Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We've recently tried rapid charging (22kW) on the 50kW BP Pulse chargers that offer a 43kW a.c. tethered connection. However we've tried three and all three fail to start the charge properly - the car keeps saying it's doing checks, momentarily flicking away and then back again to the same screen, before eventually timing out. The same chargers work fine on our Polestar 2 on a CCS connection, which I appreciate is a bit different but it shows the chargers are basically functional.

Has anyone else experienced problems with a 2019 ZE40 R110 on BP Pulse 50kW rapid chargers? Any advice? We've been holding the cable firmly in place, and initiated the charge at the charger first before plugging the cable in...

The car charges perfectly every time at home on our 7kW a.c. charger.

Many thanks. Hopefully it's not a trip to the dealer :(

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
I'd try a socketed BP charger with your own cable that does 22kw to rule out an issue with the 3 phase charging on the Zoe.

I've used a few BP ultrachargers with the ZE40 and they were all fine. Also socketed one at Colwyn Bay. Also fine. Apart from one Holiday Inn where it was slooowwwwwer than a slug in treacle mine was ok. Even used the cracked AC lead at some Rivington with ecotricity without issue.

I'd be inclined to think the car might be problematic if it's only 3 phase charging that gives it the fritz.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's what I feared to be honest. We don't have a 22kW cable but do have a three-phase 11kW cable, so maybe we'll try that next at the GeniePoint in Morrison's. There's also the Ecotricity chargers with tethered 43kW cables to try too, although Ecotricity's unreliability is a big issue in the first place!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the Zoe came with a 22kw 32 amp cable?? I'm sure mine did.
Oohhh my calculations were wrong!! Yes, of course, 32A at 480V would be 22kW. (It being 3 phase, 240V, 32A, but marked as 480V due to arrangement of phases - in case anyone reads this later). Back to GeniePoint we go!

Reactions: Spike and srichards

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
There's also the Ecotricity chargers with tethered 43kW cables to try too, although Ecotricity's unreliability is a big issue in the first place!
Ecotricity is perfectly reliable on AC43 as well as Chademo, even on their very oldest chargers. It's only CCS which can be problematic at times. I use Ecotricity with a Zoe all the time and it works absolutely fine. Really, don't discount that network when driving a non-CCS EV.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,339 Posts
I had a Polar charge fail on my Q90 about a week a go
I rang Polar to ask them reset the charger then any everthing worked fine.
Sometimes the cable might move ( like getting back into car ) while the car does a handshake with the car and that
caused a fault.

Plus dont plug into the car before it tells you too as it some time it fails ( Geniepoint / Engie chargers )

Only had the Ecotricity fail once ( Bad Earth ) at :

A55 (W) Kinmel Park Services EuroGarages
Kinmel Park,
Expressway Westbound, A55, Bodelwyddan, Rhyl LL18 5XE

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all, that's extremely helpful.

We've just been to the nearby Warwick M40 Nortbound services for Ecotricity (1.1 miles from our house as the crow flies, 8 miles due to being halfway between M40 junctions!) and it worked absolutely perfectly first time (well, once we'd set charging to be immediate and not timed :rolleyes:). You're quite right about Ecotricity, it's CCS that's problematic; however the M40 Southbound Ecotricity has many ZapMap comments saying the a.c. one is broken, so it could have gone either way.

We then went on to the Geniepoint at Morrison's in Leamington and couldn't get it to start a charge. We were using our 22kW cable supplied with the Zoe, used the Geniepoint app with £10 of credit and set the charger via the app to start charging, then plugged in the cable - charger first, Zoe second, with the Zoe doors open but not "on" if you see what I mean. It just stuck on "Ongoing checks"; once it then turned red and said "Check connections", and the second time it simply stuck there until the charger timed out after 2 minutes.

Next step is to take the Polestar and the Zoe to the GeniePoint with both 3-phase 32A cables. If the Polestar charges fine with both cables, and the Zoe refuses to charge with either cable, then I think it's fair to say the Zoe's charger is suspect?

Reactions: Spike and dparr59

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Beware !
Geniepoint has installed there Engie Chargers in West Yorkshire which are free to use until oct 2021
but i found 2 where the 22kw socket had never been tested before they let the public use them.
And i was the 1st to use them , one is across the road from where i live ( Fault )
the other in wakefield town centre ( comment left on Plugshare below : timed out every time no power to socket )

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line with CCS
120 Posts
I have a ZE40 Q90 and it's worked fine on Polar/BP Pulse chargers. The only time it has trouble is on my local Chargeplace Scotland charger which is the regular 50kw Polar unit. It always fails to charge when I am below 35% SOC. Above that it is fine. The Lancaster Park & Ride units worked fine with it.

As to Geniepoint, my Q90 has never worked on any of their rapids. So much so that I have £38 in my account... and it has been in there for three years.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Intersting - looking at ZapMap comments, it doesn't look like anyone's had a particularly successful charge on the Type 2, so we'll see if we have any success with the Polestar.

So much for those who say the UK's charging network is ready for mass EV adoption!!

I've sent GeniePoint a Twitter message to see what they say.

Reactions: Spike

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i have used a Geniepoint Rapid 43kw at Morrisons Beverley , Workington council Cumbria , Low Fold Car Park Ambleside , Brewer Street Car Park, Ulverston
the one at Ulverton caused a fault on the zoe ( 2 months old ) and i had the pulse boxe replaced.
Most of the Geniepoint ones are just a Type 2 socket and work fine.
Plus when i purchased a Geniepoint card ( 2017 ) i never been charged for the connection fee (y)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does sound a bit mixed then! This is a brand new charger though, only installed a few months back...

Reactions: dparr59

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RIght, GeniePoint charger just worked fine - believe it or not, even when you've tapped "Start Charge" on the app, you then also have to tap "Start" on the touchscreen as well!!

No idea why the BP Pulse one doesn't work. We'll have another try on a different BP Pulse charger at some point, but at least we know that the Zoe's charger is fine!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
RIght, GeniePoint charger just worked fine - believe it or not, even when you've tapped "Start Charge" on the app, you then also have to tap "Start" on the touchscreen as well!!

No idea why the BP Pulse one doesn't work. We'll have another try on a different BP Pulse charger at some point, but at least we know that the Zoe's charger is fine!
Does your car stick on the screen below ( Please Connect Vehicle ) and then time out ?
And never gets to the Safety check screen ( 2nd Photo below ) ( But does charge after a remore reset after ringing up BP Chargmaster )

I have had this problem for over the last 3 months and its around the time BP Chargemaster updated the screen payment software on the ultra 50 kw Rapids.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We only tried on two BP Pulse chargers before giving up on our Zoe. Both times they did exactly the same thing, just forever sat there trying to complete the car checks and never getting anywhere. We gave up after sitting on hold for 20 minutes and went to an Ecotricity which worked first time - there's a turn-up for the books!
They had a big overhaul of the software about 5-6 months ago and it seems to have improved some things but (predictably) broken others...
I'm afraid I can't remember what the screen shows as it was some weeks back now, sorry...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You mentioned the same problems on your polestar 2 on twitter at 2 different BP pulse ultras ( Hereford and Aberystwyth )
Which sounds like the same problem as my Zoe.
1st Fails to start charge ( times out )
But after you ring up bp Chargemaster and they remotely reset the charger and it works ok.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting, though that was CCS on my Polestar not on the Zoe. We only tried it those two times in one day about 2 months ago and haven't tried again since, as we were just doing a test to see which nearby chargers work with the Zoe. We're about to have some fairly major underpinning work done on our house and may lose the use of the charger for a few months!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Interesting, though that was CCS on my Polestar not on the Zoe. We only tried it those two times in one day about 2 months ago and haven't tried again since, as we were just doing a test to see which nearby chargers work with the Zoe. We're about to have some fairly major underpinning work done on our house and may lose the use of the charger for a few months!
I am trying work out if the problem is caused by bp pulse ( software update ) that affects not just a Renault Zoe using AC but other cars that use other connections like CCS & ChadeMo on the 50kW bp pulse ultra

Because the same 50 kW ultra that worked ok last year now don't and i nearly always end up ringing up to have the charger reset so i can then use it.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It would certainly be good to know, yes... I think we've found the same thing a month or two back as well, thinking about it, using the Polestar on a different 50kW charger (Warwick Racecourse), i.e. we had to do it twice. Definitely looks like a bug in their current 50kW charger software, I agree...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts