Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday we tried to use a 22KW charger [free to use] at Walton hospital in Chesterfield its on the CYC app, plugged in used app to start charging second later charge starts seconds later it stops charger flashing red! Tried again same result, so I know its only a 11 KW charger on board so it will only charge at that rate, I am assuming the charger works as a car was charging on the other side, or is this the problem?
Anyway we went to town shopping plugged into a 7 KW charger no issue, we then had a talk and decided to use a rapid charger just in case as we had never tried rapid charging, CYC says one is available at Dronfield so off we go its a BP one but isnt showing on their app? It does show on the CYC app strange, anyway its contactless so we start charge, 80% it slows but wont allow us to terminate charge? in end red button hit all stop! At home checking on line I discover chargemaster Ltd have charged me a £15 debit for £5.07 worth of electric and CYC two 1 penny debits whats going on anyone? I will check later and see if anything has come back into my account, checked it hasnt

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts
so I know its only a 11 KW charger on board so it will only charge at that rate, I am assuming the charger works as a car was charging on the other side, or is this the problem?
No. The 11 kW means that is the max rate your car will take (on AC). This is regardless of the output of the charge point except that if the charge point serves up less you'll get the rate given. 22 kW post you'll get 11 kW, 7 kW post you'll get 7 kW. CYC have a poor reputation so this may have been your problem.

Twin plug AC posts should allow 2 cars to charge at once without problems, but one plug on the post can be okay whilst the other is faulty. It can be a bit hit and miss sometimes.

Reactions: peterboat

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts
anyway its contactless so we start charge, 80% it slows but wont allow us to terminate charge? in end red button hit all stop!
Did you go through the full disconnect sequence on the screen? Did you swipe your card at the end? Did you pay with your phone?

Reactions: peterboat

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you go through the full disconnect sequence on the screen? Did you swipe your card at the end? Did you pay with your phone?
I was on contactless and swiped my card to no avail, I will wait until it appears properly on my online banking before bringing up the issue with them, I tried another 22 KW BP post today again it didnt work the car said low charger voltage? Jarred off or what

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. The 11 kW means that is the max rate your car will take (on AC). This is regardless of the output of the charge point except that if the charge point serves up less you'll get the rate given. 22 kW post you'll get 11 kW, 7 kW post you'll get 7 kW. CYC have a poor reputation so this may have been your problem.

Twin plug AC posts should allow 2 cars to charge at once without problems, but one plug on the post can be okay whilst the other is faulty. It can be a bit hit and miss sometimes.
Tried another post today it didnt work either, BP but activated by CYC app which it did for a couple of seconds flashed red, then car said low charger voltage? as we were going shopping went into Tesco plugged into pod point no issues charged straight away.
The problem is could it be my car? if so it has a month of big warranty left so do I have it checked out?

·
Registered
59 Posts
You need to use Google pay or Apple pay. The banks are all requesting pin verification every few contactless transactions which the chargers cant do. It's likely that starting a charge will flag the card up for a pin check, that means you then cant stop the charge. I've had this out with my bank after almost getting stuck numerous times and they are not budging on the pin check. They also said all banks are doing the same. I've had no problems at all since getting Google pay.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,679 Posts
The problem is could it be my car?
No. The problem is you are expecting anything from BP/Pulse/Polar/Chargemaster/CYC/Whatever other brand name they are using this week, to work correctly.

They are truly awful and constantly have problems. Stick to the other charging networks. If they won't recharge your car THEN you can worry about the possibility of something being wrong with your vehicle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had been using Instavolts all the time these last 3.5 years of Leaf ownership without any problems. Suddenly last Autumn started to have problems. Once would have been stranded at Hull Road if Instavolt had not given me a free vend. That same trip we tried a Polar for the first time in Malton. It took a few attempts to start it so yes, not brilliant, but it did eventually start but then the card was rejected when trying to stop the charge, so had to emegency stop which left an alarm on the car. Discovered shortly after this my credit card was blocked when doing an Amazon purchase. My bank had already confirmed that the Instavolt fail was due to them requesting a pin entry. I then put in a complaint about this which got the response that the pin requests are here to stay and they dont care if anyone gets stranded,
Please everyone, note the increased amount of comments on here that Instavolt are apparently becoming unreliable (they are not), and heed my advice about Google pay and Apple pay.
If you rely on contactless cards for charging you are going to get stuck....

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
Please everyone, note the increased amount of comments on here that Instavolt are apparently becoming unreliable (they are not), and heed my advice about Google pay and Apple pay.
If you rely on contactless cards for charging you are going to get stuck....
It is for this reason I got Instavolt's app / RFID card. Just as backup.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So today the Chargemaster £15 had gone from pending and the £5.07 hasnt appeared so at the moment its been a free charge? the two £1 CYC charges are still there on pending, the issues is I need to use these chargers on the way to Scotland and in Scotland so I am disillusioned to say the least

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,538 Posts
So today the Chargemaster £15 had gone from pending and the £5.07 hasnt appeared so at the moment its been a free charge? the two £1 CYC charges are still there on pending, the issues is I need to use these chargers on the way to Scotland and in Scotland so I am disillusioned to say the least
Aberdeenshire and now Midlothian council have introduced charges claiming this will enable them to maintain their chargers (& hopefully levy overstay penalties) and CYC is being replaced with Swarco E-volt. Fingers crossed by the end of lockdown Transport Scotland will have overseen improvements to their CPS network.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aberdeenshire and now Midlothian council have introduced charges claiming this will enable them to maintain their chargers (& hopefully levy overstay penalties) and CYC is being replaced with Swarco E-volt. Fingers crossed by the end of lockdown Transport Scotland will have overseen improvements to their CPS network.
I only go to Auchencairn nr castle douglas so I will see how it goes when we are finally allowed to travel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts