Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an unusual charging problem. My wife has a Zoe R110 QE40.

Our ideal charging routine is to use the ChargePlaceScotland-managed public charging unit located at Larbert Railway Station near Falkirk in Central Scotland. This is 22 kw-capable Chargemaster Type 2 unit and the tariff is free. We also have a Standard 7 kw unit at our home, which of course we have to pay for.

For the first few months after we got the car, in March 2019, this public charger worked fine, but about two months ago it stopped working with our Zoe. When you connect either of the two charging points on the unit to the Zoe, the Zoe displays a message “check charging post” and does not charge. However, the Zoe charges fine at every other public charging point, with the same Type 2 cable, including at our home charger.

I have also tried another Type 2 cable at the same problem public charging point and the same error message occurs with the other cable. The problem public charging unit works fine with every other car, including my Hyundai Ioniq Electric.

So, it’s only the combination of this charging unit and our Zoe that gives the problem. Obviously ChargePlaceScotland blame the car, because they know the unit works with every other car. We spoke to our dealer, Arnold Clark - obviously they blame the charging point because the car charges every where else. They offered do run a diagnostic test, at a cost to us.

As far as I can see, the problem must lie with the Zoe. What we really need (which is impossible to arrange) is to have a Renault charging technician and a Chargemaster technician present together at the charging point and argue it out.

We cannot see a way forward on this unless someone has got any ideas.

Hopefully someone on the forum can help.

Thanks.

Douglas

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
184 Posts
The Zoe is super picky when it comes to charging. While most cars will happily charge, if the earth connection isn't completely perfect a Zoe will throw up all sorts of error messages and refuse to take any charge. It can even be conditions as simple as how damp the ground is on a certain day that decides if the conditions are acceptable or not.

If we can get another Zoe owner to go up there and try plugging in, it will give you a good idea of if you need to be concerned about the car, or if it is just usual Zoe behaviour. Personally I don't think there will be anything wrong with your car, as inconvenient as that fact may be to you.

·
evezy referral code d6540
1,337 Posts
Obviously ChargePlaceScotland blame the car, because they know the unit works with every other car.
Yes, but every other Zoe? Follow @Koda advice and then if another Zoe can’t charge either, you can get back in touch with ChargePlaceScotland and ask them to check the earth. Explain that the Zoe is one of the few cars that can accept 22kW so the post being 3 phase is pointless if it can’t charge Zoes.

No comments on Zap-Map about this issue. Why not leave a comment there and see if anyone else has had the same problem.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have this problem with the PodPoint at RSPB Minsmere and it's happened with both of my Zoes (22 & 40). It works fine with all the other points I've tried including other PPs. As others have said I suspect it's something to do with the earthing, not much you can do about it I'm afraid. I've been in touch with PP about it and they said they would check it out but 2 years later it's still the same! I don't think there's anything wrong with the car, I wouldn't spend money on testing it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have similar problems on CPS charge points. My Zoe doesnt connect first time on the charge point in Tobermory Car Park and used to do it on the charge point at Craignure Ferry Terminal but when they did the ground work for a new charging point alongside the old one, the problem went away.

I recently had a nightmare journey down to Peebles to get my car serviced. The charge point at the council offices wouldnt give me a charge at all and neither would the charge point at Hermiston Park and Ride on the way back up to Sterling.

I have also had problems with the charge points at Crainlarich and Larkhall with disconnects during charging and the dash flashing red and telling me the connector need checking (this is down to the Type 2 connector on the charge point not making a good connection and needing replacing.

I suggest that you speak to CPS and ask them for their email address so you can submit a complaint so that the charge points can be repaired.

Dont bother complaining to Transport Scotland because they dont even have the courtesey to reply to you.

·
1,337 Posts
Hopefully the new Zoe ZE50 won’t be quite as fussy as far as a good earth is concerned.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
This can be how trouble can start though. It's picky with the one post and then it's suddenly more of them.

I'd try a different 22kw post with your cable and a tethered 43kw and see what happens. If they're fine then it's likely the specific post. You need to find someone else without a zoe that can do 3 phase charging. I think some of the i3s can and the B250s. If they don't have problems then it's just the Zoe being too fussy as usual.

·
1,337 Posts
I fixed one with 40 litres of MiracleGro solution around the earth rod. The weeds are probably doing well now.
That could possibly work! You should patent that idea ;)

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,219 Posts
There is a very easy diagnostic to to exclude earth as the problem. Does the charger do it's "Cloink", then after a few seconds stops? If that is the case, earth issue is a good candidate. if it'doesn't get to that, it cannot be earth and tinkering (tinkling? ;), I see what you did there) won't work.

CanZE (SSP) displays meastured earth resistance in the Technical -> Charging screen.

·
Registered
450 Posts
There is a very easy diagnostic to to exclude earth as the problem. Does the charger do it's "Cloink", then after a few seconds stops? If that is the case, earth issue is a good candidate. if it'doesn't get to that, it cannot be earth and tinkering (tinkling? ;), I see what you did there) won't work.

CanZE (SSP) displays meastured earth resistance in the Technical -> Charging screen.
o
I am always guided by CanZE. The poor earth solution was not my portable earth rods (8 now), which seemed to make matters worse, when connected to the car body, but the liquid type solution.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My 2017 Q90 had the same problem with a 22kw free Charger in Doncaster over a year ago in the summer and the ground was dry.
Tried again last week and it worked fine this time the ground was soaked and it had been raining all day. :)

There are 3 posts ( Listed Below ) that i know will not work with my Zoe and other Zoe owners have have the same problem :

22kw Post : Travelodge 10 Eboracum Way, York ' YO31 7RE
7kw Post : Cross Lane Hospital , 71 Cross Lane, Scarborough ,YO12 6DN
43Kw Rapid :York Designer Outlet - North Car Park Fulford, York , YO19 4TA

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is a charging post near me that has never worked with my car, but seems to work with hybrids and Teslas. Every other post in the area works for me, so I just go there instead.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
409 Posts
A question for @yoh-there, does the car continually monitor resistance, ie can it fail 5 minutes into a charge due to earth resistance ?
I was the only car charging on a unit and had been charging for 30 minutes when a Tesla M3 connected on CCS and I got a BCI intermittently , but then came on fully. Even connecting to the adjacent 15kW AC charger did not work, but a rain dance later it was OK on the 15 kW AC. Didn't try the 43 kW again. My car is R ie 22kW max charge.
This was in Stirling Castle View Park and Ride, 290 miles into a 410 mile journey.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,219 Posts
I am reasonably sure it does not, however, it might measure a "runaway" voltage between PE and N while charging.

More details here. Other posts around that date may be informative. https://canze.fisch.lu/charger-startup-sequence-the-measurements/

You might want to report back here what CanZE reported as Earth resistance.

I guess it's time to sprinkle some road salt there ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I am reasonably sure it does not, however, it might measure a "runaway" voltage between PE and N while charging.

More details here. Other posts around that date may be informative. https://canze.fisch.lu/charger-startup-sequence-the-measurements/

You might want to report back here what CanZE reported as Earth resistance.

I guess it's time to sprinkle some road salt there ;)
My treatment dropped the resistance from just over 200 ohms to just under 100 ohms, but it is gradually creeping back up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am having trouble here with my Zoe in Ireland also. it is bad enough having so few chargers, but also the worry of ZOe not liking the ones that are free. I understand renault being cautious, but it is just another layer of issues with EV cars, that is never spoke about in the show room. if the charger is old, it could be earthing problems, or it could be possibly the charging cable. roll on Hydrogen...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a similar problem with the 22kw charger in Erskine, BCI error when my car has less than 30miles of charge, anything above this and it is fine, still can't figure out what the problem is, when the charger starts makes a clunking noise then BCI error appears, if I go home and cahrge for 30mins or so I go back up and test and it will work no problem, anyone got any solution to this, I have a 2014 Q zoe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts