Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tesla Model S and a Ohme Home Pro charger. I've been on Octopus Go tariff which has worked fine but that has come to an end and I've now initiated a switch over to Octopus Intelligent. I got an email from Octopus with a link to switch over to Intelligent, filled in a few questions on their form which confirmed I was eligible for this tariff and directed me to download their Android app.

Going through the setup on the Android app, I was informed that they need to do a short test charge to confirm all is okay. I fill all the details in, and click the Test Connection button:

Purple Organism Font Violet Electric blue

Doing this I get an error like this:

Purple Font Violet Electric blue Magenta

I tried clicking Retry and refreshing but nothing. Closed the app down and relaunched it, putting in all the details and nothing.

I went into Ohme App and can confirm it is connected to the Tesla as it can read the SOC of the battery. I noticed the tariff in here is still referring to the old Octopus Go, I tried to change this to Intelligent but it is not showing up in the list. I currently have a schedule to charge to 85% by 7.30am.

Has anyone else had this issue? How can I get around this?

· Registered
MG5 LR, Nissan LEAF 24 and various old ICE
11,817 Posts
You need to disable the schedule. Then try again.

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to disable the schedule. Then try again.
Thanks. I just tried that and it didn't work, I then deleted the schedule completely and still didn't work. I still get the same "We were unable to perform that action". I've emailed Octopus for help as well but any other suggestions in the meantime?

· Registered
MG5 LR, Nissan LEAF 24 and various old ICE
11,817 Posts
None, sorry. It looks like Octopus are unable to communicate with your Ohme unit. If you plug it in set to a deferred charge does it connect up properly?

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None, sorry. It looks like Octopus are unable to communicate with your Ohme unit. If you plug it in set to a deferred charge does it connect up properly?
It's been working mostly correctly for a year with Octopus Go. I would have a schedule set to charge to my desired % at some point in the morning (which was 85% at 7.30am), I'd have a price cap of 5p per kWh. I don't use the car much so it would usually decide which 30 min slots to charge during the 4 hour cheap rate of Go.

Give I had all of the above working for about a year, I thought it would be a seamless transition to Octopus Intelligent but alas not.

· Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22, software 3.0 OTA)
896 Posts
It's been working mostly correctly for a year with Octopus Go. I would have a schedule set to charge to my desired % at some point in the morning (which was 85% at 7.30am), I'd have a price cap of 5p per kWh. I don't use the car much so it would usually decide which 30 min slots to charge during the 4 hour cheap rate of Go.

Give I had all of the above working for about a year, I thought it would be a seamless transition to Octopus Intelligent but alas not.
Have you got any settings enabled in the Ohme like not to charge above 5/7.5p, or the save money setting, use green energy setting, etc? Turn them all off if you have.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hoi there, I am new to EV charging and got the Ohme Charger and a Kia e-niro. I had this same problem and was told there is a known issue with Android devices, after numerous attempts with the Android failing I borrowed an IPhone to egt the test charge done which worked a treat, and now can do everything from my Android. This may not be the solution for everyone but worth mentioning.

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay it finally worked. Not sure what allowed it to happen as I tried it a dozen times over the weekend without a schedule and with price cap disabled and nothing worked. I tried it a couple of times this morning which failed and then tried it again a 3rd time after quitting the apps again and it worked straight away. So according to the Octopus energy app, it is now connected.

So am I correct in thinking that I keep Ohme app free of schedules and price cap? Do I just manage everything via the Octopus app now? It says it will create a charging plan at 5pm or as soon as I plug in after 5pm. Although the app also says I'll shortly be switched over to Intelligent so maybe it hasn't switched me over yet.

Glad I eventually got it working, I was going to try an iOS device next but seems like it did work with Android although the process was far from slick.

· Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
4,013 Posts
For me, I am receiving a push notification that lets me know the charging slot(s) allocated. I have seen a single charging period and two separate charging periods overnight. All that I needed to do was to plug the car in. I already have it set to 80% by 8:00 am but can change that if need be. No schedules or price caps involved.

· Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kw
259 Posts
Bit late as its now working but on the Ohme home screen you can restart the wall box in the last year or so i have maybe done this 3 times I think it’s perhaps if Ohme have had an update and the charger is waiting to apply the software

glad you got fixed

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In case it's helpful for someone else: every time it failed it the app waited for up to 7 mins before coming back with an error message. The time that it succeeded then it went through right away.

· Registered
1,675 Posts
The instructions for linking your ohme home pro to your octopus account are, frankly, absolute crap.

I had to delete the ohme account I'd initially created and then re-enrol with ohme using a new account whose username & password was identical to the octopus account details.

Once I'd done this & associated the charger in the ohme app, the octopus app suddenly recognised the install & took me to a 'give permissions' page that granted access to octopus.

It was a massive faff, but it's working now. Unlike the charge scheduler via the tesla system (where octopus send commands to the car) I now have the simple 2330-0530 7.5p window & plug my van in whenever. The price cap (10p) stops charging outside of this window.

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've just plugged in my car at about 6.15pm and it's immediately started to charge. However, I can't see anything in the Octopus mobile app that reassures me this is because it's being done by Octopus rather than some configuration error and it's pulling from the grid at the maximum unit rate.

How can I confirm the charging happening now is part of the 10p rate?

· Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
4,013 Posts
I got this as well, can't remember if it was the first or a subsequent time. I stopped the charge on the myenergi app and then all went well. I was wondering if it is a test charge to make sure the connection can be made rather than you wake up to an empty battery.

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Ohme app has a pause charge (which I've now clicked and it's stopped the charging) but I'm not sure if Octopus will be able to override this when it comes to the genuine cheap rate. The lack of feedback on what it's doing is very unsettling.

I read somewhere in Octopus that the charging plan for the day would be viewable somewhere. I can't see this though. Anyone know where I should be looking?

· Registered
R̵e̵n̵a̵u̵l̵t̵ ̵Z̵o̵e̵ ̵Z̵E̵5̵0̵ → Fiat New 500
763 Posts
@cjm_2013 Sorry but that's wrong 😅 You should turn the price cap off for Intelligent Octopus to do its thing properly.

Also, assuming you don't actually need to unplug your car at 5.30, you should also set a later departure time for it to have a chance to schedule any charging outside of the default cheap rate hours (thus giving you more cheap rate hours).

· Registered
R̵e̵n̵a̵u̵l̵t̵ ̵Z̵o̵e̵ ̵Z̵E̵5̵0̵ → Fiat New 500
763 Posts
So am I correct in thinking that I keep Ohme app free of schedules and price cap?
You're correct about the price cap, but you still need a schedule in the Ohme app - so that Intelligent Octopus can know how much, and by when, to charge your car.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts