Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have an ongoing issue with my Leaf (2016 model) not recognising my key fob. It takes some time for the car to unlock (a number of presses on key or handle button), and then the display says the key fob batteries need replacing.

I've tried a number of batteries, and the spare key but with the same result.

Could it be the car not sensing the key properly? Anyone had this issue, or know where the senor is and whether I can check it?

Or is it just a case of taking it back to Nissan?

Cheers

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hello

I have an ongoing issue with my Leaf (2016 model) not recognising my key fob. It takes some time for the car to unlock (a number of presses on key or handle button), and then the display says the key fob batteries need replacing.

I've tried a number of batteries, and the spare key but with the same result.

Could it be the car not sensing the key properly? Anyone had this issue, or know where the senor is and whether I can check it?

Or is it just a case of taking it back to Nissan?

Cheers
I suspect that Nissan use a rolling code for their security, maybe someone on here may know.

If your spare key has the same issue then it has to be the receiver side.

Here is the workshop manual for the Leaf: Use the file "fwd.pdf" for main index:workshop_manual

This will tell you where the sensor is located, maybe stand closer to that location. My 2016 Leaf will sense from at least 50 mtrs in the open air so there's something amiss.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Perhaps worth checking for any external interference sources, is it still as bad if parked elsewhere (like at supermarket)?

·
Registered
385 Posts
This happened to me a few years back with my Prius Plugin. On the seven year service changed batteries in both fobs 'just in case'. All sorts of locking problems until I put the old batteries back. On testing the two new batteries had good 'no load' voltage but no capacity. I suspect they were counterfeit!

I now use The Small Battery Company and not looked back. Small UK company, cheap, next day delivery and reliable.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a similar problem after replacing the key fob battery. The replacement battery was just a poundland version, and despite the measured voltage reading fully charged the fob refused to work with it.

In the end I replaced with a branded duracell battery and it worked perfectly again.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Always use known good branded battery cells for key fobs. Duracell, Varta etc.

Reactions: husoi

·
Registered
867 Posts
I had the same problem - replaced the keyfob battery and had inconsistent performance of the keyless entry and start. Replaced again and solved it. It's clear that you need to buy "fresh" and good quality batteries for the Leaf keys.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had a recurring problem using some of the Home Bargains ones as they lasted a short time before the car warning me the fob battery was low. I ended up getting some slightly larger capacity CR2032 batteries which fit just fine and although this increased the lifespan to about a month, still needed changing far too regularly. My 2002 Nissan Elgrand has keyless entry and ignition and goes through about a battery every 2 years so I knew this wasn't right. Well, I decided to buy a large pack of batteries from Ebay and these ones have been excellent. So good in fact, that after purchasing in October 2019, I am still using the first one 8 months later 👍🏻

1 - 10 of 10 Posts