Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Problems charging on timer

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Berni 
#1 ·
My Leaf charges normally on all charge points, chademo, granny and my home 16A Rolec chargepoint.

However when the timer is set and I plug into my Rolec charger and the Li-on battery is low, the charger connects with a small thump as normal and then disconnects as normal (because the timer is set), but then it does the same again continuously connecting and disconnecting. What's going on?

I have tried:
A new 12v battery, an alternative cable, resetting everything I can think of.
The Rolec chargepoint has been checked twice by the installer and the control unit has been replaced. They believe the cars onboard charger is faulty (the 12v comms part), but why does it work on other chargers or when the Li-on battery is well charged :(

It works perfectly on the granny charger.

The Nissan dealer has done a cursory check but the car charges correctly on their charger so they believe my home chargepoint is faulty.

I suspect a bad 12v connection, pilot or proximity but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
It works perfectly with the granny charger.

I've tried a commercial public 3.3kw charger via my own type2 to type1 cable and that worked perfectly too.

My next tests will be a home charge point of a different type and another home charge point of the same type (Rolec) to see if it behaves the same way.

Thanks

#4 ·
When a Leaf is plugged on a slow charger you will need to action the timer cancelling button (next to the lock button) so it overwrites the timer.
The criteria behind it is that you can plug the car without starting the charge so if you have an economy 7 meter you can set it up for the cheaper time.

#9 ·
When a Leaf is plugged on a slow charger you will need to action the timer cancelling button (next to the lock button) so it overwrites the timer.
I set my Leaf timer so that it is only active when the car is at its home location. Perhaps if we are talking about the old Leaf it doesn't have that facility. (You meant overrides, presumably :))

#5 ·
Yes I understand this. I do have economy 7. The problem is when the timer selected the charger connects with a small thump as normal and then disconnects as normal (because the timer is set), but then it does the same again continuously connecting and disconnecting.

#6 ·
AH...
That's not the normal behaviour then.
The 12v battery shouldn't be influenced by the power battery so this will be the control sensor to be playing up.
Have you check if there is some dampness in the socket of plug?
As a precaution I would open the plug (don't forget to switch off the power) and dry it to make sure there is no moist around you can use a hair dryer to make sure is dry.
in the car socket you can try (carefully, very carefully and don't use any metal to do this!!!) to push a thin cloth into each contact to detect any water in it.
When you had Nissan looking at it was the battery low?
I would invite you to use my charger but don't think you will be wanting to travel to Scotland just for that :)

#10 ·
Do you get the same issue without the timer selected ? I had a similar but different issue with my Rolec clunking on and off repeatedly. The cp pin on my lead was corroded and it's this signal that tells the contactor to close to start the charge. If it loses this signal, it thinks the cable is not connected properly and the contactor opens (hence the clunking). Nothing wrong with the Rolec, it is doing what it's supposed to do. If your car timer is telling the car to charge / don't charge, you would get this behaviour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.