable amount if 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p per mile thereafter. Any deviation from this means you are eligible for tax relief using a P87 form.

The mileage rate is to cover depreciation, wear & tear, insurance & fuel.

Details of rates & allowances: Rates and allowances: travel - mileage and fuel allowances - Publications - GOV.UK

#7 ·
There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to claim or argue the normal standard rate for your workplace. I successfully argued this case within my own organisation (a local authority) as the mileage rate is based upon the total costs of providing a car - insurance, maintenance, VED, depreciation as well as fuel costs. There will be plenty of efficient Band A & B ICE cars claiming the allowance so the only difference with yours is that the fuel element is a bit lower.

#8 ·
45p per mile up to 10k miles a year, 25p per mile after that and the type of fuel used is completely irrelevant as far as HMRC is concerned.

If they throw the 'yes but electricity is free' argument at you tell them EV's are more expensive to purchase in the first place so it all evens out.

Reactions: MoonCat
#11 ·
I'm in local Authority, I claim mileage and get to charge at work.

#13 ·
Or book their electric pool car.

You might still need to submit a fuel reciept, so just get a random one from a family member.

#17 ·
I also claim mileage from work at the same rate as I used to when I had an ICE.
One other thought: if you regularly use your car for work purposes, make sure that your insurance company are aware of this. Otherwise they might refuse to cover you if you had an accident while driving for work.
Indeed, make sure you have some business mileage on your policy. I hardly ever use my own car, so I set it to the minimum of 200miles business, which is probably enough for me.

Anyone that says Business mileage costs them more is talking balls, my policy is the same regardless, its just an excuse used by people who do business mileage and don't add it to their policy.

#19 ·
We have clarified this with HMRC a couple of times now (after being given bad advice by an accountant).

Private vehicle use is 45p for first 10,000 miles and 25p thereafter - same as any other car.

You may be asked to submit a fuel receipt (if your employer wants to reclaim VAT) in which case an electricity bill or charging network membership/invoice is acceptable. We currently have a clarification with them over charging from self generated electricity and how a fuel receipt can be produced.... that'll be interesting!

As an employer it is worth mentioning that the rate of VAT on electricity (5%) and petrol (20%) is different which actually makes it more cost effective (for the employer) to reclaim vat form an employees mileage claim on an ICE car than an electric one. Again, something to think about!

#20 ·
Going from fully comp social/domestic/pleasure to Class 1 business (non-sales busines use of car) seems to make very little difference to annual premiums assuming a reasonably good driving history at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.