Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
E-up bought as a new car last year (either model 2015 or 2016).

I experience difficulties with my VW E-up when I try to charge with DC 50 kW charger.
The problem is that it only occurs during winther, when the temperatures get below zero degrees. It works perfectly during summers.

The ABB charging system always says: "Charging failure. The car has detected a problem.". And the charging always stops about 40 sec. after the charging starts or like when it has charged about 0,40 kWh.

My local dealer seems to have no glue of what the problem might be.

Funny thing is that I encountered another VW E-up owner (bought in 2015). The owner did not have problems with charging with DC 50 kW charger.

Any of your might have an idea of what the problem is with my charging?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'm not sure about the Eup but the Leaf charges very slowly once temps start to get down to around -4 and it will take a few rapid charges to warm the battery up enough in order to take the charge faster.

Maybe there is some documentation which explains how the Eup behaves in these conditions? Perhaps that part of the charger is not reporting the temp correctly? Is your car still under warranty?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Whenever I get issues with rapid charging I try slow charging for 15 minutes and that seems to sort things out.

Only happens at temperature extremes, e.g. sub-zero or hot after multiple rapid charges (very long distance driving)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hi
E-up bought as a new car last year (either model 2015 or 2016).
Welcome to the forum, Ludvig. I can't help answer your charging question, but delighted to see a Greenlander here. Can you tell us about your typical journeys, what the charging infrastructure is like and how EVs are perceived in Greenland?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,788 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

There is a point of low temperature where lithium ion batteries won't charge.

Just below zero C should not have a problem.

A lot below zero might cause problems.

Put it this way, either it shouldn't charge and so it doesn't (in which case it is too cold and as @Magnamundian said above you should try a slow charge first) or it should charge and doesn't, in which case your dealer should acknowledge the problem and if they don't then it is your dealer than needs to be 'fixed' before your car!

@Jonathan Oates asks what your usual charging routine is. This is a good question. If you rely on rapid chargers and you are getting to the charger when the car is still cold and not done many miles, then you will have problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have seen a lot of "communication" errors similar to what you describe on the 50kW system at the local VW dealer. Theirs has a "AMI Bios" and looks like 4 server racks inside with network cables. Seems like a total "cluster fsck" to me on the technical side. The thing has to be rebooted and 3x out of 5 they say it works, but when not "reboot". So it could just be bad code written by 90 people when all you probably need is a relay switch to say start, stop, pause someplace.....and not a mainframe.....

I have charged outside on another 50kW system open to the public that never has issues and has 5 stars ratings on charge maps. I have also charged on a city system "Auto bleue" and never had any problems, and that one is outside too. So my "suspicion" is you might have a charger to car communications issue that is human caused (i.e. sloppy code).

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm completely new to evs, so don't really know much, but have just watched this video about the difficulty in fast charging a Tesla in low temperatures in Norway:

No idea if it might be a similar issue of fast charging a cold battery? At the end he says it's best to fast charge at the end of a journey whilst the car is still warm rather than the next day when it is really cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts