Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys wonder if anybody can help or have you had the same problem as me.
my 2020 kona will charge no problem on any ac charger however when I plug into a DC fast charger I keep getting an error message saying it can’t communicate with the car because of a user setting and it quotes a number which I can’t remember at this time what it was now.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can you give us some more information, please:
  • which company is the charger from
  • do you know the speed/power of the charger
  • location of the charger
  • possibly some additional info about your driving prior to charging like was it cold, did you drive long before you charged, how full was your battery when you tried to charge.

There might be clues hidden in that information.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Hi guys wonder if anybody can help or have you had the same problem as me.
my 2020 kona will charge no problem on any ac charger however when I plug into a DC fast charger I keep getting an error message saying it can’t communicate with the car because of a user setting and it quotes a number which I can’t remember at this time what it was now.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated.
Next time something like that happens why not snap a quick picture with your phone?

Reactions: KiwiME

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for getting back to me more info for you

The charger was a polar which I have used many times before although they are now known as BP Pulse and it’s a 50 kw I have used this charger many times before with out issue.
The car was cold only drove 3 miles to charger I understand that I would not get a very good charge rate because of that but it should still connect.
The charge limit is set to 80% I had 30%left so no issues there

One other thing I forgot to mention I did have a software update done in December I’m wondering if this might be the problem as it seems after this the issues started Happening but on the forums I haven’t heard of any owners getting the exact problem that I am experiencing I might be wrong you might know better.

I am going to find a different charger in the next few days and I will get back to you with the results of that but thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It could be that the charger had a software glitch. Since you used it before without issues, I would try to call customer service and have them reset the unit remotely.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me more info for you

The charger was a polar which I have used many times before although they are now known as BP Pulse and it’s a 50 kw I have used this charger many times before with out issue.
The car was cold only drove 3 miles to charger I understand that I would not get a very good charge rate because of that but it should still connect.
The charge limit is set to 80% I had 30%left so no issues there

One other thing I forgot to mention I did have a software update done in December I’m wondering if this might be the problem as it seems after this the issues started Happening but on the forums I haven’t heard of any owners getting the exact problem that I am experiencing I might be wrong you might know better.

I am going to find a different charger in the next few days and I will get back to you with the results of that but thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it.
I have used those chargers both before and after the recent software updates and not had a problem. As others have said you need to try an alternative charger to test.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have used those chargers both before and after the recent software updates and not had a problem. As others have said you need to try an alternative charger to test.
Hi guys more on my dc charging problems since my update in December I am still having big problems that seem to be happening more frequently as time goes by and on all different chargers which would seem it’s the fault of the car sometimes this happens at the start of the charging session and sometimes after about 10% have been put into the car and if this happens I have to recommence the charging session and then it’s okay.

The message I get vehicle charging interrupted by user or sever service code 23

Has anyone any idea what this might mean I can’t find anything that refers to this thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
571 Posts
I had my Kona serviced in December as well and there are now two or three new updates available. I'd suggest checking in with the dealer and getting those done.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Never had any problems. Yesterday though it interrupted a 220V charging session after about 30 minutes. It just stopped and told me through blue link that it was interrupted.

I restarted through blue link and never happened again.

The charge point so said the vehicle finished charging at that time. So unsure if the charger or the car stopped.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sometimes dealers mess up with software update. They might skipped some updates (if there are more than 4 to apply in one go) as not all fit on screen of their equipment. UPDATE ALL button may not update all patches as restarts are needed in between. Apparently this was quite common as I've been told.
Mine was one of those :(

If your problems started after service it is probably the best to try a couple of other DC chargers, show the dealer the error codes / screens and ask them to verify/redo all updates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts