Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get a Garmin 66W DashCam fitted to my 19 plate Premium SE. Not feeling confident enough to play with the electrics myself, I have taken it to Halfords (Bristol, Cribbs Causeway) to supply and 'professionaly' fit.
This is the first fully electric car the fitter has done. When he put his multimeter across the fuses he found all seemed to have a voltage fluctuating between 12+ and 9, changing every 20 seconds or so.
This being the case he said he couldn't wire it in since the Dash cam would trip whenever the voltage fell below 12. He has never seen fluctuating voltages before on non electric cars.
I can't understand this. Surely the 12 volt system is basically the same on all cars. Why is there a problem with the Kona?
I have a battery voltmeter in the cigarette lighter which never goes below 12.5 volts.
I know many forum members have wired in Dash Cams. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
They'll have identified a bit of metal that they think is a ground, but isn't - I had that problem on another car. I fitted mine with a permanent installation kit, doing something like this:
Take it to a different Halfords, maybe? Or if you're not too far away from me (Warwickshire), I can show you how to fit it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. Based on Richard's comment on the effect of faulty earthing I think I will first go back to Halfords and get them to have another go using a clean earth. They weren't obstructive, just nonplussed at the readings they were getting on their multimeter and then nervous of dealing with an electric car. Roll on the day when electric cars are seen as the norm!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Tell them there's absolutely no difference in the 12V system on an EV, a plug-in hybrid, a non-plug-in hybrid, a petrol, a diesel, an LPG car, a Hydrogen fuel cell car... 12V is 12V and they all use a lead acid battery to provide it :) I think the earth I took was from a solid bolt holding the fuse box frame onto the chassis; I just loosened it a bit, slid in the earthing clip and re-tightened it again and all was well. The screws/bolts around the fuse box themselves may not be a good earth and will give weird readings. I had this on my Dad's Kia too; took me 3 hours to figure out that what looked like an earth point wasn't a proper earth!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,120 Posts
I promise you Halfords "professional fitting" will be a teenager that's done some 5 min online learning module.

I watched them fit a new battery and the lad couldn't figure out why the terminal clamps would not tighten, he wrenches the terminal post so hard several time you could see it flexing. He then had to ask a mechanic what was wrong and he immediately advised he needed a collar due to a smaller post diameter.

I wouldn't let them anywhere near my car.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
In case it's useful, here's my installation - apologies for the twisted angle and poor focus but it was tricky to get the mobile in the gap!

Reactions: KJ(kona junkie)

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona, Halfords bike
349 Posts
Is there any specific reason to use that fuse (looks like top right (power outlet)

Top right I think but I'd just like to please confirm before cahnge waht I have and I break something.

This is what I have currently fitted by Halfords, but it seems to be draining the battery.

Looks like a constant supply from smart key control. I presume he did this so that parking mode would work, but as I'm not using the car much I believe that is bad as it will be a drain on the 12v battery and over use the aux battery saver charger.

Or maybe there is some way to have parking mode that won't do that?

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
326 Posts
Park mode on a dash cam will need a permanent ‘live’ which will always have a drain the 12v battery. Ideally they should have advised you about this and really offered to connect via an accessory fuse that is ON with ignition or accessory on and OFF when the ignition is off.

Assuming you find a scratch or something on your car and you want to review the video, you had better hope you discovered the scratch/ding early on otherwise it could be a lot of video to review, assuming it caught the cause/culprit in the first place. Even then, there is no guarantee that it will give you anything you can use to try and catch or apportion blame.

Best to just use the dashcam to record your driving experience and any accident you may be in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Try the fuse on third row / second column. It's always ON spare fuse (from memory - I hope I remember this correctly).
It will support parking mode. Ideally it should be wired to battery protection box that cuts power to dashcams if your 12v battery fall below certain voltage (I have mine set to 12v).

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I believe there are also small batteries available for dash cams that keep the thing running for some time after you park without draining your car battery.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I believe there are also small batteries available for dash cams that keep the thing running for some time after you park without draining your car battery.
Nextbase cameras have an internal battery for the park mode. Admittedly the park mode is a bit crap, but the internal battery is a nice touch.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Unwanted advert popup I expect. Some use an adblocker?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Simply my reaction to the text in the link posted. Looks totally irrelevant to EVs, so I assum it's come from one of the many adverts that the server posts here, trying to look like real posts in an attempt to fool us into reading them. I simply ignore them. Some here may use an adblocker to try & filter them . Happier now? I'm not a troll fwiw, just trying to help. Sometimes I fail, tough.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts