Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put my Ampera in for its first service and I have also reported some issues that I have asked them to resolve.

1) SatNav - only 5 char post codes

2) Radio has a mind of its own regarding presets

3) Reversing camera is completely useless at night. Way too dark.

4) Bluetooth not compatible with my Samsung Galaxy Note N7000. It is a mainstream Android and been out for well over a year. I think it is not unreasonable for Vauxhall to periodically provide a upgrade to make standard phones compatible. By the time Vauxhall release an update at this rate I shall be on to my next phone! I think a year is long enough.

I have told them that I will leave the car with the dealer until these issues are fixed. In the meantime Vauxhall has supplied an Insignia hire car.

Now, about the Insignia... the software WORKS as it should. The Bluetooth works properly with my phone. The radio seems to work properly. If they can get this stuff working on an ICE then I see no reason why they shouldn't have it working at least as good on the Ampera.

I shall update this thread with updates on progress but I am going to insist these issues are fixed before I take delivery back... at least that is how I feel at the moment so we will see how long Vauxhall take and whether they continue to provide the hire car.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
#1, best of luck but I don't expect that will change.

#2, I really hope they have a fix for that, I want it too.

#3, I haven't noticed a problem here. have you tried adjusting brightness and contrast?

#4, yes they should support more bluetooth profiles though I suspect they'll claim that it's Android's fault for not supporting enough profiles.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Dave Mathers said:
I have the same problem with the reversing camera, how do you adjust the brightness and contrast Duncan
Shift into reverse then when the camera is on press the 'menu' button and use the on-screen controls.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had my first service a couple of weeks ago.
Also gav the Sat Nav issue as a key problem to address. They updated with the latest CD, and left the CD for me. The stance they are taking is that there is no intention of reviewing the incomplete postcode issue and yet again I was frustrated last week trying to locate a resteraunt near Northampton. It is crap.

On a further problem, and I have seen this somewhere in the forum before, I returned to the car this morning (away from home) and the car unlocked fine but simply would not start. I eventually resolved it by leaving the vehicle for a minute, with key out of range and it started on return, but I had already wasted time trying to start the car without fail with a very unimpressed wife.
Anyone know why this fault occurs to prevent it happening again? If she had been in the car alone and not known about the computer reset (which is, I assume what happened to correct it) it would have been worse.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interested to read Duncan's comment how to change the screen brightness/contrast on the Volt, on the Ampera I have no such selection you alter the brightness off the dash dimming control.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No such adjustment for me AFAIR but the car is with the garage so I can't check.

It does kinda suggest that it should be adjustable if it can be adjusted on the Volt.

Still, they have the car until these issues are fixed so I may not be getting it back!

I am seriously thinking about selling it now. Not just because of these issues but generally because I have totally fallen out of love with it. Especially now I have this Insignia hire car... it is better in almost every way... except it is not an EV... and £10k cheaper.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have those controls appear on my screen when I press 'Menu' while in reverse (Oct 2012 Ampera)... Must be down to slightly later software level. Like being able to display software levels which others with May/June 2012 cars can't.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
hopbackguy said:
I have those controls appear on my screen when I press 'Menu' while in reverse (Oct 2012 Ampera)... Must be down to slightly later software level. Like being able to display software levels which others with May/June 2012 cars can't.
I think it's a difference between the satnav and non-satnav versions. A bit of searching on gm-volt.com suggests that the ability to adjust contrast and brightness isn't on the satnav models:

There is a comment here that the camera brightness is not adjustable... it is. I have a '12 with standard radio and pressing the TUNE/MENU button while in in reverse brings up brightness and contrast buttons. I was able to adjust mine an it looks fine.
I have the 2012 with navigation. I have tried that suggestion. (I have tried pressing the tune/menu button while the vehicle is shifted into reverse and it does NOT adjust bring up a menu to adjust the brightness on my 2012 Volt with navigation. ) I have contacted my Volt advosor and I was told the camera is NOT adjustable on my car. I have taken my Volt into my dealership service department and asked the service manager about this issue and was told that it is NOT adjustable on the 2012 Volt. The service manager said it WAS previously adjustable on the 2011 Volt... But this feature was omitted in later models. I hope I have made my point crystal clear. It is a problem. Do you need me to shoot a video and show you how it does not work?
Sorry for being misleading, I hadn't realised that when we lost the reversing lines we gained screen adjustment as compensation.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just heard from my dealer... Vauxhall and the dealer have said that the camera is operating "normally". So, it seems that Vauxhall are OK with the reversing camera only being useable in the daytime. I am not.

They have also made it clear that the SatNav is operating "normally" in that it was never designed to use 7 character post codes. They have said that they have no intention at the current time to change this functionality.

The Bluetooth works with the phones that are listed as compatible. They say that is due course they may, or may not, bring out a software update to include the Samsung Galaxy Note. For now I have to either get a phone on the compatibility list or not use bluetooth. I find this quite unacceptable given that this is a popular model and that it has been out for well over a year.

The radio issues they say they cannot replicate and so they consider there to be no issue.

All in all I find the attitude of both Vauxhall and my dealer as quite unacceptable and so I have decided to sell my Ampera and get a car from a company that I know values their customers, probably a Nissan. It won't be a EV or PHEV but that is the price I have to accept at this stage of the EV game.

So, if you know of anyone looking for a well looked after Ampera Electron, Metallic Grey, 16K miles then we are open to serious offers. We will be advertising, probably on AutoTrader, in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I will be sorry to loose you Paul,and of course we will all be interested in what you get for yours.I still think that the voltec drive system is the best i have ever driven and have got used to the poor headlights and rubbish satnav.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry Paul that you have been put off your Ampera by its unresolved ongoing issues, etc.
Do you still have the Nissan Leaf? as you were a very early adopter of the "Electric Dream" and have always given lively, informative input to this forum since you started it.
One thing seems to have come to light, although us owners of the Ampera and Volt have basically the same car, the software seems to vary according to age, model and whether being a Volt or Ampera, all ocurring within one year. Maybe it comes under the banner of continual improvement and updates of software will not occur, hope I am wrong.
Hope that you will continue to add to the forum and wish you well in getting a replacement shortly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've just received my car back from its first service. All nice and clean with the tyres blacked.
I checked the oil and it looked dirty. So I phoned to ask if they'd changed it and was told they don't change the oil or filter until the second service!
All they did was check the refridgerants, washer bottle ( which was left open) and do a wiper recall.
I was quite shocked to think the oil and filter will be dirty for another year, especially as most of my mileage is done on engine at the moment.
Can't be good for it surely?
They kept the car overnight to do all this, and returned it next day under engine power, because I didn't leave my charger lead in the car.
Can you believe, Go Vauxhall of Wimbledon (formally Phoenix, before they went bust) don't keep a charge lead on the premesis?

·
Registered
145 Posts
The oil and filter needs to be replaced once the oil life reaches 100% as shown on the main driving display or if below 100% on its second service.
When mine was serviced they did not mention a wiper recall, what are the details please?
After its service the plastic cap on the tyre was lost, unfortunatey the cap comes complete with the pressure monitoring valve which costs nearly £60 to replace :shock: , moral of the story, make sure the cap is screwed on tight after adding air and checking tyre pressure.

·
Premium Member
11,236 Posts
Probably not of interest to Paul C as he is selling his Ampera, but just in case anyone else has a Samsung Galaxy Note N7000.

I have one running the latest (official) Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware and it works very well with the Ampera. This firmware is currently available for unlocked phones but may not yet be available for network locked models. The previous firmware worked OK for me; it did occasionally have a hiccup, but this was certainly the phone as my Nokia 700 worked flawlessly.

One of the (many) features I really like of my Ampera is the "SAP - SIM Access Profile" and the Galaxy Note works very well in this mode. If you have not seen my previous posts, using a SAP connection provides many benefits including better signal, longer battery life (I leave in coat pocket) and text messages on screen. It does stop you getting email while driving, but IMHO that is a good safety feature as avoids the temptation to read them while driving :)

·
Premium Member
11,236 Posts
@Brian - Regarding your comments regarding the tyre valve cap. The pressure measuring system is NOT in the cap - it is in the wheel the other-side of the valve. You can prove this by removing the caps and checking that the pressure measuring still works - which it does. You may want to check why the garage charged you £60 - did they actually replace the valve and pressure sensor?

@Dave - I echo you sentiments regarding the Ampera. I was disappointed the car didn't have full postcodes, but as I didn't have them on my last car (a Lexus) I am used to coping without them!

I think the reversing camera at night might be helped by more light so I am going to add some LEDs soon to see if that helps things. I will let you know once done!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Paul, Re : missing tyre valve cap.
From what I understand, the price of nearly £60 was for the cap, valve and possibly the pressure sensor, supplied as one part. The plastic cap was not listed as a spare. The plastic cap was eventually replaced on its own, free of charge.
Thanks for your clarification.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts