Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,219 Posts
There are many possible reasons. With CanZE (SSP) you can at least see the earth resistance, a relatively common issue for what you describe; earth can only measured after the clunk. If that turns out to be the issuem there is not much you can do, well, except what was mention up-thread.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
409 Posts
Unfortunately I can now give the earth resistance of a charger that refuses to charge my Zoe but is charging a Niro hybrid at Gretna Green M1 services. It is 233 Ohms.
Will try the next charger......... hoping
it is earth resistance.....

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
409 Posts
Now at Todhills South and charging .... phew
Earth resistance ( Canze ..thank you yoh- there etc) is 15 Ohms

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,219 Posts
Thank you for reporting. 223 ohms is simply unsafe (others might argue otherwise). I can't remember the exact numbers, I think max 100 for older models, 150 after a certain firmware drop.

Whatever the argument, THIS is the reason ZOE refuses to charge on this chargepoint (and while other cars might accept anyway). Solution is basically not "user doable", apart from the salt & water. The operator needs to check the offending ones.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thank you for reporting. 223 ohms is simply unsafe (others might argue otherwise). I can't remember the exact numbers, I think max 100 for older models, 150 after a certain firmware drop.

Whatever the argument, THIS is the reason ZOE refuses to charge on this chargepoint (and while other cars might accept anyway). Solution is basically not "user doable", apart from the salt & water. The operator needs to check the offending ones.
The operators don't care, as far as I can tell. I fertilized a local chargepoint yesterday with dry fertilizer but despite heavy rain the resistance only dropped 10%. However I managed to get it to charge with my portable earth system for the first time ever, by inter-connecting the chassis of the charge point with its supply 'box'. The ground resistance wen't from 227 to 2 ohms. I forgot to check what happened if I connected the earth wire to the car instead of the charge point. Don't try this at home..+

·
Registered
450 Posts
The operators don't care, as far as I can tell. I fertilized a local chargepoint yesterday with dry fertilizer but despite heavy rain the resistance only dropped 10%. However I managed to get it to charge with my portable earth system for the first time ever, by inter-connecting the chassis of the charge point with its supply 'box'. The ground resistance wen't from 227 to 2 ohms. I forgot to check what happened if I connected the earth wire to the car instead of the charge point. Don't try this at home..+

·
Registered
450 Posts
The operators don't care, as far as I can tell. I fertilized a local chargepoint yesterday with dry fertilizer but despite heavy rain the resistance only dropped 10%. However I managed to get it to charge with my portable earth system for the first time ever, by inter-connecting the chassis of the charge point with its supply 'box'. The ground resistance wen't from 227 to 2 ohms. I forgot to check what happened if I connected the earth wire to the car instead of the charge point. Don't try this at home.. 20191027_095106.jpg 20191027_094956.jpg
20191027_095106.jpg
20191027_094956.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Now at Todhills South and charging .... phew
Earth resistance ( Canze ..thank you yoh- there etc) is 15 Ohms
With my Q90 I find the Electric Highway at Gretna is usually unusable about 75% of the time. When it has worked for me it is usually in heavy rain. Last year I even charged up during a massive lightning storm with heavy rain. It worked first time.

As an aside my local Charplace Scotland/Polar made charger gives me BCI when my SOC is less than 20% (battery temp 20c plus). I charge at a 22kw post past 30%, go to the rapid and it works fine with a resistance of 20 ohms. It has done this consistently. Can charge my Peugeot Ion from the tortoise no problem on the rapid, so it must be the charger not wanting to give me high kw AC.

·
Registered
106 Posts
OK - so you're essentially re-earthing that charging point via another (unrelated) cabinet, which hopefully has a better earth? So you could just as easily have clipped to the street light, which would have its own earthing system?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts