Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone with knowledge of EH and electronic payment processes could shed some light.

I use a start-up bank, called Monzo. The associated smartphone app details every transaction pretty much in real-time.

When I use an EH charger it asks me to confirm the card security number. As soon as I enter the code it charges £12 and my Monzo balance goes down. EH say they are reserving the amount, but Monzo treat it as a charge on my account. I think other banks reduce your 'available balance' but don't necessarily show it as a deduction. Either way around, it is no longer available to spend.

When the charge finishes I get an email invoice from EH. For the sake of an example, let's assume it is £6.50.

What would you expect to happen next?

I thought one of two things.

OPTION ONE
EH charge my card with £6.50 and release the reserved £12. So I would see a refund of £12 and a charge of £6.50.

OPTION TWO
EH tell Monzo to pass them £6.50 of the reserved amount and to refund me the remaining £5.50. So I see £12 out and £5.50 back in.

What actually happens?

Well according to my Monzo statements over the last 8 to 10 weeks they (seemingly randomly) use both methods. It is therefore hard to reconcile.

Now the added twist. The EH equipment is not reliable. I can enter the security code (and see £12 go from my Monzo account) only to find the charge does not begin and I have to start again. I have received 7 EH invoices in the last two months but they have reserved £12 against my account 13 times. My invoice total over 2 months is £32, but they have reserved £156.

The worst example was at the beginning of January. I ended up with no invoices yet had three £12 charges on my account. As there was no invoice there was no trigger for them to use either OPTION ONE or OPTION TWO. The £36 reserved funds sat in limbo. It was three weeks later when I raised it with Monzo and they refunded the £36, but only after I got EH to email me to say I didn't owe them anything, then forwarded that to Monzo.

Because there are often a number of £12 reserved amounts outstanding it is hard to reconcile what I have been charged. For example I received a £34 refund a day after a £2 charge, presumably giving me back three reserved amounts less the £2 invoice.

I've added up all the invoices and tried to match them against either a direct charge on Monzo, or a deduction from a reserved £12, being the two ways they seem to work. I found that I have overpaid by £4. Monzo tell me there are no outstanding reserved amounts to be released, so quite how this has happened I don't know.

When I bring this up with EH they say "We don't get the £12. We just ask your bank to reserve it."

Has anyone else had problems reconciling EH payments?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Sorry I started another thread as I couldn't find any more - I must learn to search better - Yes I had the same problem yesterday - I ended up pay £24 out getting £23.40 back and then got charged 67P in total - I don't use them very often thank god. I also find their pumps slow - it takes around 4 mins for them to put 1kWh into my car - the same as it does on my home charger

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
As has been said already, the terminal usually connects to 'authorise' the amount. This gets approval for the charge, to ensure that you have the money to pay and to reserve the credit, so you can't spend the money elsewhere, until...

The 'settlement' which is usually an overnight batch run, where the money is debited from your account.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I think part of the problem is that Monzo aren't part of the main Faster Payment System, but rely on piggy-backing off one of the major UK banks, so there will be reconciliation issues. However, it's not acceptable to take 3 weeks to refund money, so you should make a formal complaint to Monzo about their procedures.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think part of the problem is that Monzo aren't part of the main Faster Payment System, but rely on piggy-backing off one of the major UK banks.
Where do you get that from? They're in independent bank and part of faster payments.

There's an option in the app to release preauths, if it's an issue (have needed that with EH a couple of times). OTOH It's becoming less and less of an issue with most retailers.. it's rare now to have preauths last more than 24 hours, even for small retailers. A year ago 7-14 days wasn't that uncommon.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Ooh, excellent. Can you point me to it? Ta.
On the transaction click on 'something wrong?' then the third option 'something is wrong', then 'Question this payment' and you'll get a 'claim the money now' button.

It's behind some kind of AI which for some people requires manual verification but it's always worked instantly for me.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the transaction click on 'something wrong?' then the third option 'something is wrong', then 'Question this payment' and you'll get a 'claim the money now' button.

It's behind some kind of AI which for some people requires manual verification but it's always worked instantly for me.
Good advice... will try that next time, thanks :)

·
Zoe Devotee
8,860 Posts
- it takes around 4 mins for them to put 1kWh into my car - the same as it does on my home charger
You are aware your car charges at a max of 22kw and the chargers will be closer to 40kw output. 22kw / 60mins = 0.36kwh per minute peak (you'll may get less average if pack not low on charge or cool). It you had a Q model Zoe that would be closer to 0.66kwh per minute.

A typical home charger, 7kw will be more like 0.11kwh per minute.

All that aside, I agree their chargers are slow, the Q Zoe can charge at 43kw, if the charger can output that (I've seen 1 charger ever outputting more than 43kwh, which meant the Zoe could charge at 42kw, they tend to charge at 1-2kw below peak because chargers don't seem to cope). Most EH chargers are at best 40kw output.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts