Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sadly had my first bad experience with the Electric Highway since the recent changes.

Rolled into the northbound Taunton Deane services yesterday to find the Ecotricity pump vacant, but when I tried to use the app I got a message telling me the point was already in use and couldn't be used. Restarted app and tried playing with options on pump etc. but to no avail. Screen looked normal, no charge in progress or anything, but I did notice that the wifi icon had a red line through it. Tried calling them, but it was 5.30pm on a Saturday so out of hours...

Luckily I had enough charge to make it home, but could well have been stranded in different circumstances. I'll obviously be letting them know about the situation (as soon as they open again...!) but I've seen something mentioned on here about a fall-back where the pump will give out a free charge if the software fails. Can anyone clarify this? Given there was no way to communicate with the pump i'm not sure how this would work, is it just a matter of plugging it in?

[Edited to add detail about wifi icon]

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,893 Posts
I think the non communicating fall back to free is when the pump loses Internet or wifi. If it thinks someone is charging when they aren't then I don't know what fall back there is.

Clearly there are situations when someone doesn't finish the charge or the charger isn't ending it neatly.

Unless there is a reset button on the pump or an emergency reset on the app I'd assume after 30 minutes from that phantom charge starting the pump should free up. If it isn't then it's yet another avoidable fault.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, that's a detail I forgot to add, the screen did actually have a red line through the wifi icon. (I'll update my post) So i'm guessing it might be the communication error. Apart from that the screen looked as normal e.g. there was nothing to suggest a charge was in progress.

Also, I've been checking the pump on the app since and it's still saying it's constantly in use.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,893 Posts
If you mean northbound then it's showing AC side in use. Maybe it's an AC issue only?

But if it loses the wifi between starting the charge and before it ends and it locks up because of that then again it's another silly mistake.

It's beginning to look like some sites have such ropey networks they should just be pushed onto free until they can be made reliable.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was going to start a new thread for this charger as it caught me out last night - it's in EXACTLY the same state as noted above and still is this morning as I just checked the App.

Unfortunately for me it was a VERY rare trip out of range. I charged successfully at Tiverton in the morning, charged at my friends house in Devon when I arrived, drove home in the evening and enjoyed a flat-bed truck between Taunton & Bridgwater. Thank you once again Ecotricity for my second flat-bed experience due to unreliable chargers. :(

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Also IKEA Wednesbury the other night - App said pump couldn't be contacted, but the pump was showing online. The pump didn't default to free vend. Therefore, completely out of action. Tried to call Ecotricity but I had apparently dared to drive outside of their opening hours, so no juice.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,893 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible to use that API that works with the after market Ecotricity app to generate better uptime data to pass onto Zapmap?

If it only ran a few times a day then it shouldn't add too much stress on the Ecotricity IT hamster.

Did ecotricity ever fix the issue with the chargers not releasing after a session so nobody could charge until 45 minutes from the start of the last charge had elapsed? I wonder if that is what is locking up chargers so they're online but unavailable?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts