Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get a Garmin 66W DashCam fitted to my 19 plate Premium SE. Not feeling confident enough to play with the electrics myself, I have taken it to Halfords (Bristol, Cribbs Causeway) to supply and 'professionaly' fit.
This is the first fully electric car the fitter has done. When he put his multimeter across the fuses he found all seemed to have a voltage fluctuating between 12+ and 9, changing every 20 seconds or so.
This being the case he said he couldn't wire it in since the Dash cam would trip whenever the voltage fell below 12. He has never seen fluctuating voltages before on non electric cars.
I can't understand this. Surely the 12 volt system is basically the same on all cars. Why is there a problem with the Kona?
I have a battery voltmeter in the cigarette lighter which never goes below 12.5 volts.
I know many forum members have wired in Dash Cams. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I don't think Halfords are sufficiently skilled for this job. Go somewhere else. I paid for a professional installation of a Blackvue from Halfords. All he did was plug it into the diagnostic socket, which now cannot have the cover fitted.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
They'll have identified a bit of metal that they think is a ground, but isn't - I had that problem on another car. I fitted mine with a permanent installation kit, doing something like this:
Take it to a different Halfords, maybe? Or if you're not too far away from me (Warwickshire), I can show you how to fit it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. Based on Richard's comment on the effect of faulty earthing I think I will first go back to Halfords and get them to have another go using a clean earth. They weren't obstructive, just nonplussed at the readings they were getting on their multimeter and then nervous of dealing with an electric car. Roll on the day when electric cars are seen as the norm!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Tell them there's absolutely no difference in the 12V system on an EV, a plug-in hybrid, a non-plug-in hybrid, a petrol, a diesel, an LPG car, a Hydrogen fuel cell car... 12V is 12V and they all use a lead acid battery to provide it :) I think the earth I took was from a solid bolt holding the fuse box frame onto the chassis; I just loosened it a bit, slid in the earthing clip and re-tightened it again and all was well. The screws/bolts around the fuse box themselves may not be a good earth and will give weird readings. I had this on my Dad's Kia too; took me 3 hours to figure out that what looked like an earth point wasn't a proper earth!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
I promise you Halfords "professional fitting" will be a teenager that's done some 5 min online learning module.

I watched them fit a new battery and the lad couldn't figure out why the terminal clamps would not tighten, he wrenches the terminal post so hard several time you could see it flexing. He then had to ask a mechanic what was wrong and he immediately advised he needed a collar due to a smaller post diameter.

I wouldn't let them anywhere near my car.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
In case it's useful, here's my installation - apologies for the twisted angle and poor focus but it was tricky to get the mobile in the gap!

Reactions: KJ(kona junkie)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts