Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Kona 2020 Premium SE 64kW
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 week old Kona Premium SE has just been called in for a "product enhancement inspection". Any idea what this is? I feel a little miffed that I have the inconvenience of driving back to the dealer and hanging around for whatever time it takes on such a new car. I would have thought they might have known something was coming along and would have done whatever is necessary before handing over the car.

·
Registered
Kona 64
578 Posts
I do not know but a tip is to take a photo of the System Info Screen before and after to record any on screen enhancement. Otherwise you will just have to ask them what they are doing in case it is a physical inspection.
I recommend taking screen shots because mine went in for map updates last week. “Yes sir we have done the updates” Get home and find the before and after photos show no differences and the maps are still as per when the car was new September 18! Aagghh.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
497 Posts
I do not know but a tip is to take a photo of the System Info Screen before and after to record any on screen enhancement. Otherwise you will just have to ask them what they are doing in case it is a physical inspection.
I recommend taking screen shots because mine went in for map updates last week. “Yes sir we have done the updates” Get home and find the before and after photos show no differences and the maps are still as per when the car was new September 18! Aagghh.
Exactly. I am sure they spent time and energy doing whatever they did. But sometimes upgrades don't take and the engineer may run out of time/patience to try again, and again. T'would be good if such matters could be interrogated from OBD2 / torquepro etc.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
My 3 week old Kona Premium SE has just been called in for a "product enhancement inspection". Any idea what this is? I feel a little miffed that I have the inconvenience of driving back to the dealer and hanging around for whatever time it takes
You should call them back and ask what it is they are going to do and how long it will take. If it's a software update it could be four hours and you probably won't enjoy hanging around for that unexpectedly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It could be special lingo for the BMS software update?
I doubt they would call you in for an entertainment system upgrade, which is the only thing that would be visible from taking a screenshot. The cars internal system software versions are not visible to us in any (known) way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've emailed asking for more details so we'll see what they say tomorrow. If I don't hear I'll certainly call them. I won't be happy if I'm made to hang around so (polite!) words will be said.

Surely as it's a 3 week old 2020 car it can't be BMS software, if it is they will need to explain why it wasn't done before delivery.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've emailed asking for more details so we'll see what they say tomorrow. If I don't hear I'll certainly call them. I won't be happy if I'm made to hang around so (polite!) words will be said.

Surely as it's a 3 week old 2020 car it can't be BMS software, if it is they will need to explain why it wasn't done before delivery.
Ask them for a loan Kona and they can have it for as long as they like. (i.e, re-do the software upgrade until it works. :))

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 3 week old Kona Premium SE has just been called in for a "product enhancement inspection". Any idea what this is? I feel a little miffed that I have the inconvenience of driving back to the dealer and hanging around for whatever time it takes on such a new car. I would have thought they might have known something was coming along and would have done whatever is necessary before handing over the car.
I had and email with the same amusingly named "product enhancement inspection". For my 2019 Kona it was the new battery management update, yours is possibly the same although with it only being three weeks old, it would be a surprise if they had not applied the latest updates in the pre-delivery inspection.

I chatted with the tech at my local dealership after the update and he told me it was four modules including the BMS.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,689 Posts
That's what they say instead of bug fix or update
Yep, all the manufacturers have switched to similar vague terms. The 'needs a part replaced or any kind of fix done is not very reassuring for their customers I imagine. Ask them straight if its to fix a fault or is it a safety thing. If not tell them they can do it at first service or they can collect/provide a courtesy car. Its worked for me in the past. They always seem surprised that I am not willing to waste my time and that they have to make the effort.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Depends. It's quite a new campaign, as they call it, so they probably have a priority scale. Cars going in for service, etc. get flagged to be done while they are at the dealer. Others will probably get called in over time.

If it came from Tilbury recently you'd think they'd have done it. But if the dealer had it for a while before you took delivery it might have missed the flag then and has only now been called.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Latest update, I've just spoken to the service manager and apparently it's a new BMS update which was issued by Hyundai about 3 weeks ago. It's different from the 2019 model BMS update. He didn't know what issue it was supposed to correct but assured me it wasn't safety related. Just to add to the fun, the unit they use to updated the system has a faulty interface plug so they are waiting for a replacement to be delivered before they can start doing the work.

After explaining my concerns they agreed to pick up the car from me at a convenient time to get the work done and then deliver it back. Seems a good option to me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same email yesterday from Motorline Hyundai. We were already waiting for the BMS update which wasn't done our one year service last month because they didn't have the required equipment, and still haven't been able to get it from head office or wherever. I phoned the dealer to check that was it, and she confirmed it must be, as they system wasn't showing anything else we needed. But still another 2 weeks to wait till they get whatever it is that they need.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
apparently it's a new BMS update which was issued by Hyundai about 3 weeks ago. It's different from the 2019 model BMS update
Mine's a 2019.
I had the 4 main updates (BMS + 3) about two weeks ago and the nav about one week ago.
Now I've just received the email for the 'product enhancement inspection'. So it certainly looks like something new.

It may be a fresh or revised update, but I guess it's possible it's just a check and correct to make sure the previous updates have been properly done/taken since there do seem to have been a few partial failures.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine's a 2019.
I had the 4 main updates (BMS + 3) about two weeks ago and the nav about one week ago.
Now I've just received the email for the 'product enhancement inspection'. So it certainly looks like something new.

It may be a fresh or revised update, but I guess it's possible it's just a check and correct to make sure the previous updates have been properly done/taken since there do seem to have been a few partial failures.
I have a September 2018 Kona and received a Product Enhancement email on 30th June followed almost immediately by a reminder that the Two Year Service is due on 8th September.

Dealership happy to do both on same day - 7th September.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I just collected mine yesterday, and I have no idea whether I'm going to receive that email but if you want to compare with my version numbers you can see whether they changed any in the last 3 weeks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactly the same details as mine.

Reactions: Duncan
1 - 20 of 36 Posts