Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im struggling with one problem with my golf GTE, 2015 191kkm.
So, short story long, im charging the car with home charger, pluged into 230V, but the car is charging for like 15-30mins, randomly, for about 3-7km range and than just stops. The lights on the charger turn red on the icon of car (the back of the car turns red, also the icon with charger 230V part).
I charged the car several times and reached the range of mighty 50km, but had to plug it out and in like 7 times per 30 min...
So there is 2 questions from me, if someone had same/simillar problem as i do, what might be the source of the problem (charger, plug-in sytem or car charging entrance?) and is the short charing, as i had to do to charge it, kind of unhealty for the car, system or battery?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,806 Posts
Does your wall plug get hot?

Can you get a picture of the "brick"?

Have you charged on a dedicated EV charger suitable for the gte?

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I mean, i didn't even checked it once if it was heaten up, but i guess not, here u go with pictures, maybe it will help

Attachments

·
Registered
3,456 Posts

The the very approach that I was going to suggest !.
That looks very much like the original charger that came with the early models.
I had the very same unit on my July 2015 X Demo.
I used the “Granny” unit almost every night for the first 7 months of ownership, until I got a wall box fitted.
This is the best option long term I think, just saying.
I retired the “Granny” to the garage wall and only used it when going to a destination that did not have a fast post, but did have a three pin plug.
I would suspect it’s the “Granny” unit, but my advise would be to try charging on a public post first.
This will eliminate any problems with the car.
Then either try plugging the “Granny” unit into another wall outlet in your house or try plugging in at a friends house.
If you get a good result, you have almost certainty narrowed it down to the “ Granny” unit.
There have been a number of members who have replaced their units due to failure.
Process of elimination I think is the order of the day.
Good luck !.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,806 Posts
The only times that I have gotten red blinking light on this type of "brick", it was due to overheating plug. Inspect it closely, look for burn marks or heat damage. Check your wall socket too.

Follow what @Carty suggested above: process of elimination.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Dedicated wall box is a much better long term solution for both speed of charging and will help reduce the high demand on your house sockets.
Your socket outlets where never designed to be carrying that type of load on a regular basis really.
The pure fact that the plug gets really really hot, must tell you something ?.
When the charger is been used to charge the HV battery from empty to full, check the heat being omitted at the back of the three pin plug about 30 mins before the charge is about to finish.
Be careful, It should be warm, but not hot.
If it is getting that hot that you can not hold it in your hand ( be careful ) after it has just been unplugged from the outlet, that is not right and more investigation is needed into the cause of that excessive heat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

hello, i dont think so if it was heaten up once (i might have not noticed also), here you go with photos of my charger, unluckily, idk if its stock charger becouse i just bought the car like 1 week ago.
The the very approach that I was going to suggest !.
That looks very much like the original charger that came with the early models.
I had the very same unit on my July 2015 X Demo.
I used the “Granny” unit almost every night for the first 7 months of ownership, until I got a wall box fitted.
This is the best option long term I think, just saying.
I retired the “Granny” to the garage wall and only used it when going to a destination that did not have a fast post, but did have a three pin plug.
I would suspect it’s the “Granny” unit, but my advise would be to try charging on a public post first.
This will eliminate any problems with the car.
Then either try plugging the “Granny” unit into another wall outlet in your house or try plugging in at a friends house.
If you get a good result, you have almost certainty narrowed it down to the “ Granny” unit.
There have been a number of members who have replaced their units due to failure.
Process of elimination I think is the order of the day.
Good luck !.
Ok, thats something that i will do for sure! Thanks for advices, will give sign if the problem is solved or not!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so i was in a GreenWay charger in the city mall, so the car was charging for like 50 minutes to full batery (from like 60% to 80%) and i think it worked out, but i was in the car with the ignition on (the engine was off, but got ignition for air conditioning, and im wondering if it matters that ignition was on or off?) Besides that, i think it works so the problem propably is on the side of granny charger or my home garage 230 port.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,806 Posts
It looks like the car is charging fine from your last post.

Also, my car has the exact same "brick" as you do, it is the standard one for MY15. There is a newer version that came out with the facelift GTE in 2017 (I think).

Overheating plug, doesn't need to be very hot. What generally happens is the pins get hot, and then the heat spreads throughout the plug.

Whenever I am charging in a untested place using unknown wall socked, I follow a simple procedure:
  • plug in, make sure it starts charging;
  • every 15-20 min test for heat on the outside of the plug. Just touching it should be enough. If it has any signs of heat, consider that some heat is expected but very low.
  • If I can feel it hot to the touch on the plastic, that is immediate stop;
  • use the buttons on the front of the brick and reduce the current, let say from 10A to 8A to 6A, etc;
  • give it some time to cooldown and plug it in again;
  • repeat from the top;

Reactions: lemonxshot

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Besides that, i think it works so the problem propably is on the side of granny charger or my home garage 230 port.
So the next stage is either to take the car to somewhere else where you can charge from your "Granny" lead or borrow one from someone else and see how it works with your car.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
So the next stage is either to take the car to somewhere else where you can charge from your "Granny" lead or borrow one from someone else and see how it works with your car.
Good sound advice, I suggested this course of action in above post number 4.
If my gut reaction is correct, I strongly suspect the original "Granny" charger is at fault here.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I suggested this course of action in above post number 4.
:whistle:

I knew that I must have read it somewhere .....;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem, started charging but stopped after an hour. Asked the local dealership if they had an idea how to fix it. The granny was going into an off state because of the high temperature. (Did not feel warm at all) Had to set the maximum charge to 10A in the car.
Now i can charge the whole night without problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Following on the trend of this discussion. I have a 2015 Golf GTE and have recently suffered a complete failure of the 'mains charging system' - the original brick. I had plugged it in at a regular 13 amp socket that I have used for recharging successfully for the last 4+ years. When plugged in there were '3 miles on the battery' the plug-in and checking process went through its normal routine of red/orange/green indicator lights and the green light came on in the charging socket on the car. Returning 4 hrs later the car had charged to 6 miles but there were no indicator lights showing anywhere on the charger or the car socket. Tried turning the domestic socket on and off - not a dicky bird! Cable released normally from socket at front of car. Drove home, charging whilst going downhill was successful as was using the 'charge battery' setting. Following day tried several different 13 amp fuses and socket outlets, all of which had worked with other devices, no sign of life from the charger (I was used to hearing a dull 'mechanical' click when first switching the power on). Seems to me that the 13 amp plug fused onto the cable has for some reason failed - would like to find a solution to avoid shelling out the £800 quoted by VW for a replacement brick.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,907 Posts
Following on the trend of this discussion. I have a 2015 Golf GTE and have recently suffered a complete failure of the 'mains charging system' - the original brick. I had plugged it in at a regular 13 amp socket that I have used for recharging successfully for the last 4+ years. When plugged in there were '3 miles on the battery' the plug-in and checking process went through its normal routine of red/orange/green indicator lights and the green light came on in the charging socket on the car. Returning 4 hrs later the car had charged to 6 miles but there were no indicator lights showing anywhere on the charger or the car socket. Tried turning the domestic socket on and off - not a dicky bird! Cable released normally from socket at front of car. Drove home, charging whilst going downhill was successful as was using the 'charge battery' setting. Following day tried several different 13 amp fuses and socket outlets, all of which had worked with other devices, no sign of life from the charger (I was used to hearing a dull 'mechanical' click when first switching the power on). Seems to me that the 13 amp plug fused onto the cable has for some reason failed - would like to find a solution to avoid shelling out the £800 quoted by VW for a replacement brick.~
Definitely do not pay £800 to VW..

Either get a 'proper' dedicated charge point fitted (~£450 after grant), or buy a different brand of 3 pin EVSE (type 2) for <£200.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Did you try resetting the charger?
Hold both the increase and decrease buttons while plugging it in and wait about 10 seconds.
Failing that Screwfix sell these portable EVSEs for £130. Any one will do, no need to specifically order the overpriced VW one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Tom, I will try the reset tomorrow and then it may well be the Screwfix solution.
Thanks also PHProxy - rewiring of house is scheduled for next year and will include dedicated charging point. I would still need a 3-pin EVSE for when visiting understanding relatives.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Thanks Tom, I will try the reset tomorrow and then it may well be the Screwfix solution.
Thanks also PHProxy - rewiring of house is scheduled for next year and will include dedicated charging point. I would still need a 3-pin EVSE for when visiting understanding relatives.
This is a much better long term solution, have a wall box fitted ASAP then retire the “Granny” charger and only use as you describe.
This is the very same route that I went down.
Don’t forget to get a 32Amp wall box to add in a bit of future proofing.
You just have to decide between tethered or untethered unit.
I opted for the tethered unit to save dragging out the type 2 cable from the boot all the time or leaving it plugged into the wall box and have no cable when you get to your destination !.
Okay in a PHEV, but it can be a real bummer if you have a BEV !.
It’s a personal choice thing really, some like tethered some not.
It’s a bit like Marmite !.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tom - tried the reset this morning without success so maybe it is off to Screwfix after a bit more digging around! Carty - thanks for the tips about when we get round to rewiring the house.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts