Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My screen has a vertical black pencil line , duff pixels ? anyone else had this and was it covered under warranty.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VW have just agreed to change the screen its the media pro, only 14 days warranty left so well played VW for not wriggling.
FYI a new version 21 map update is available, I used an sd card, for people like myself who can remember having to walk to a phone box and put pennies to make a call, the advice on line is sketchy at best, instead of 2 hours it took all day.
Anybody wanting to upgrade by sd card and not 100% on procedure, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
21 Posts
VW have just agreed to change the screen its the media pro, only 14 days warranty left so well played VW for not wriggling.
FYI a new version 21 map update is available, I used an sd card, for people like myself who can remember having to walk to a phone box and put pennies to make a call, the advice on line is sketchy at best, instead of 2 hours it took all day.
Anybody wanting to upgrade by sd card and not 100% on procedure, feel free to ask.
As you say the online guide on the VW website is rubbish, It took me a few goes, I've saved the procedure to my Onedrive ready for the next upgrade around May/June.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
TThat's kind of you. Please describe it. I have actually opened a "conversation".
Hi I will put info here in case anybody else is interested.
1. Download file from VW maps (just google search) save to desktop
2 Download zip software and open. its called 7zip, link is on VW map page
3. you need a 32 gig card put in computer ready
4. This is where I hit issues ,format card, by right click on sd card format fat 32. You cannot copy to it with copy and paste or dragging ,the SD card will not accept it, just says file is too big which its not. Helpful but wrong advice on line is to E Fat format for larger files works , but the satnav cannot read e fat format..
6.Make a couple or more copies of the downloaded sat nav files just in case, It takes an hour to download and if you mess up it gets very boring repeating
7.At this point right click on the un zipped satnav file, you will see 7zip option click on that it opens a box ,click open, its the top option.
This opens a second box with options and below the file you download ,click on that it opens and you see two folders and a text page symbol. along the top of the box you will see extract option in blue, click on this it opens another box.
it will show where its going to extract to, ignore it the symbol next to that is clicked and options of where you can extract to are offered ,choose your SD card which you have installed, click extract and because the files is transferring slowly your SD card will now accept it, takes an hour aprox. when its done right click on SD card and hit eject SD card.
pop SD card into satnav hard drive in glove box, on options in satnav update from sd card , it takes an hour.
8. All the procedures are on the vw website or elsewhere with pics if your not sure.
But the screw up for me. is not explained anywhere I could find, you cannot just transfer the data in a normal copy way, and the refusal to accept it, I thought I was being clever deleted Albania ,to reduce file size but it screwed up , another hour download ,hence make a couple of copies on your desktop before you start.
I have left out the other 3 attempts =3 more down loads.= 3 hours
I am sure there are better ways but it works.

·
Registered
900 Posts
For the people who have had their infotainment screen replaced, I assume it's just the screen and not the hard drive, brains, etc that runs it? I was going to do a big map update (including some European countries) before my three years is up and they'll want lots of money for it.

But, I'm also getting the infotainment screen replaced under warranty and I expect by the time it's fitted the car will have had its third birthday, so no map updates. Much respect to VW, 15 days until my warranty expires and they agreed to replace infotainment screen with absolutely no quibbling for a pretty minor issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the people who have had their infotainment screen replaced, I assume it's just the screen and not the hard drive, brains, etc that runs it? I was going to do a big map update (including some European countries) before my three years is up and they'll want lots of money for it.

But, I'm also getting the infotainment screen replaced under warranty and I expect by the time it's fitted the car will have had its third birthday, so no map updates. Much respect to VW, 15 days until my warranty expires and they agreed to replace infotainment screen with absolutely no quibbling for a pretty minor issue.
Map updates are lifetime, not just 3 years.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Map updates are lifetime, not just 3 years.
Excellent. I'd assumed since one of the benefits of the £70/year Guide and Inform Plus package is online map updates that I wouldn't be able to get map updates otherwise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Excellent. I'd assumed since one of the benefits of the £70/year Guide and Inform Plus package is online map updates that I wouldn't be able to get map updates otherwise.
Map updates are here:- Default Title in typical VW software style it's a bit of a pita to do the first time until you've figured out how to do it. It's UK & most of europe. No idea why this site has decided to call the link Default Title!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts