Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay hopefully not too long a story, car was booked in today and due to be collected by dealership this morning.
Chap arrives at my office and I go out to the car with him and to see what I had been left with as a courtesy car (car was booked in for the week). I have a 2012 Astra GTC for the next few days. Hand over my key to the driver, let him know the main battery has been used but plenty of petrol in the tank and after a bit of chit chat I go back into the office.

30 to 45 minutes later I get a call from the driver, he can't get the car started, he has called the garage and been told that the 12v battery must be flat. I go out to the car and basically the car is stuck in a loop of 'Initialising', then normal display, then switches off and starts the cycle again. I tried various things including trying to switch it off, locking the doors but I can see the display still cycling. The driver then calls the dealership who advise that they can't recover it but as I have 1st year cover a call is made to Vauxhall recovery who arrange a breakdown rescue. I had to go back into the office then but could see the AA arrive and the tailgate open. About 15 minutes later I get a call from the driver to say that the AA said the 12v battery was fine and whatever else had been done the car was now running and on its way under its own power to the garage.

Thinking about it tonight I am wondering if the driver has pressed the 'Power' button too long and set off some kind of diagnostic action, I seem to recall reading online about a 5 second press doing something. Anyone any suggestion?

I think I will need to go and collect the car once it is ready as opposed to having them deliver it so I can get to the bottom of this, is it s problem with the car or user error?

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you press and hold the blue button (without foot on brake) it brings on all Electrics but not the engine. I think Its like turning the key 2 clicks in the old days to turn ignition cct on but not start the engine. Doesnt quite sound the same but you could try it cause it is legit

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I heard this last week from someone on Twitter. They are now losing faith in the Ampera and switching to an Outlander...

Capture.PNG

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
If you press and hold the blue button (without foot on brake) it brings on all Electrics but not the engine. I think Its like turning the key 2 clicks in the old days to turn ignition cct on but not start the engine. Doesnt quite sound the same but you could try it cause it is legit
That's useful to know if you want to, say, just put the windows down. But then again, does it even matter if you 'start' the car? It's not like it's having to fire an ICE up.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hmmm my money's on something the Vauxhall driver did, like pressing buttons too quickly or multiple times or something, since it's otherwise rather a coincidence that it happens one of the only times YOU aren't driving it :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That problem Jan Webb had sounds exactly like what happened to mine once. It recovered with multiple attempts over 1/2 hour. The software updates to improve the 12v system management fixed it and all the other s/w glitches. Rock solid for 18 months now. Norman Bosher (Ampera mechanic/engineer at Wimbledon Go Vauxhall) rocks.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well still no car back yet. One of the things, driver's door lock had the wrong part supplied and the replacement instructions, online or wherever, are wrong for this lock but the other three lock replacement instructions are fine.
Some part of the work also required the replacement of an anti-tamper seal, not supplied, and the hope to have that tomorrow. Workshop foreman is of the opinion that is was 'User error' but once I get a chance to chat with the Ampera technician I will get it confirmed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts