Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new eGolf will arrive 1st Sept and I'm finding it difficult to find a company who can quote and then hopefully install a home charger for me. This may seem a stupid question but do you have to have a smart meter before you can install a home charger. I would appreciate any recommendations... I'm based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire. Thx in advance.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My new eGolf will arrive 1st Sept and I'm finding it difficult to find a company who can quote and then hopefully install a home charger for me. This may seem a stupid question but do you have to have a smart meter before you can install a home charger. I would appreciate any recommendations... I'm based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire. Thx in advance.
You could call Smarthomecharge. They should be able to give you all the details you need...

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
You don't need a smart meter to have a charge point, there's no requirement.
What features do you want from a charge point? Also what do you want from a tariff? Do you have an external meter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need a smart meter to have a charge point, there's no requirement.
What features do you want from a charge point? Also what do you want from a tariff? Do you have an external meter?
I think I know the charger I want (Ohme) as it works very well with Octopus Agile, which I will be switched to as soon as I get my smart meter installed. We do have an external meter but it's 32yrs old. Why do you ask that? Thx

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
I think I know the charger I want (Ohme) as it works very well with Octopus Agile, which I will be switched to as soon as I get my smart meter installed. We do have an external meter but it's 32yrs old. Why do you ask that? Thx
If you’re after an Ohme charger, you could always buy the Commando socket version and pay a local electrician to install and certify a switched commando socket to use with it.

Costs should be similar to what you would pay after a grant anyway, and no long wait.

I think you can still get the units from Octopus for £199?

I use one with my e-Golf, works perfectly even as a dumb charger with me using the car to set charge periods etc.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
External meters generally make the install quicker, easier and cheaper. As you've already decided on a tariff and a charge point you only have two things left to decide between:
  1. A fixed installation with a potential OLEV grant - Ohme can manage this install for you via recommended installers in your area.
  2. The route suggested by @Tooks above of the discounted unit via Octopus and a Commando type plug. Most decent Sparkys can do this, it's not an EV specific thing.
Make sure that you take advice on Earthing the units correctly.

Have you contacted your DNO to check that you have capacity on your incoming line and fuse?

If you are with one of the big 6 electricity suppliers get them to change your meter before switching, it should work out quicker.

If Ohme are booked up too far ahead option 2 sounds the quickest as most decent Sparkys can do the work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd agree with the look at the commando option -> local electrician who is OLEV grant approved is fully booked on EV charge installs, however another local NICEIC electrician who was NOT OLEV installed, could install a commando with earth protection to the OMHE spec in a week.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd agree with the look at the commando option -> local electrician who is OLEV grant approved is fully booked on EV charge installs, however another local NICEIC electrician who was NOT OLEV installed, could install a commando with earth protection to the OMHE spec in a week.
Oh and yes, check you have fuse capacity as @dk6780 says. That will take LONGER than any charger install to rectify typically -> the local authority here (UK power networks) took 3 weeks to upgrade us to 100A.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Should add you are eligable for the cheap OHME pricing if you are on Octopus already awaiting a smart meter, but NOT if you are on another provider (I got mine before the smart meter/agile). If you have not already started the transfer (with a referrral from an existing member) I woudl reccomend you do so asap. use the message facility if you want a referral from me, or just look for others on forum for similar as it gives a £50 off immediately for both of us.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,684 Posts
Give Artisan Electrics in Cambridge a call they are fully up to speed and keen EV installer.

·
Premium Member
11,062 Posts
The OHME unit is OK, but very ugly. I think the agnostic ev.energy solution is better, just a shame they only support the Rolec smart charging point at present. The Rolec does look better (anything would) but the cable management still isn't great. Rolec do use a number of local installers so you may get a quicker, neater solution that way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes 2nd Artisan electrics Cambridge. Some good videos online. Ideally should have mains fuse changed to 100A which only your DNO can do. Usually free. Also your meter tails in and out should be 25mm. Electrician will do those to main fusebox but electricity supplier do those to meter.
SHC did mine. Could wait until Sept for quote as did mine 2 weeks from quote. Use public and granny chargers until then?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts