Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Driven home today and plugged the Leaf (30, 2017) into the Pod Point charger and I hear the charger engage, then it disengages, and one flashing light starts flashing in the car (apparently that means the 12v is topping up) but the charge never starts and I don't' seem to be able to get it to start charging at all!

Starting to panic a bit!

The Nissan Leaf app has detected that a cable is plugged in, but pressing start charge just sends back an unable to charge notification, check if the car isn't turned on (It isn't) the handbrake is down (it is) and it's in park (it is).

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,515 Posts
What colour light have you got on the PodPoint? Which of the lights is flashing on the dash? When viewed from the outside the right-hand one is the 12v, each flashing in turn means that a timer is set and preventing charging. Have you tried the timer override button?
If you unplug the car will it start?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What colour light have you got on the PodPoint? Which of the lights is flashing on the dash? When viewed from the outside the right-hand one is the 12v, each flashing in turn means that a timer is set and preventing charging. Have you tried the timer override button?
If you unplug the car will it start?
Hi,

Far right as you face the car from the front, it's definitely the 12v flash from looking in the manual. No timer is set. The car drives fine.

Pod point colour of the light is blue with a purple flash normally, when I plug it in - the light goes red.

I've plugged it into the granny cable now and it's charging - Very annoying if my pod point has broken after less than 30 days!

Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,515 Posts
Pod point colour of the light is blue with a purple flash normally, when I plug it in - the light goes red
A red flashing light on the PodPoint indicates a fault - it flashes a series of pulses which mean something but I can't remember what!
Is the unit tethered? If not, try the car and cable on a public charger. If it is, call PodPoint.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help, its untethered, I have two type 2 to type 1 cables and both won't work with the charger so I'm confident its a fault with the pod point :(

Currently plugged in and charging with the granny cable, glad its not the car!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,911 Posts
I presume that you have already tried the old old reboot first cure. My PodPoint once also went red light but tripping the CU supply off and back on re-set whatever had gone wrong in the box.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,515 Posts
It's PodPoint's problem if you claimed the OLEV grant when getting it fitted. If so, after trying the reset suggested above give them a call and tell them how many pulses the light gives.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's PodPoint's problem if you claimed the OLEV grant when getting it fitted. If so, after trying the reset suggested above give them a call and tell them how many pulses the light gives.
We have had a faulty Podpoint in the past, assuming it is connected to wifi they can remotely diagnose it. Sometimes it just needs a firmware update which they can do without coming out (again, assuming it is on wifi). Just give them a call or email, they are very helpful.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
362 Posts
once my podpoint went faulty (or rather the connector did) as the metal bit which does the proximity detection got bent enough to mean it didn't engage and thus the podpoint didn't realise that it was actually in the car. Odd thing was this happened on my type2 to type1 cable the same day at Chester zoo and I thought my car was broken. luckily I found a rapid close by to get me home but then the connector at home was broke too which further made me think it was the car. I had a friend with a leaf and he came round to test my pod point and he couldn't get it working either so then I thought well it's not the car then. Then I used my leaf 10amp evse granny brick which has a different plastic switch for the proximity detection and my car was charging again. At that point I breathed a sigh of relief and looked again at the type 1 ends on both my pod point and the t2-t1 cable I have for when I'm out and about. Turns out they had both been bent the same way by just enough at the same time, using some pliers I very carefully bent it back just enough and hey presto both the pod point and the t2-t1 cable worked again. The issue is that when they are dropped the weight of the connector means that the end hits the floor first and this can do just enough bending to the metal to make it difficult to connect the type 1 connector on the leaf. To be clear this is the thick black piece of metal running on the top side of the type one connector with the hook on the end.

This may not be your issue but check with you evse granny brick to rule out your car being the issue

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your help, all!

After switching it off and on at the mains a few times and it still not working - Pod Point have done a remote update to the charger (Completely non-specific on what was wrong) and it seems to be working again.

Although my Ohme smart cable appears to be completely non-functional now, no idea if that was related!

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
once my podpoint went faulty (or rather the connector did) as the metal bit which does the proximity detection got bent enough to mean it didn't engage and thus the podpoint didn't realise that it was actually in the car. Odd thing was this happened on my type2 to type1 cable the same day at Chester zoo and I thought my car was broken. luckily I found a rapid close by to get me home but then the connector at home was broke too which further made me think it was the car. I had a friend with a leaf and he came round to test my pod point and he couldn't get it working either so then I thought well it's not the car then. Then I used my leaf 10amp evse granny brick which has a different plastic switch for the proximity detection and my car was charging again. At that point I breathed a sigh of relief and looked again at the type 1 ends on both my pod point and the t2-t1 cable I have for when I'm out and about. Turns out they had both been bent the same way by just enough at the same time, using some pliers I very carefully bent it back just enough and hey presto both the pod point and the t2-t1 cable worked again. The issue is that when they are dropped the weight of the connector means that the end hits the floor first and this can do just enough bending to the metal to make it difficult to connect the type 1 connector on the leaf. To be clear this is the thick black piece of metal running on the top side of the type one connector with the hook on the end.

This may not be your issue but check with you evse granny brick to rule out your car being the issue
Why are you dropping your cables? 🥴

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,515 Posts
Although my Ohme smart cable appears to be completely non-functional now, no idea if that was related!
What do you mean by non-functional? It should default to being a dumb lead so if it's not working like that you need to check the connectors and then contact Ohme.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
362 Posts
Why are you dropping your cables? 🥴
I don't think it was me, but sometimes when it might have been, I think it probably happened when the cable didn't latch properly in the black plastic connector and fell out as it was put in. As for the T1 to T2 I've no idea how that one got bent, i hardly ever have to use it, it could have been that its been like that since I got the car since I always used either a Chademo when out and about or the Nissan granny brick at friends houses or the podpoint tethered at home. Having a gen1 leaf with only a 3.6kw/h charger is quite the disincentive to bother at supermarkets where you might be there for only a few minutes.

So yes folks, don't drop your cables, it's obviously bloody careless.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I have had problems with the sealing ring in the Type 1 connector getting displaced (see below) stopping the connector seating properly when inserted into my Leaf. After many attempts at reseating the sealing ring, I have finally just removed it.
Teal Binoculars Revolver Mask Gadget

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Very interesting, I will have a look tomorrow as I'm having the exact same problem again with the pod point stopping the charge - charging on the granny again 🙃

Wel, both cables seem fine, but this morning after restarting the pod point again its working but only with the normal cable, the Ohme cable seems like it might be the problem at this stage as it no longer works in a public type 2 either.

On support with both of them at the moment, Ohme support is quick, pod point takes a good 3 days each time which is frustrating.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Solved this with Pod Point I think, they've said it's high mains voltage causing the faults and they're coming out to fix it, on the Granny until then!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,515 Posts
I'd be interested to know how PodPoint will change too high a voltage.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
My PodPoint 'charger' which was installed in late 2014 has been OK with supply voltages often over 250v - UK statutory maximum is 253v (230v + 10%), previously 254v (240v + 6%), but this can be exceeded at times of low demand on the distribution system.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, they fixed it today (I think!) They were here for about an hour, replaced what appeared to be the entirety of the innerds, no real explanation of what the issue was, but it did a full charge earlier, which is great.

The guy stuck around for a good 10 minutes while it was charging to make sure it didn't fail again, which is good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts