Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 2016 Acenta 30kWh
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we had our home charger installed today (a Zappi), and I had a real issue connecting the Type 1 / Type 2 cable to the car while the installer was trying to show me how to use it.

Before, it's always attached to the port on the car nice and smoothly with a satisfying click which seems to lock it in place.

This time it didn't want to go all the way in - almost as if the charging lock in the car was left on. I managed to get it connect with a bit of a push (hopefully haven't damaged it), but it's certainly not as easy as usual.

Any suggestions what might be the issue? Can't get any helpful info from the Nissan app or anything like that, and nothing useful in the manual.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
If this is an old cable then its probably got a some muck in it, or in the socket. this is preventing it going home. I've had similar with the my type 1 cable. A torch and a bamboo skewer are handy to find and remove anything caught in the plug or the car socket. Mine had a seed in it! Must admit I do not use the rubber cap but just hang it facing down so it stays dry, that's probably where it got in.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Hi, we had our home charger installed today (a Zappi), and I had a real issue connecting the Type 1 / Type 2 cable to the car while the installer was trying to show me how to use it.

Before, it's always attached to the port on the car nice and smoothly with a satisfying click which seems to lock it in place.

This time it didn't want to go all the way in - almost as if the charging lock in the car was left on. I managed to get it connect with a bit of a push (hopefully haven't damaged it), but it's certainly not as easy as usual.

Any suggestions what might be the issue? Can't get any helpful info from the Nissan app or anything like that, and nothing useful in the manual.
If it has a metal trigger/latch, they tend to slightly bend if dropped. Cure which is 100 percent effective is to file a tiny bit off the nose. Checkout EVBitz for a detailed explanation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had something similar, I found it was the rubber gasket in the plug which had twisted out of place. I just removed it which solved the problem short term, at some point I'll get around to pulling the plug apart to refit it....

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I also have had problems with the rubber gasket slipping out of place causing problems getting the Type 1 connector to connect properly. Like @Bungle I ended up removing the rubber gasket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks, that could be the answer. Our other cable connects fine, and looking inside this one there seems to be a bent / broken bit of gasket on one side. I'll see if I can get a craft knife in to slice it off.

And thanks for the photo @Hilltop Dave - really useful to have a comparison :)

Plug-Issue.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: couldn't slice the bent bit off so removed the whole gasket, and now it plugs in perfectly :) Hopefully the rubber thing wasn't too essential...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, just a query following up on this, inspired as I plug our car in to charge with storm clouds in the background... How waterproof is the whole port area of the car? It looks like it has drainage holes at the base beneath the two charging ports, but there's plenty of water dripping onto the plugged-in Type 1 end of the lead and rolling down towards the innards of the car.

Is leaving it to charge overnight when it's raining safe? Particularly relevant now I've removed the rubber seal...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks folks, that could be the answer. Our other cable connects fine, and looking inside this one there seems to be a bent / broken bit of gasket on one side. I'll see if I can get a craft knife in to slice it off.

And thanks for the photo @Hilltop Dave - really useful to have a comparison :)

View attachment 139787
I have the exact same Type 1 to Type 2 32A Delphi charging cable and the gasket is brilliant white and tightly seated around the bottom, with no warping. That cable looks like it's seen some neglect, maybe get a new one in the off chance it allows water ingress?

We use ours in the pouring down rain and it never lets any water, even into the deepest part of the connector.

Maybe get a new or better condition cable?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Having removed the gasket on my Type 1 connector, I wondered about how much water ingress there might be - for vertical rain I see no problem, the gasket is probably only needed if the car is being cleaned with a high pressure hose while it is being charged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts