Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had Pod Point Solo connected today, but I can't tell if it has been activated. Followed the instructions, search for Pod Point WiFi, connect to, type in IP address, pick WiFi network, press connect and appears to clear the WiFi details???? The Pod Point light is blue, then intermittent red, so is communicating with the network, but when I plug it to the vehicle , the green light goes red after a few seconds.
Any suggestions???

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the light is going red when you plug in your car, the pod-point wants a reset. Turn it off at the breaker for at least 10min (Make sure your car is not connected). This should reset the pod-point, you should also now be able to config the wifi again as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
The green light turns red about 15 seconds ago after I connect to vehicle, ( you can hear the charger going through pre charge checks), it then turns red. I've tried resetting the charger by turning off at isolator switch etc...

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
It does not need WIFI to charge your car, there must be some other issue.
What car are you trying to charge?
Was it not tested immediately after install or did you not have the car then?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vehicle is an LEVC Taxi. I bought the charger directly from Pod Point and had electrician connect it because installation was non standard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I needed WiFi to activate the charger only. Assumed charger was activated because of the blue /red flashing light.

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
No. Mine would not register with their backend, but still charged fine. Support eventually fixed the issue so I could see my charging sessions.

It would be bonkers if it needed Wi-Fi working as it wouldn't charge if you had problems with your Wi-Fi or Internet. Telling your boss "I can't get to work because my Internet failed and my car didn't charge" would not be a career enhancing call ;)

You didn't answer my questions -

What car are you trying to charge?
Was it not tested immediately after install or did you not have the car then?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vehicle is an LEVC Taxi. I bought the charger directly from Pod Point and had electrician connect it because installation was non standard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the charger need to be activated by WiFi to work?
Is the blue /red flashing mean the charger is activated?

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
I did exactly same and got my spark to replace my old Type 1 with a Type 2 PODPoint. As I said, I was not able to connect it to PODPoint for a while, but it still charged fine.

I assume the taxi charges fine on other 7kW posts, so I suspect either the unit is faulty or the electrician did not install it correctly. Does he or she have experienced installing EV charging points?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Electrician seemed good, 32kw mini fuse board, 6mm swa, etc...
I tried different DIP settings, still the same, ie. green light, safety checks etc... then clicks and turns red. I've checked cable connections etc..

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
Maybe give PODPoint support a call on 020 7247 4114 tomorrow? Once your unit is registered to your account they might be able to pull diagnostics from it. I assume you have setup an account at link below?

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
I tried to, but charger pcl no. not recognised,!
Thanks
Yes, that is what I got and (as I explained) I had to contact them. I did by email and it took ages to add, so probably better to phone tomorrow during support hours.

You will still need to have a login so they can register the unit to your account. I assume you set one up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the help. 👍 👍 👍
Finally sorted and charging.
The DIP settings were not correct.
I contacted Pod Point maintenance today and they gave me the correct settings, (I had to change them again because I have 32amp fuse board and not 40amp as per instructions).
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
Great to hear sorted. How are you finding the electric taxi?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Compared to the TX4 diesel, it's like a Bentley!!! In the diesel it was costing £40 per day diesel, TXE costs approx. £12 per day electric+petrol for range extender. You have to factor in the £60k price tag, but it's a major step in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts