Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I wonder if anyone has experienced problems with their EV not charging ? I have a hybrid evoque that was brand new in December. Charged ok on podpoints. In March I had an octopus energy EO charger fitted at home. Pretty shambolic service but even worse is my car stopped charging within 24 hours of using the charger. The electrics tripped on the charger unit & the installation engineer couldn’t figure out what was wrong. He then jammed my charger cable in the socket so land rover had to take the car in for repairs as once the cable was removed the car wouldn’t charge. Land Rover are at a loss as to what’s wrong and have given me a ev courtesy car last weekend. 48 hours later this Ev has also stopped charging. I managed 2 charges but both took hours & hours. On the third charge it tripped again & the car stopped charging. I’ve taken it to podpoints & it won’t charge in them now also. The white light on the charge socket won’t turn green. EO have now admitted to the fact that the engineer had mistakenly set my safety to 10% of my 100 amp max (ie 10 amps) rather than 90%. However i am at a loss as to how 2 brand new Evs have failed with the same unknown fault that Land Rover can’t figure out. I am sure it’s the charger doing something to the car. I don’t know whether to tell Land Rover about the charger issues or if it’s just a terrible coincidence. EO clearly think it’s just an awful coincidence as they don’t want to admit liability to damaging 2 brand new cars. Any thoughts would be gratefully received. Thx

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
The fact that the car won't charge on Podpoints tells me the car's broken, not the EO. Or your Type-2 cable's broken/shorting internally, could be from Live wire to the CP Signal wire or even to the PP "am-in-plugged-in?" pin at the car's end

There's just about nothing at all that an EVSE can do to damage an EV. All the EV does is offer a certain amount of current to the car. The High-voltage 240V AC stuff comes straight from the mains through a contactor, nothing at all that EO can do to affect that. There's a single 12V wire, the CP Signal line, with a 1000 Ohm series resistor inside the EVSE (so max of 12 milliamps could be drawn in worst-case scenario, about enough to light a small led) going from EVSE to the car. The PP pins are local to each end of the cable itself, so each end can be checked to see if it's plugegd in or not, and a resistance tells the cable's capacity.

This 12V CP line has the 12V being wiggled down, & back up to 12V (actually it gets pulled down to 6V by the car when car wants power) to signal just how much current is allowed to be drawn. The EVSE can signal 0 Amps, or anywhere from 6A upwards to usually 32A. It is entirely up to the car whether or not to draw current, how much, and it's up to the car not to exceed what the EVSE offers. Nothing the EVSE can do to command the car to misbehave, or damage it.

But the car could damage the EVSE by taking a lot more current than is on offer. We've never heard of this happening. And the EVSE probably wouldn't notice, until the circuit-breaker trips from overload. Not the case here, I think.

The only way I've known the EVSE damage the car, happened to me last year, was my ancient "granny" EVSE decided to blow up internally. This must have sent a mains spike/pulse down the 12V signal line, and that damaged my EV's charge controller slightly. Charging was hit & miss for a couple of weeks, getting more unpredictable whether wall-EVSE or new replacement granny would work or not, then stopped completely. So off to dealer & £1300 bill for new charge-controller module.

If this has happened to your EO, you'll know all about it! Lights will not come on, and there will be a charred mess inside it. Do check (isolate it first!) for anything looking burnt-out!

You should try a different Type-2 cable in another Pod-point. And get someone to check your cable. This weill determine if cable is faulty. There could be 240V leaking into the CP or PP at the car's end. If into the PP line, the EVSE will not be able to detect this at all. Whereabout do you live? Do you have a Multimeter handy?

I assume your EO is tethered? Need to see if any short between Live & CP, or between Live and PP. Also if any shorts between L, N, E.

Does EO have any signal-LEDs to indicate problems?

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,125 Posts
With a bit of luck it's just the cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts