Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to charge at M and S Warrington today on the 7KW chargers. I have a BMW 94aH I3. Pod-Point App said charging station was available, when l plugged in and claimed charge, it went straight to ‘out of service’. The charger next door, also Pod-Point l then plugged into, pressed claim charge in app and it would not charge. I came back from the shops and a Jaguar ipace was then charging. Is there an issue with my i3 on Pod-Point public network?

·
882 Posts
Try a few other Pod point posts in other locations before concluding it is your car at fault.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pod Point rapid at Lidl Worsley worked fine (if slowly) on my BMW i3 120 Ah. 33 kW rather 50 which had been reported by other users on Plugshare.

The Pod Point app and user onboarding experience is dire though. All these systems need to be tested with a slightly stressed driver in the pouring rain..!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Thanks, has anyone else had similar issues, Any help greatly appreciated.
I thought that PodPoint roadside 7Kw posts operated exactly like a home 7Kw charge unit when initially plugged in and will immediately deliver electrons. You then receive 15 minutes of free power to give time to access and operate the app and to energise it for a longer period.

Did it do that?

If it did then that would be an indication that the post/car interface was OK and the issue more likely to involve the app/account/back office.

If it didn't immediately start charging - before involving the app - then that would tend to indicate a car/post fault and not the app.

A bit more data is required although I would be very surprised if every i3 owner had this experience or we would have heard about it earlier I'm sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought that PodPoint roadside 7Kw posts operated exactly like a home 7Kw charge unit when initially plugged in and will immediately deliver electrons. You then receive 15 minutes of free power to give time to access and operate the app and to energise it for a longer period.

Did it do that?

If it did then that would be an indication that the post/car interface was OK and the issue more likely to involve the app/account/back office.

If it didn't immediately start charging - before involving the app - then that would tend to indicate a car/post fault and not the app.

A bit more data is required although I would be very surprised if every i3 owner had this experience or we would have heard about it earlier I'm sure.
It did not charge at all

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
It did not charge at all
OK. So either both sockets didn't like the 'handshake' with your car or they were both broken. BTW were you able to check that the Jag I-Pace was actually charging or just plugged in? And did you happen to notice whether the socket housing was showing a green or red light before you plugged in?

Looking at ZapMap today it shows one side ( Lary-Gill) out of action and the last reported charge on that side was 2 weeks ago. The other socket ( Anne-Fred) is showing to be working and available but the last reported successful charge was one month ago. That isn't definitive of course on either side as many people don't add a comment when leaving.

If your car charges OK at other PodPoint street 7Kw chargers then I would suspect that on the day you called then both sockets at M&S were faulty. It's easy to check on a second unit without involving a charge session as they should immediately start to charge for 15 minutes when plugged in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. So either both sockets didn't like the 'handshake' with your car or they were both broken. BTW were you able to check that the Jag I-Pace was actually charging or just plugged in? And did you happen to notice whether the socket housing was showing a green or red light before you plugged in?

Looking at ZapMap today it shows one side ( Lary-Gill) out of action and the last reported charge on that side was 2 weeks ago. The other socket ( Anne-Fred) is showing to be working and available but the last reported successful charge was one month ago. That isn't definitive of course on either side as many people don't add a comment when leaving.

If your car charges OK at other PodPoint street 7Kw chargers then I would suspect that on the day you called then both sockets at M&S were faulty. It's easy to check on a second unit without involving a charge session as they should immediately start to charge for 15 minutes when plugged in.
I had exactly the same issue at a Pod-Point in Tesco Wrexham 2 weeks ago. First charger l went to went out of service when l tried to claim charge and then second 7kw Pod-Point charger at the same site would not claim my charge. Both chargers had been charging other EV’s before l got there.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I had exactly the same issue at a Pod-Point in Tesco Wrexham 2 weeks ago. First charger l went to went out of service when l tried to claim charge and then second 7kw Pod-Point charger at the same site would not claim my charge. Both chargers had been charging other EV’s before l got there.
This is confusing. You say that it went out of service when you tried to claim charge. Does this mean that it was charging OK under the usual free 15 minutes agreement but stopped when you hit the claim button? If so, it could be an issue with your account and payment of the fee.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is confusing. You say that it went out of service when you tried to claim charge. Does this mean that it was charging OK under the usual free 15 minutes agreement but stopped when you hit the claim button? If so, it could be an issue with your account and payment of the fee.
no charge at all, not even the 15 minutes.

·
Registered
402 Posts
no charge at all, not even the 15 minutes.
On an ac post (as described above) it should start charging immediately. No point even trying to claim the charge if it doesn't start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts